• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Female student auctioning off virginity to pay for grad school sparks debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
This article definitely speaks for itself. ;D

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/09/11/08/student-auctions-virginity-sparks-online-debate
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reuters | 09/11/2008 1:12 PM

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A 22-year-old woman in the United States is publicly auctioning her virginity to pay for her college education, sparking a heated online debate about sex and morality.

The student from San Diego, California, who is using the pseudonym Natalie Dylan for "safety reasons," said she had no moral dilemma with her decision and found it "empowering".

But few bloggers sided with her and some suspected her intentions.

"I don't think auctioning my virginity will solve all my problems," she told celebrity television show The Insider on Wednesday. "But it will create some financial stability. I'm ready for the controversy, I know it will come along. I'm ready to do this."

"We live in a capitalist society. Why shouldn't I be allowed to capitalize on my virginity?" she added.

The woman, who has earned a bachelor degree in women's studies and now wants to start a master's degree in marriage and family therapy, is hoping the bidding will hit $1 million.

The online auction site eBay turned her down so the auction will take place at a Nevada brothel, the Moonlite Bunny Ranch, where her sister is working to pay off her college debts.

The date for the auction was not immediately available.

In a flurry of media interviews and appearances, she admitted that her mother, a fourth grade teacher, does not agree with her decision. Many on the Internet also disapprove.

"Maybe this is the conservative in me coming out, but this seems so wrong," wrote one blogger, Mike. "Isn't this prostitution?"

"I must say I feel sad for the future of our society," said Mike from Montclair State University in New Jersey.

"What disgusts me about this whole thing is the fact that she is promoting it so heavily. It seems less about having some guy pay for her virginity and more about trying to get her 15 minutes and a reality show," said a blogger called "Ent Lawyer".

She does have her supporters -- not surprisingly Dennis Hof, owner of the Moonlite Bunny Ranch.

"I think it's a tremendous idea. Why lose it to some guy in the backseat of a Toyota when you can pay for your education?" he told reporters.

pICTURE hERE:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/natalie-dylan?w=1

amd_natalie-dylan.jpg

m_RS-09-09-08---avia--dennis-hof-ad.jpg

Whether it's $100 or $1 Million, she'll still be a prostitute. It's her life, her body, and her reputation, and therefore her choice. Personally, I prefer to earn money with my clothes on, but that's just me.  ::)

IIRC, didn't Geisha sell off thier virginity?  And it was considered and honour to "deflower" them by the men.  Mind you, the ancient Japanese treated women like chatel {sp.}
Then again, I see this young women and wonder: she's a 22 year old in university and still a virgin? !! 
And her sister works in a brothel to pay off student loans, says something towards the high price of education.
Disjointed, I know.
My $0.02 

The woman, who has earned a bachelor degree in women's studies and now wants to start a master's degree in marriage and family therapy, is hoping the bidding will hit $1 million.

I wonder what school will accept her into their masters program in this study after this stunt.

Ironic that she studied women's studies traditionaly the haven of rabid feminist  LMAO.....

I don't see a problem with it regardless, but then again I don't see a problem with prostitution either so long as it is monitored medically. A profession as old as soldiering and lets be honest how many soldiers do we now who may or may not have used the services of a prostitute (Thailand comes to mind).

Strike said:
I wonder what school will accept her into their masters program in this study after this stunt.

Well seeing as she is using an Alias and you don't have to submit a pcture with your application for study of a masters,it's very likely she wont have any issues.

Maybe she's making a social statement about the high costs and "price" of post secondary education??
Maybe she's making a social-sexual statement about the meaninglessness of abstination {sp.} from sexual intercourse until you're married??
Maybe she's making a sexual statement about the power of women and "owning it" and can and will decide when to loose it or give it away??
Why not!? There are women in the sex trades only to pay off student loans or making thier way thru school.  Grey's Anatomy comes to mind where Katherine Heigl's charactor stripes off in the locker room and claims to those present that she does not owe a dime for her med school and this...her body..paid for it.
:army:

BulletMagnet said:
Well seeing as she is using an Alias and you don't have to submit a pcture with your application for study of a masters,it's very likely she wont have any issues.

