• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Firing Position - Resting magazine on ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veiledal

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, so yes I have learned about the marksmanship principles, and I've heard that resting the mag on the ground can cause stoppages, but it increase the stability of barrel movement. On my Infantry qualification, my coach told me to dig the magazine into the ground. I have since preferred this method rather than using my hand to support the weapon on the hand guard. As well i have not had a stoppage..yet. Which do you prefer? Have you had stoppages with this form or do you like the increased accuracy.

A search will turn up the results of this oft discussed topic.

Milnet.ca Staff

You should not rest the magazine on the ground whilst shooting because it can cause stoppages and can cause the instructors to give you good coaching/jacking. Yes a fuly loaded magazine is a bit heavy along with the C7 (C7 alone is 7.5 pounds). I think a 30 round magazine fully loaded is a pound or 2. Can get quite heavy after holding for a while.

The range is a lot of fun though. I went through a few 30 round mags, didn't get to fire on AUTO, but Repetition was cool enough. You will fire on the 100m and 200m mounds and will be graded on your performance. There will be a night firing as well via paraflare lighting (awesome), but you will need to be quick as they don't last long. If you fail the first time around, they will give you a few more tries until you do pass, they are there to help you.

At grad, there is a marksman award...FYI.  ;)

Snapshot007 said:
You should not rest the magazine on the ground whilst shooting because it can cause stoppages and can cause the instructors to give you good coaching/jacking. Yes a fuly loaded magazine is a bit heavy along with the C7 (C7 alone is 7.5 pounds). I think a 30 round magazine fully loaded is a pound or 2. Can get quite heavy after holding for a while.

Do what the instructor tells you, but I have yet to have a stoppage because my mag was (firmly) planted in the ground.

And as recceguy pointed out, it hads been covered somewhere else.

Snapshot007 said:

The range is a lot of fun though. I went through a few 30 round mags, didn't get to fire on AUTO, but Repetition was cool enough. You will fire on the 100m and 200m mounds and will be graded on your performance. There will be a night firing as well via paraflare lighting (awesome), but you will need to be quick as they don't last long. If you fail the first time around, they will give you a few more tries until you do pass, they are there to help you.

At grad, there is a marksman award...FYI.  ;)

It was not necessary to add this, and it may be contradictory to what has been posted by more experienced shooters than you.

Following the advice from recceguy above, this topic is now LOCKED to prevent more such posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back