• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fighting is for men

Should women be allowed to stay in the combat arms?

• Yes

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 21.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people will misuse history to attempt to prove a point, and will usually be handed their a$$ to them when they get exposed for their lame efforts.
The truth is, a fit soldier will out perform an unfit soldier(all other things being equal) about 99.5% of the time. I will allow a 0.5% cushion for any unforeseen developments. Trying to justify a rapidly lowering standard of fitness in the CF is doing all members of the military an injustice!

The Unforseen Development 0.05% 

We could cook up the unfit soliders - the meat would have better marbeling...  ;D

Kevin I must be getting soft in my advanced age (don't ask) and had a slight moment of weakness. Whatever the actual percent is, I can see we're on the same page! ;D

Kevin - having seen eaach other run, do you think we could outrunt he kitchen crew coming for us? >:D

MM

And, because this thread hasn't drifted far enough off track, I quote 'Apocalypse Now':

CHEF
They lined us all up in front of
a hundred yards of prime rib --
magnificent meat, beautifully
marbled.. Then they started
throwing it in these big
cauldrons, all of it -- boiling.
I looked in, an' it was turning
gray. I couldn't stand it. I
went into radio school.

What's the hardest course in the army???? Cook...... nobody has passed it yet. J/K, the food in the mess halls is good. Too good it might seem, based on the direction the thread (and the CF) has gone in..... But blaming food for people's lack of physical fitness is like blaming Molson's for drunk drivers....

Al

MM - hey dude I was on chit (had the endings of another bout with pnuemonia) during that course -- Rob just would not let me not run...

My apologies dude - I was just getting over a case of FBS - Fat Bastard Syndrome (not to mention a wicked case of shin splints).  Well, we both survived, that's what's important - no orange jumpsuits!! ;D

MM

I keep thinking Cairo will show up in one -- you heard he's in Iraq? 

He speaks the lingo like a local though - he might be able to talk his way out of it.  Please tell me he's not in the business?

MM

PPCLI MCpl said:
Your annoying cousins from Manitoba's frozen center do it too.  ;)

Good to hear the regts come around full circle! So if one regt can get onboard with a pt standard than what's the rest of the Army waiting for? - to be told, no doubt - what leaders!

I went to Bosnia in 00-01 with 2VP, and because we were part of their BG, we (Recce Sqn) had to do the Cooper's Test. That wasn't an issue for most of us, as a good chunk of the soldiers (I would like to say majority, but I think that might be stretching the truth) wanted to take advantage of the 6-7 month tour to get in better shape,or at the least,maintain our fitness level. The problem was that there was no enforcement of any type. There were people, who drink in my mess that I now drink in, if you catch my drift, who had no problem with getting 5 out of 100. Or 12. Or 15. No attempt to do anything more than stroll for the 2.4km run. So, while it was nice to get at least a baseline by doing the test, there were no repercussions in failing, and even worse, not even trying.

Trying to shame people into bringing up their fitness level only works if they have shame. People have to be hit where it hurts: the wallet. I would like to see every rank have a base pay level, and if you do only the bare minimum (barely pass all tests, standards, "efficiency" ratings, etc), you receive no incentives or bonuses. However, if you strive to do your best, you receive bonuses. Reward performance, rather than rewarding mediocrity and complacency. That will never fly, because as the Warrior program highlighted, too many "leaders" didn't make the grade, and only the keen lower ranks (in general) were walking around with the silver and gold standard. For the guys (and girls) that made the gold standard, well done.

Al

Interesting idea Allan, but I'm afraid in todays politically correct army where we don't dare challenge anyone it will never fly! It also would create a huge dogs breakfast with the bean counters who are in charge of sorting out our pay.

midgetcop said:
Well...depends on the police force. But the point remains.

In winnipeg they have different qualifications I guess the women only chase and fight gentler criminals. 
Thats why one man was shot by police last year because his female backup was,... well lacking.

Allan Luomala said:
Trying to shame people into bringing up their fitness level only works if they have shame. People have to be hit where it hurts: the wallet. I would like to see every rank have a base pay level, and if you do only the bare minimum (barely pass all tests, standards, "efficiency" ratings, etc), you receive no incentives or bonuses. However, if you strive to do your best, you receive bonuses. Reward performance, rather than rewarding mediocrity and complacency.

For Reservists who look at Army pay as simple beer money, this would be ineffective.

Michael Dorosh said:
For Reservists who look at Army pay as simple beer money, this would be ineffective.

Unless there were mandatory PT tests every so often, to ensure the troops were keeping in shape, and failure to show up or inability to pass the testing results in verbal/written warnings etc.

Is that feisable?

You sign up today and have 5 posts - all bashing women.  You're rapidly running out of rope.

Thats why one man was shot by police last year because his female backup was,... well lacking.

Ah, but why was she lacking?  Because of lowered standards, inherent laziness, poor training....or are you just casting aspersions  based on her internal plumbing set-up?

Lowered standards are a problem.  Inherent laziness is a discipline problem.  Poor training is the fault of the force....

Internal plumbing just isn't relevant.

Hollywog said:
In winnipeg they have different qualifications I guess the women only chase and fight gentler criminals.  

lacking? yes, because im sure since she was female, that automatically made her not instinctively start firing rounds to defend her partner, whereas if she had been a man, there would be no problem.

I doubt theres much of a difference between genders that determines ones willingness to kill another person on the spot like that.
The training is the important part, the female part isnt, so why did you mention that when it is irrellevant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back