• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Government & Union spar over returning to office

The battle continues....

The fight over working from home goes global​

Employees want to toil in the kitchen. Bosses want them back in the office​

Remote work has a target on its back. Banking ceos, like Jamie Dimon of JPMorgan Chase, are intent on making working from home a relic of the pandemic. For staff at America’s biggest lender and other Wall Street stalwarts like Goldman Sachs, five-day weeks are back for good. Big tech firms are also cracking the whip. Google’s return-to-work mandate threatens to track attendance and factor it in performance reviews. Meta and Lyft want staff back at their desks, demanding at least three days of the week in the office by the end of the summer. With bosses clamping down on the practice, the pandemic-era days of mutual agreement on the desirability of remote work seem to be over.
Listen to this story. Enjoy more audio and podcasts on iOS or Android.

Fresh data from a global survey shows how far this consensus has broken down. Across the world, employers’ plans for remote work fall short of what employees want, according to wfh Research, a group that includes Stanford University and Ifo Institute, a German think-tank, which tracks the sentiment of full-time workers with at least a secondary education in 34 countries. Bosses fear that fully remote work dents productivity, a concern reinforced by recent research. A study of data-entry workers in India found those toiling from home to be 18% less productive than office-frequenting peers; another found that employees at a big Asian it firm were 19% less productive at home than they had been in the office. Communication records of nearly 62,000 employees at Microsoft showed that professional networks within the company ossified and became more isolated as remote work took hold.

20230715_EPC798.png

Yet all the pressure from above has done little to dent employees’ appetite for remote working. They want to be able to work more days from the comfort of their living rooms than they currently do, according to wfh Research. On average, workers across the world want two days at home, a full day more than they get. In English-speaking countries, which have the highest levels of home-working, there is an appetite for more. And the trend is spreading to places where remote work has been less common (see chart). Japanese and South Korean employees, some of the most office-bound anywhere, want more than a quarter of the week to themselves. Europeans and Latin American crave a third and half, respectively.
Desire for more remote work is not surprising. The time saved not having to battle public transport or congested roads allows for a better work-life balance. On average, 72 minutes each day is saved when working remotely, which adds up to two weeks over a year, according to a paper by Nicholas Bloom of Stanford, who helps run wfh Research, and colleagues. Employees also report that they feel most engaged when working remotely, according to a poll last year by Gallup. On average globally, workers value all these benefits to the tune of an 8% pay rise, implying that some would take a pay cut to keep the privileges.

20230715_EPC805.png

Until recently, as firms desperately sought workers amid the post-pandemic hiring bonanza, employees’ demands and employers’ plans seemed to be converging in America, the best-studied market. This convergence is tailing off. At the same time, the pandemic has entrenched work-from-home patterns. At the moment, a third of workers surveyed by wfh Research have a hybrid or fully remote arrangement. Those practices will not be easy to unwind.

It is no coincidence that the crackdown on remote work is happening as some industries cool. Job cuts across Wall Street and Silicon Valley have handed power back to businesses. However, even in tech and finance some employees are standing their ground. In May Amazon said that 300 employees staged walkouts over the e-empire’s return-to-work policies (the organisers said it was closer to 2,000).

Other firms are quietly adapting with the times. hsbc, a British bank, is planning to relocate from its 45-storey tower in Canary Wharf to smaller digs in the City of London. Deloitte and kpmg, two professional-services giants, want to reduce their office footprint in favour of more remote work. The gap between the two sides of the work-from-home battle may yet narrow. The question is whether the bosses or the bossed will yield the most.

Speaking to my ex-colleague, she does 2 days a week at the office, but only under duress, I can't really blame people, average commute times for most people is 1-1 1/2 hrs each way. Plus with Workplace 2.0 which has made the office even less appealing. Personally I like the office as my commute was short and I am a people person. Not to mention easily distracted.

The battle continues....

