• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fingerprints ( merged )

88rustang07 said:
Hey guys i have been harassing the CFRC about the where abouts of my prints. They got to Ottawa Feb 1st 08 and still arnt back (may 18) so i called them and the sgt. there said that they do it a different way... threw commisioniers which is done by a digital machine, supose to be very fast... so i went and did it just incase one gets here before the other. i had a youth record and the guy said 10-30 days for anything from the YCJA and the same 4-6 months for over 18. I hope the guy is right about the 10-30 days soill let you all waiting for the same thing know how long its taken.

Never mind the finger print check, worry more about spell check!

Fingerprinting is done when an applicant has a previous criminal record or youth offense record.  Unfortunately I know all to well about making stupid mistakes when younger.

I applied @ CFRC Hamilton Sep 07 and completed my CFAT, interview, and medical with much room to spare.  I then in October had to visit the commisionaires office and have my fingerprints taken to be sent away for further background check.

When inquiring I found out they had not been sent away until early November so that added a month to the already expected 6 months.

In early March 08 I received a letter stating ( to no surprise) that I had basically been denied at this point with the option to appeal to move my application along. I had to retrieve and submit some documents as well as write an essay explaining my actions, consequences and what I have learned from the whole experience.

So here we are in the middle of May and I have found out just yesterday that my file might actually be still moving.  The gentleman that I spoke with yesterday told me that they have only left to review my probation orders, and that there is a mandatory waiting period of three years from the date of conviction.

This has re-excited me because after waiting for so long I have been quite down about the whole experience. I thought it wasnt going to happen for me despite all my hard work.

The waiting period is three years from the beginning of your probation order,( the day it was imposed on you in court).

I know I kind of went on with alot of background info but I hope I helped answer the original question of this thread!!

Still Waiting Hopefully
Kevin

That sucks, how old were you? Are you sure it is 3 years because I was under the impression that it was 2 years, would it make a difference if you were under age at the time or over 18?

You said you had to write an essay??? I hope i don't have to do that.

Good luck to you, hopefully we won't have to wait much longer.

Everyone has done something stupid, it's whether they got caught or not that is the difference ;)

I'll admit it, I hung out with the wrong crowd and ended up on the wrong end on a cell door and ended up with a record not long after I turned 20 or so. To get into the Forces they needed my prints which the processing was said to prolong the process by 6 or so months.

I got smart, realized I was over the 5 year mark and that I could get a pardon and went for it. I plowed through that process as fast as I could until I got to the part where I had to send it all in to the Pardons Board. I decided to myself "What the hell, it won't hurt to write a letter about why I want a pardon", so I wrote a small letter about how I've cleaned my act up, got several years of college behind me and a family and I wanted to start a career in the Armed Forces but my record has been slowing the process as well as closing other job opportunities to me.

They told me it would take 8 months at the least but the window I was looking at was 12-16 months. It was 3 weeks and I had my pardon, I kid you not, I mailed it the first week of August and recieved it back on my birthday a few weeks later :)

All in all it cost under $100 to get it done and now I feel cleaner (mentally) than I have in years. I usually don't disclose this but to be honest but maybe my experience in the process could help someone. PM me if you want some help.

In my experience, I didn't get fingerprinted at CFRC.  they did do a criminal record check (local police and RCMP).  When you go to Basic...during Week 3 or 4.....if I remember correctly you get fingerprinted by a Unit Security Officer....usually a commisionaire and get your photo taken for your military ID.  This is the first step towards getting your Security Clearance level processed.

cheers,

a/slt

Hello
I also have to have Fingerprints done as a result of some bad choices when i was younger..I know the expected wait times could be 3-6 months..but as the post above stated i too am curious of any other complications that could arise from this process i have both a young offenders and adult charges  :salute: :salute:Thank you

You can look at the topics refering to "Criminal Record".  They will give you an idea of what your Adult Charges may imply.  Young Offender Charges are not counted. 

You may also look at what is said about "Pardons".

And I was wondering if anyone here can speak from experience. So I've got my application in, went back and done my CFAT (done well), medical (pending hernia repair, will be done by April) and done my interview (also done well). I'm applying for the LCIS Tech program and my interviewer told me all was looking well aside from an impaired driving charge I had been convicted of in January 2010. I have no legal obligations at the moment so that isn't an issue.

