• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fingerprints ( merged )

I had manual fingerprinting done by a private firm in BC, 2 weeks total time from day of printing to being registered in the RCMP database.

Digital prints, if not acknowledged same day, it usually takes no more than 3.

The delay is when they run your prints to ensure it doesn't match anything in things like the Criminal Real Time Identification Service or the National Sex Offender Registry etc. If there's a partial or full match, they have to then conduct further checks.

I believe the very first time I ever had a criminal record check done (and why I had to get printed) was because I was a partial match (date of birth I believe) to someone in a Criminal database or some registry of sorts.

fruitflavor said:
being fingerprinted for another government department for FSWEP job. No criminal records. We will see how long this one takes. Maybe it'll help with CF recruitment if they share any info between various government branches. But I doubt it will happen.

You know there is a box on the security clearance that explicitly says

"Have you ever done a security clearance with another government department if yes what level and date".

I've stated that I have my clearance with the CAF and never had to do anything else when I was an FSWEP student. (I am aware that they are now finger printing all new hires for reliability clearance). So far I haven't had to do anything for my upcoming casual.

Wouldn't to let your final manager to know that you are currently going through it for the govt (with the name of the dept).

Mforbes said:
I was taking police foundation at the time of the arrest ..(.103mg , about a beer over the limit)  . 

:facepalm:

runormal said:
You know there is a box on the security clearance that explicitly says

"Have you ever done a security clearance with another government department if yes what level and date".

I've stated that I have my clearance with the CAF and never had to do anything else when I was an FSWEP student. (I am aware that they are now finger printing all new hires for reliability clearance). So far I haven't had to do anything for my upcoming casual.

Wouldn't to let your final manager to know that you are currently going through it for the govt (with the name of the dept).
yup said reliability status DND. think i managed to cross all the ts and dotted is because they didn't ask for references again.

According to the rcmp , 72 hrs if no criminal records , up to 120 days if criminal record is found . This is for civil purposes , I dont know if it is any different for military purposes .

should've seen the confusion of the staffs taking my prints. They had message from supervisor about my clearance process needing to transferred from different department and apparently never done that before. Like people mentioned, should be quick and as runormal said I have been told by them I would have been printed eventually anyhow if hired on by reserves.

fruitflavor said:
should've seen the confusion of the staffs taking my prints. They had message from supervisor about my clearance process needing to transferred from different department and apparently never done that before. Like people mentioned, should be quick and as runormal said I have been told by them I would have been printed eventually anyhow if hired on by reserves.

You won't get fingerprinted by the Reserves unless you're getting a Permanent ID Card or for a Level 3 Security Clearance (Top Secret). However, prints for the ID Card are for IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES ONLY, and are not used for backgrounding or criminal checks. Not everyone gets a Level 3 Clearance either, however those would be used for backgrounding and criminal checks.

prints approved for FSWEP along with sec clearance for it. Visited on Thursday late in the day so 96 hrs or less. Also my credit card charged for FBI prints today as well. If it wasn't for final exams this and next week today would've been a great day.  [:D

FBI prints?  They check with the FBI also, not just the RCMP?

CBH99 said:
FBI prints? 

fruitflavor said:
I was in US for a few years and have a parent outside of the country. 

See also,

Master Corporal Steven said:
If you have ever lived outside Canada or have an immediate family member who currently lives outside Canada: You will be asked to fill out the “Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment Questionnaire”.  You should be prepared to provide adequate, verifiable information for the last 10 years. This information is used to determine if a Security Clearance Pre-Assessment is required, especially if you:

have dual citizenship
if you lived, worked, studied or travelled outside of Canada in the last 10 years for a total of at least 180 days
if you have a child, parent, step-parent, spouse, in-laws, brother or sister (half & step) living outside of Canada
If a Clearance Pre-Assessment is required, it can take between 6 to 18 months to complete.

I have been able to speak with other people in a similar situation as mine , apparently , it took about 4 months for them to get a response and move on . I will be updating this thread when I get more info .

A little back story. In 2018 I went to St Jean for basic training. I was over halfway through my course and I ended up injuring my foot to the point I could barely walk on it. I ended up getting a chit and was restricted from doing pretty much everything right before the field portion. I was going to end up on TRP and eventually recoursed. Due to family and home life I decided to release. It ended up taking a year for my foot to finally heal. I decided I was going to apply again but this time for Reserves instead of RegF, AVN Tech. So the end of May 2019 I apply and do my force test. I pass that no problem, do my medical and interview. All is good. About two weeks ago I was told my background check came back and they want me to get fingerprints done. I have a theft charge on my record from when I was 18, I am now almost 31. When I joined last year they knew about this already and had no problem with it and I never had to provide fingerprints.

Why would I now have to provide fingerprints? I was already in the military a year ago. They already know about the charge and had no problem with it before.
So I went and got my fingerprints done, and apparently it can take 120 days for them to receive the information from the RCMP if something is found, which something will be found. Something they already know about. I don't understand the point of this. Is it because I am applying reserves now and the process is different? Any insight would be appreciated. The recruiting center had no answers for me.

Everyone in the forces has fingerprints done. Back in 03 my entire basic course had them done. We all lined up and went through the process

dbr88 said:
A little back story. In 2018 I went to St Jean for basic training. I was over halfway through my course and I ended up injuring my foot to the point I could barely walk on it. I ended up getting a chit and was restricted from doing pretty much everything right before the field portion. I was going to end up on TRP and eventually recoursed. Due to family and home life I decided to release. It ended up taking a year for my foot to finally heal. I decided I was going to apply again but this time for Reserves instead of RegF, AVN Tech. So the end of May 2019 I apply and do my force test. I pass that no problem, do my medical and interview. All is good. About two weeks ago I was told my background check came back and they want me to get fingerprints done. I have a theft charge on my record from when I was 18, I am now almost 31. When I joined last year they knew about this already and had no problem with it and I never had to provide fingerprints.

Why would I now have to provide fingerprints? I was already in the military a year ago. They already know about the charge and had no problem with it before.
So I went and got my fingerprints done, and apparently it can take 120 days for them to receive the information from the RCMP if something is found, which something will be found. Something they already know about. I don't understand the point of this. Is it because I am applying reserves now and the process is different? Any insight would be appreciated. The recruiting center had no answers for me.

I’m quite surprised to read you made it through over half of your course at CFLRS and still hadn’t had them done...they must’ve changed what week that takes place. With the shortening of the course from 12 to 10 weeks, one would be inclined to think it’d be done even earlier. (You have to get them and your photo taken for your military ID & discs. In order to make sure they’re all ready for each recruit by grad time, they do them—or at least used to—in week 5 or 6.) So you would’ve had to provide them at some point there anyway.

In any event, if you got into RegF and you were upfront about your past/charge during that application process, then I can’t see it being any different for PRes. There’s no getting around the fingerprinting, it has to be done. I wouldn’t sweat it.

I did do my fingerprints at CFLRS in 2018. I did not need to provide fingerprints prior to joining and they knew about the charge on my criminal record. Now in 2019 I am trying to join as a reservist and they requested fingerprints prior to being enrolled. All of my background checks, medical, interview etc is all done, I am now waiting on the RCMP to provide whatever information they want to know. It is just weird that I did not have to do this last year when i joined but now i suddenly have to provide fingerprints before i get in again.

Back