The fight over working from home goes global​

Employees want to toil in the kitchen. Bosses want them back in the office​

Remote work has a target on its back. Banking ceos, like Jamie Dimon of JPMorgan Chase, are intent on making working from home a relic of the pandemic. For staff at America’s biggest lender and other Wall Street stalwarts like Goldman Sachs, five-day weeks are back for good. Big tech firms are also cracking the whip. Google’s return-to-work mandate threatens to track attendance and factor it in performance reviews. Meta and Lyft want staff back at their desks, demanding at least three days of the week in the office by the end of the summer. With bosses clamping down on the practice, the pandemic-era days of mutual agreement on the desirability of remote work seem to be over.
Listen to this story. Enjoy more audio and podcasts on iOS or Android.

Fresh data from a global survey shows how far this consensus has broken down. Across the world, employers’ plans for remote work fall short of what employees want, according to wfh Research, a group that includes Stanford University and Ifo Institute, a German think-tank, which tracks the sentiment of full-time workers with at least a secondary education in 34 countries. Bosses fear that fully remote work dents productivity, a concern reinforced by recent research. A study of data-entry workers in India found those toiling from home to be 18% less productive than office-frequenting peers; another found that employees at a big Asian it firm were 19% less productive at home than they had been in the office. Communication records of nearly 62,000 employees at Microsoft showed that professional networks within the company ossified and became more isolated as remote work took hold.

20230715_EPC798.png

Yet all the pressure from above has done little to dent employees’ appetite for remote working. They want to be able to work more days from the comfort of their living rooms than they currently do, according to wfh Research. On average, workers across the world want two days at home, a full day more than they get. In English-speaking countries, which have the highest levels of home-working, there is an appetite for more. And the trend is spreading to places where remote work has been less common (see chart). Japanese and South Korean employees, some of the most office-bound anywhere, want more than a quarter of the week to themselves. Europeans and Latin American crave a third and half, respectively.
Desire for more remote work is not surprising. The time saved not having to battle public transport or congested roads allows for a better work-life balance. On average, 72 minutes each day is saved when working remotely, which adds up to two weeks over a year, according to a paper by Nicholas Bloom of Stanford, who helps run wfh Research, and colleagues. Employees also report that they feel most engaged when working remotely, according to a poll last year by Gallup. On average globally, workers value all these benefits to the tune of an 8% pay rise, implying that some would take a pay cut to keep the privileges.

20230715_EPC805.png

Until recently, as firms desperately sought workers amid the post-pandemic hiring bonanza, employees’ demands and employers’ plans seemed to be converging in America, the best-studied market. This convergence is tailing off. At the same time, the pandemic has entrenched work-from-home patterns. At the moment, a third of workers surveyed by wfh Research have a hybrid or fully remote arrangement. Those practices will not be easy to unwind.

It is no coincidence that the crackdown on remote work is happening as some industries cool. Job cuts across Wall Street and Silicon Valley have handed power back to businesses. However, even in tech and finance some employees are standing their ground. In May Amazon said that 300 employees staged walkouts over the e-empire’s return-to-work policies (the organisers said it was closer to 2,000).

Other firms are quietly adapting with the times. hsbc, a British bank, is planning to relocate from its 45-storey tower in Canary Wharf to smaller digs in the City of London. Deloitte and kpmg, two professional-services giants, want to reduce their office footprint in favour of more remote work. The gap between the two sides of the work-from-home battle may yet narrow. The question is whether the bosses or the bossed will yield the most.

I love the sig blocks of the folks from O-Town. All the little house icons.

Nice to see you're being a dick from your deck while you take 3 days answer my question on why you won't provide a SAF for material you're supposed to put into th CFSS.

I'm in favor of WFH but you actually have to produce results.

I love the sig blocks of the folks from O-Town. All the little house icons.

Nice to see you're being a dick from your deck while you take 3 days answer my question on why you won't provide a SAF for material you're supposed to put into th CFSS.

