• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

Thucydides said:
By the book it is a fail, but the PSP staff at Kingston generally tell you to bring the bags back and start again. Loosing your balance and falling isn't really an indicator of fitness, unless you are falling because you can't physically start the stuff moving....), and the PSP staff have better things to do than re run you through an entire test because you slipped.

YMMV

At CFLRS, it seems to be dependent upon the specific set of PSP staffers conducting the testing, or even an agreement between the platoon staff and PSP staff as to what will happen to the recruits who don't pass something for whatever reason. (Just as each platoon is run differently, i.e. more physically demanding, more punishment PT, etc than another, there are variances in the dynamic/intensity of PSP staffing as well) I've seen a perfectly athletic, lean individual be recoursed immediately to the next available platoon because he fell on the drag, but passed everything else easily--fitness was clearly not an issue. I've also seen an individual who just barely passed each component fall on the drag, some extra training definitely would've been beneficial, but they were able to try that specific part again.

:dunno:

BeyondTheNow said:
At CFLRS, it seems to be dependent upon the specific set of PSP staffers conducting the testing, or even an agreement between the platoon staff and PSP staff as to what will happen to the recruits who don't pass something for whatever reason. (Just as each platoon is run differently, i.e. more physically demanding, more punishment PT, etc than another, there are variances in the dynamic/intensity of PSP staffing as well) I've seen a perfectly athletic, lean individual be recoursed immediately to the next available platoon because he fell on the drag, but passed everything else easily--fitness was clearly not an issue. I've also seen an individual who just barely passed each component fall on the drag, some extra training definitely would've been beneficial, but they were able to try that specific part again.

:dunno:

During the FORCE fitness test when I was at CFLRS, if you fell during the drag they would let you restart, even if you failed the "Rushes" (If it was close to 51s) they would let you attempt the "Rushes" again, otherwise if you fail on the second attempt you will get another re-test in a couple days, which gives you a bit of time to attempt to prepare for it again. For example my platoon we had two people fail the "Rushes" (I being one of them), and 3 ladies who could not do the drag, we just prepped by PT as much as we could without tiring ourselves out even more. At the re-test all of us passed, but one person from our sister platoon didn't, and they were re-coursed.

Even with the Reserve unit I have an application with, I fell during the Sandbag drag (Got a little overzealous), the Master Cpl just told me to get up and try again.

The Force manual can be found here. It states:
Did not Meet Standard
26. CAF members who did not meet the Sandbag Drag standard due to slipping or falling
can re-attempt the evaluation a maximum of one time during their testing session, 
immediately after a five minute break.

Ludoc said:

That's a novel approach - look it up in an official publication and get the correct answer, vice listening to people speculate based on what they THINK they saw on a course. You're going to go far kid.

Pusser said:
That's a novel approach - look it up in an official publication and get the correct answer, vice listening to people speculate based on what they THINK they saw on a course. You're going to go far kid.

As someone who has brought up dress regs, the CF leave policy manual and other policies to the chain of command, he really won't  ;)

Ludoc said:

Thank you, Ludoc. I had stated in my post that I hoped someone better in the know could help out.

Et al:

As far as someone posting about what they "think" they saw on a course, I assume that was directed towards me. For clarification, I don't "think" I saw anything. In actuality, I was present for conversations and debate regarding the final outcome for the said recruit in each instance and witnessed each recruit's entire testing process in close proximity. It was not my place to indicate in great detail what was discussed and/or by whom. I merely gave examples.

As well, there are many who can attest to the fact that processes performed at CFLRS vice military-wide regarding several facets of policy are not adhered to on a strict and/or standard basis. I do not believe it is done maliciously or purposefully, but it indeed happens. The school continually strives to improve its level of instruction in all areas, but mistakes do happen. I simply share my experiences as I encounter them.

At what point in the application/BMQ is the FORCE test and at what point are you tested for your pushups/situps/grip test.

Cpl.JoshPerson said:
At what point in the application/BMQ is the FORCE test and at what point are you tested for your pushups/situps/grip test.

