• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forced to pay / belong to a mess [Merged]

recceguy said:
Or leave it for us that are sitting near you. We've been known to accomodate picky eaters by helping them out. YOU pay for it, WE'LL eat it for you. How's that? ;)
On top of that, if you don't drink, don't you DARE hold your hand over your wine glass when they go around filling them up.  I, er, I mean, someone will gladly take care of emptying those glasses for you too.  ;D

navymich said:
On top of that, if you don't drink, don't you DARE hold your hand over your wine glass when they go around filling them up.  I, er, I mean, someone will gladly take care of emptying those glasses for you too.  ;D

Especially if the Head Wine Stewart is an acquaintance (like say a Regimental Association Mess Dinner I was at...I think my blood was 1 part blood, 2 parts white wine).   8)

navymich said:

Mmm... I should keep that in mind. I guess I could make a whole lot of friends this way...

I agree, paying to attend a function that bores the crap out of me is dumb. But then, a lot of things we do in the CF is dumb. So, I see it as one of those things I have to put up with, in order to do the things I enjoy. F'r instance: I love jumping out of airplanes, but I hate doing refreshers.

paracowboy said:
I agree, paying to attend a function that bores the crap out of me is dumb. But then, a lot of things we do in the CF is dumb. So, I see it as one of those things I have to put up with, in order to do the things I enjoy. F'r instance: I love jumping out of airplanes, but I hate doing refreshers.

+1

Also, to me  it seems like one of those things where you might win the battle, but not the war.

ahhh........the bag licker's ball...I mean mess dinners....as a young gunner, I recall serving the odd officer's mess dinner and what a bunch of children......but usually a unit mess dinner is good. We had a Sqn mess dinner whn I was in 435 years ago, the dress was clean coveralls with shirt and bowtie for groundcrew and flying suits with shirt and bowtie for aircrew. What a blast! And of course a huge food fight ensued. It cost us about  $1500 (probably more) for the cleaning bill for the carpets etc. And base clean-up also... The best mess dinner I've been to. ;D  And usually the Jr ranks(for you young folks) christmas dinners are (were in the day anyways) a fun time.

Not getting a lot of sympathy here, are we?

If the recruiters somewhere along the line failed to mention the social obligations of the job, I suppose you can pin it on them, if it makes you feel better. Meanwhile, the profession of arms is a profession - and most other professions include similar obligations, whether it be professional associations, fees, conferences, dinners, robes or whatever. Relax, be happy.

Your thoughts for your future child are commendable, but I do hope that s/he learns to play better with the other children.

Better attending then sitting outside with a tank being respectful to drunken assholes bosses.I personally don't like functions like that myself,as I'm not too fond of drunken idiots you cant punch.But as a officer or snr NCO its your responsibility to make sure traditions are upheld.If everyone had your attitude about these functions who knows what traditions would be lost by the time your retired.

Why must people try to stand out in this army!!
"I'm not eating it".....suck it up buttercup! Go to any restaurants in town and your paying 50 dollars for any sensible meal (plus gratuity) anyway.

my solution(I always try to offer at least one)
Your annoying attitude will not change the fact you will have to attend other mess functions and buy appropriate mess attire.As a responsible family man, place aside 25 or so dollars a pay and make an allotment for these sort of things.It all boils down to poor attitude and planning on your part.

There is a CFAO about it being mandatory to be a member of a mess and having to pay mess dues.
Mess dinners are part of the culture and traditions of your unit...... enjoy.
I have been the member of a few units where the Junior ranks have organized their own Mess dinners.... and members have had no problem paying up their $$$.

As recourse not to participate in a mess dinner.....
- offer to the CO to be Duty officer.
- volunteer for a task away from the unit on the day of the mess dinner

otherwise - you are out of luck my friend.

Mess dinner fees are tax deductible too... as is dry cleaning and a few other "business expenses" that we are "required" to do as part of our job.

Uhhh.... dry cleaning & haircuts are NOT tax deductible as a separate item on your tax return.  They are all part of the basic personal amount under "federal non-refundable tax credits". 
(Any "Joe" who works in an office and has to wear a suit needs to have it dry cleaned - it ain't deductible for him either)

MARS2INF said:
Mess dinner fees are tax deductible too... as is dry cleaning and a few other "business expenses" that we are "required" to do as part of our job.

I hope you are being facetious because you are dead wrong.  Mess Dues, Mess Dinners, Haircuts, dry cleaning, etc are not tax deductable.

MARS2INF said:

I'd (along with everyone else here) like to see some DOCUMENTATION on all of those claims made in your statement; to include the appropriate Revenue Canada rules and Regulations on these matters.

MARS2INF

Just noticed another post of yours in another topic, (Now I have to go through all your posts.) and you have given advice there that you are way out to lunch on and totally out of your Lanes.  If you don't know the answer, DO NOT make one up.  It may be time for you to close your mouth/stop typing and listen.

Gunner said:
I hope you are being facetious because you are dead wrong.  Mess Dues, Mess Dinners, Haircuts, dry cleaning, etc are not tax deductable.
I remember reading on these forums from members with a few years in saying that Mess Dues are akin to Union Dues therefore tax deductible / fall under other deductions from taxable income?

Alright, here goes...

1) Line 9270 of Form T4044
   - Enter in the value of receipts for miscellaneous costs that are incurred as a result of earning your primary income. THAT value gets placed on:
2) Line 229 of the T1 General
   - Continue filling form as per normal, and see the (small) change in the final value.

Although the overall delta isn't significant, it's money in the bank.

Further to that:

"You can deduct certain expenses (including any GST/HST) you paid to earn employment income. You can claim the expenses only if your employment contract required you to pay them, and either you did not receive an allowance for the expenses, or the allowance you received is included in your income."

That said, when ordered to have items dry cleaned, ordered to attend certain functions, then am I not required to pay for them, as referenced above?

MARS2INF said:
Alright, here goes...
1) Line 9270 of Form T4044
   - Enter in the value of receipts for miscellaneous costs that are incurred as a result of earning your primary income. THAT value gets placed on:
2) Line 229 of the T1 General
   - Continue filling form as per normal, and see the (small) change in the final value.

Although the overall delta isn't significant, it's money in the bank.

Further to that:

"You can deduct certain expenses (including any GST/HST) you paid to earn employment income. You can claim the expenses only if your employment contract required you to pay them, and either you did not receive an allowance for the expenses, or the allowance you received is included in your income."

That said, when ordered to have items dry cleaned, ordered to attend certain functions, then am I not required to pay for them, as referenced above?
good luck on your next tax audit..... it ain't going to be pretty.

When they refer to expenses made to earn employment income, they are refering to self employed types.... which we aren't.
From someone who thought the same way as you - till his buddy got audited .....
Don't say you haven't been warned.

Spartan said:
I remember reading on these forums from members with a few years in saying that Mess Dues are akin to Union Dues therefore tax deductible / fall under other deductions from taxable income?

Spartan, no it is not akin to paying union dues.  I'm sure some brighter than me can give you the exact answer but in general, union dues are deemed a mandatory requirement to belong to a professional and self regulating organization.  Nurses, doctor's, trades people can claim their dues as they must belong to the organization in order to be certified by the provinical regulatory body.  For example, a nurse cannot work unless she/he are licensed in the province in which they work. 

Even though mess dues are mandatory (by CFAO), they are not mandatory in a professional manner. 

Gunner.... I know what you're saying but..... to me - it still doesn't make sense.
If it is mandatory, then it should be (though it isn't)

Back