But the recruiter said that I will more than likely need to provide fingerprint samples for my cross-checking of various police departments across Canada, which can take up to 6 months. So, I was just wondering if anyone here can speak from their own experiences with such an incidence during your enrolment process, as well, any feedback is welcome guys, hopefully I can still get enrolled in April, if not Ill have to play the waiting game and play it by ear. Thanks for reading, and let me know what you know!

Andrew

I have had to do fingerprinting for certain security clearances before and it doesnt take that long.  RCMP covers cross canada and they could have it done in a couple of weeks max. What might take longer is if they start sending to local police authorities. But seeing as your not going for confidential or top secret clearance etc I think all they will be doing is having RCMP check. You shouldnt have a problem.

Good luck and have fun in Basic

Yes,  I would say much the same. I had to get fingerprints done for another occupation a while back....3 yrs ago to be specific. The process is not to long at all...actually the fingerprinting seem to take the longest...prints have to be perfect! I think mine were done in 5 weeks or so...I wouldn't sweat it too much!

I have had to do security clearance for Nav Canada to be a Air Traffic Controller which involved RCMP fingerprint check and as well, when you apply for firearms licence you are checked through RCMP too.  In both cases it took about 2-3 weeks. I never said I had to do security clearance for Military but as far as I know Military uses RCMP to do security clearances.

Actually CSIS does the work for every security clearance in Canada (it includes NavCan).  In the CF, a Level II (Secret) or Level III (Top Secret) clearance can take a year or more to process.

You should probably assume that your recruiter is giving you the correct information.  As far as the RCMP go here, they just take your fingerprints and you give the paper that they're on to your centre.

K well I may have been misinterpreted throughtout this thread.  When I had fingerprints done for Nav Canada and for my firearms licence they were done by RCMP. Not once did they mention or say my fingerprints would be going to any agency other then RCMP and they are obligated by law to tell you considering it would be a breach of security to do otherwise. I cannot account for if the process has changed since I did mine which it could have and I have not done fingerprints for the CF. When I mentioned classified and top secret I was just making note to the fact that for higher security clearances it may be a different agency and may take longer which apparently is the case.  Sorry if there was any confusion in my replies. I was just giving info from my past experience.

However, I would also agree with the poster that said just listen to what the recruiter told you. Good possibility they are giving you the max amount of time it could take but hopefully it would usually be done alot quicker.

vmalin84 said:
K well I may have been misinterpreted throughtout this thread.  When I had fingerprints done for Nav Canada and for my firearms licence they were done by RCMP. Not once did they mention or say my fingerprints would be going to any agency other then RCMP and they are obligated by law to tell you considering it would be a breach of security to do otherwise. I cannot account for if the process has changed since I did mine which it could have and I have not done fingerprints for the CF. When I mentioned classified and top secret I was just making note to the fact that for higher security clearances it may be a different agency and may take longer which apparently is the case.  Sorry if there was any confusion in my replies. I was just giving info from my past experience.

However, I would also agree with the poster that said just listen to what the recruiter told you. Good possibility they are giving you the max amount of time it could take but hopefully it would usually be done alot quicker.

I'm not sure you're in a position to be speaking of what the 'obligations by law' would entail. There are any number of different checks that can be done. For security clearances at the federal level, those are all (to my knowledge), CSIS. Criminal records checks go through CPIC, which is administered by the RCMP. Any background investigation done by CSIS would, I presume, include a CPIC check. Conversely, a criminal background investigation may not necessarily entail anything beyond the resources of a police force, including running you through CPIC.

Clearances (particularly level II) can/i] happen much quicker than the time frame quoted. That doesn't mean that it will.

vmalin84 said:

OK

You are one very confused person.  First off, to clear up something that you said above, your previous fingerprints WERE NOT for the CF so bringing them up has absolutely nothing to do with the Recruiting Process for the CF.  You have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about when it comes to Security Clearances and who does them, so please do not post anything more on that matter.  You are, however, encouraged to READ the topics covering Security Clearances and BACKCHECK in the various forums.  They will give you some useful information, which you are currently lacking.

Back