If you are applying for the Reserves, the FORCE Test is administered at the very beginning of the application process before you do anything else.  If you are applying for the Regular Force, the FORCE Test is administered the first week of your BMQ I believe.

DAA said:
If you are applying for the Reserves, the FORCE Test is administered at the very beginning of the application process before you do anything else.  If you are applying for the Regular Force, the FORCE Test is administered the first week of your BMQ I believe.
Thank you.  All the other info is outdated that I searched for.  So do you ever have to do the oushup test and 2.4km run test?  Or just the end of BMQ tests?

Cpl.JoshPerson said:
Thank you.  All the other info is outdated that I searched for.  So do you ever have to do the oushup test and 2.4km run test?  Or just the end of BMQ tests?

Pushups and running will be a full time activity at BMQ as it forms part of your fitness training, amongst other things.  Here is a link that will give you a basic guideline of what fitness level you should strive to be at prior to starting your BMQ.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/training-90#tab4

For Reserve weekend BMQ, the FORCE test (sandbags) was done prior to enrolment. A run/situp/pushup test was done at 2nd or 3rd weekend, and the results were recorded. I heard it will be done again at the end of BMQ, to track improvement.

If you are in the application phase, why is "Cpl" part of your username?

Yeah I understand it I was just wondering if there is anything during the applicantion and I see there isn't.

As was mentioned, the FORCE test IS part of the application, but for PRes only. I think it's more important to just keep yourself in good shape rather than worry which physical test comes when. Your physical abilities will be put to test in BMQ one way or another. It pays to be in good shape, trust me.

I am currently training for the FORCE test and am I can do the sandbag lift and the loaded shuttle in half the time required with more weight and higher lifts, however I cannot seem to get my 20-Metre Rushes times down below 51 seconds. My specific issue seems to be not getting up fast enough after slapping the ground.

When I am doing a rush do I have to step on the line then step back when going down, so that my hands are touching the line? Or can I go down and have my hands over the line, as long as my feet touch the line before I went down?

Does anyone have some specific advice on how to train for the rushes? I am already working on my running and my upper body strength but I do not feel this is helping me improve at the rushes.

ericamccowan said:
When I am doing a rush do I have to step on the line then step back when going down, so that my hands are touching the line? Or can I go down and have my hands over the line, as long as my feet touch the line before I went down?

Does anyone have some specific advice on how to train for the rushes? I am already working on my running and my upper body strength but I do not feel this is helping me improve at the rushes.

Check out this link

https://www.cfmws.com/en/AboutUs/PSP/DFIT/Fitness/FORCEprogram/Pages/FORCE_videos.aspx

It shows some good examples of what is expected.
For improvement I would work on breaking each aspect down into parts. More specifically. Try doing sets of touching the line, going behind it, getting down, hands up, burst, repeat.

Try doing sets of just bursts (ie. getting up fast from prone).
Break it down further - do it several times very slow. Methodical. Get your body into the rhythm. then speed it up. Do sets of slow. Then sets of faster.

Work on wall leans and alternating legs switches - do a google search for increasing running speed. The video I am thinking about shows three steps, all while leaning forward on a wall. More specifcally, it trains your legs to move like pistons.

You want to know how to start running right off the bat, as well as how to run, as well.

hope that helps.

[quote author=ericamccowan]

[/quote]

When you go running pick something that's uniformly spaced like light posts or streets and alternate between a slow jog, regular pace run and all out sprint. Every time you transition between jog run and sprint you can also drop down and do 10 or 20 push ups. 

You want your body used to changing positions quickly, starting and stopping quickly and controlling your breathing.

For RegF the force test is on the first week is just to gauge if you're able to handle the actual test which is week 5 or 6 I believe. If you end up failing you go to warrior platoon which helps to improve your fitness. You workout twice a day and get 3 chances to take the mock test over 3 months before entering the course again. If you however fail they'll make you sign a voluntary release.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Back