...until she goes in for her interview.  With her sister working at a brothel and her going to the same one, one can assume she's from the area, which means she probably goes to school in the same area.  No doubt she is getting recognized on the streets right now from all the media publicity.

Strike said:
...until she goes in for her interview.  With her sister working at a brothel and her going to the same one, one can assume she's from the area, which means she probably goes to school in the same area.  No doubt she is getting recognized on the streets right now from all the media publicity.

Perhaps but seeing as what she is doing is Ilegal it is conciveable she simply is doing it in Nevada as it is legal there...same with her sister.

BulletMagnet said:
Ironic that she studied women's studies traditionaly the haven of rabib feminist  LMAO.....

I don't find it so ironic... the rabid feminist would argue that it's her body and her right to do with it whatever she wishes.

It is the "traditionalist" vice the feminist who would have issues with her endeavour.

Proper choice of States chosen by her -- prostitution is legal there; ergo, she technicaly and legally is doing nothing wrong.

Okay, so let's say she's not from Nevada.  There's still a huge amount of press involved in this and you can bet that her former school knows about this and will be contacted by her future school for a reference.  I doubt she will be able to go around without being discovered.

Strike said:
Okay, so let's say she's not from Nevada.  There's still a huge amount of press involved in this and you can bet that her former school knows about this and will be contacted by her future school for a reference.  I doubt she will be able to go around without being discovered.

Being that "Women's Studies" programs tend to focus around "poor, opressed women held down in life by men" ... I'm thinking that her new "school" won't have any issues ... rather that they and she see this as some sort of opportunity for masters work in an area where not many females dare to tread ... and that the follow-up for "doctoral work" can't be far off in the distance.

It's seldom that masters candidates or doctoral candidites in Women's Studies actually have "hands-on" experience in the area of prostitution. Study and research "of prostitutes" is one thing, but "experience/living as one" is quite another and is a rareity.

I recall an earlier case whereby a masters student in the US who was reasearching "Prostitution" was actually "living as a callgirl" in order to effect the greatest reasearch opportunity. She wound up being murdered while out on a call with some asshat. They discovered that the research she had been handing in was actually based upon her own actual ongoing experiences as a call girl during the investigation into her murder. Talk about shocked parents and staff.

BYT Driver said:
Maybe she's making a social statement about the high costs and "price" of post secondary education??
Maybe she's making a social-sexual statement about the meaninglessness of abstination {sp.} from sexual intercourse until you're married??
Maybe she's making a sexual statement about the power of women and "owning it" and can and will decide when to loose it or give it away??
Why not!? There are women in the sex trades only to pay off student loans or making thier way thru school.  Grey's Anatomy comes to mind where Katherine Heigl's charactor stripes off in the locker room and claims to those present that she does not owe a dime for her med school and this...her body..paid for it.
:army:

And then she can write her thesis on this experience (or perhaps experiment) too, it's win win.

lucia_engel said:
And then she can write her thesis on this experience (or perhaps experiment) too, it's win win.

I can just see it now. Taking notes before, during and after. Maybe having to adjust the camera angle to capture the moment and how she feels when the money changes hands, etc... ::)

Speaking for myself, and maybe a bit inappropriately- but I would hit that like the fist of an angry God.

Best of luck to her.

Mortarman Rockpainter said:

Sadly being a Queen's Alum, you statement may have some Truth.

On another note, there are certain counties in Nevada where prostitution is Legal and I suspect that this brothel is in one of those counties.

Well one of those photos looks rediculously photoshopped for starters.

But anyway, 22 yrs old, been through university, and looking anything REMOTELY like that?

People, that million dollars might be able to buy you a lot of things but it aint buying a v-card...

And if it is, she doesn't look like that good...

What's the 6/49 lottery at now?.........skipping.........off we go to buy tickets! off we go to buy tickets! off we go to buy tickets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back