• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FORCES PHOTO SITE SHUT DOWN

Ladies and gentlemen, the final answer.....

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/common/combatcamera/find_e.asp

"Photo captions attached to the photos posted in the CF Image Gallery are temporarily offline until the backlog of translating the captions is complete."

And it took how long to reach this conclusion?

milnewstbay said:
Ladies and gentlemen, the final answer.....

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/common/combatcamera/find_e.asp

"Photo captions attached to the photos posted in the CF Image Gallery are temporarily offline until the backlog of translating the captions is complete."

Someone with the requisite influence must be a member here.

An online explanation - what a concept.

Hopefully the issue will be resolved shortly.  Theres a few pictures of mine on there.

Edited when I re-read and realized the obvious.

milnewstbay said:

Les légendes des photos affichées au Répertoire d'images des Forces canadiennes seront temporairement supprimées jusqu'à ce que toutes les traductions soient terminées.

Note that the photos are back and the search function seems to work "en anglais".

It's nice to see that the Gallery itself is back up, even though it's without the captions. Of course, now the issue becomes that images can end up out of context without the captions. Even though the captions aren't shown, they still exist.

For those of you that aren't aware, the captions that are shown are actually embedded in the pictures by the photographer using metadata in IPTC (International Press Telecommunications Council) format. If you're not aware of how to access this information, it can be accessed with most graphics editing programs (Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Nikon Capture, Lightroom, etc). In Photoshop and Photoshop elements, this can be found under File->File Info (Alt+Ctrl+I).

Most reporters and photographers already know this information so hopefully they won't start taking the images out of context.

Maclimius said:
For those of you that aren't aware, the captions that are shown are actually embedded in the pictures by the photographer using metadata in IPTC (International Press Telecommunications Council) format. If you're not aware of how to access this information, it can be accessed with most graphics editing programs (Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Nikon Capture, Lightroom, etc). In Photoshop and Photoshop elements, this can be found under File->File Info (Alt+Ctrl+I).

Thanks!

Edit: ya you're right Geo, too harsh. I just hate that language police stuff

Flawed design... what are you babbling about.

WRT having both languages.  The masters of "combat camera" knew they were supposed to be providing a service in both lauguages - but weren't.  Is it a case of their not being financed but expected to provide the service nevertheless?  That may be the case BUT, regardless, the masters of Combat Camera's masters have gotten into the act & it will get done.... like it shoulda been done in the 1st place.

The site is working - just like they said it would continue to work
So the captions are missing for the time being.... what of it.

Back