I'm in favor of WFH but you actually have to produce results.
For context the entire DMarP side is insanely understaffed, with high turnover and a lot of shortages. A lot of them come in, learn the ropes, realize they have the workload of 3 or 4 people, and quickly realize they can do the same job at another department with a reasonable workload and get poached. We have a hiring freeze at the moment as well.

I'm sad to see them go but happy for them; the expectations are insane and they need to look after themselves first.

We're now at the point where we go to a section head for a procurement officer, and frequently it's the actual section of sub section head working on it because everyone else is already way over the limit.

And on top of that, there is a budget crunch for normal NP funds, so if it's C113 money for the SAF there is a big pile being triaged, and fighting against basic things like DWPs and EDWPs.

Generally if they aren't answering things promptly it's because the 'to do' pile is huge, and even the most productive person in the world will fall behind. At least with the WFH if people need to stop for a mid day cry and 1000 yard stare they can do it somewhere other than the office.

The people who were productive in the office are productive from home.

The people who were unproductive in the office are unproductive from home.
it is hard to believe, with the cost of real estate these days, that corporations would voluntarily purchase, maintain, and staff large office buildings if having their staff work from home was as productive as working from said office tower. After two years or more of experimentation the statistics probably favour the office for getting things done. Those who are complaining are probably those who went shopping, had coffee with the neighbours or played golf/went fishing whilst the log in covered their asses.

@Colin Parkinson, the flipside is frequently true; I get far more done (in my specific jobs and tasks) at home due to lack of distractions.

Some things definitely are better in person, but when a large part of a job involves focusing on a specific task the open-concept office with people dropping by your cubicle really sucks. Even with headphones on and a Les Nesman door still get people standing at the 'entrance' instead of coming back later.

When something can take an hour to get into and work through, it can be extremely challenging if you are getting interrupted ever 10 minutes.

Workplace 2.0 isn't great, 3.0 looks even worse, and when the conference room booking requires a 48 hour notice spontaneous collaboration that doesn't disturb everyone else within 50' doesn't actually work.

@Colin Parkinson, the flipside is frequently true; I get far more done (in my specific jobs and tasks) at home due to lack of distractions.

Some things definitely are better in person, but when a large part of a job involves focusing on a specific task the open-concept office with people dropping by your cubicle really sucks. Even with headphones on and a Les Nesman door still get people standing at the 'entrance' instead of coming back later.

When something can take an hour to get into and work through, it can be extremely challenging if you are getting interrupted ever 10 minutes.

Workplace 2.0 isn't great, 3.0 looks even worse, and when the conference room booking requires a 48 hour notice spontaneous collaboration that doesn't disturb everyone else within 50' doesn't actually work.
if you are self-motivated and of high enough moral standing to feel that your employer deserves some product output as a result of paying you then working from where ever doesn't matter. If you aren't, the open pit a la slave galley with the overseer in the middle desk is a must. Private offices are not conducive to productivity from the unwashed masses: open-concept where the supervisor can keep an eye on you is the only thing that works.

Perhaps a more nodal approach. Set up smaller offices in the suburbs to reduce the commute and exploit the teleconferencing techbology that way.

Perhaps a more nodal approach. Set up smaller offices in the suburbs to reduce the commute and exploit the teleconferencing techbology that way.
Like this?

Like this?

Yup. Exactly like that. Now how many small town mainstreets could be re-vitalized by converting boarded up storefronts into Shared Offices / Co-working spaces? Small teams of 4 to a dozen in a regional office.

Back to the future and closer to the clients.

The people who were productive in the office are productive from home.

The people who were unproductive in the office are unproductive from home.
There is that. On the other hand, there is a lot of osmosis learning (and osmosis team building too) that only happens in-person. When COVID hit we sent everyone home with 6 months of post APS experience, and then we minimized postings the next APS. So, we had a lot of people working from home who knew their jobs. We are now into the third “normal volume” APS. The corporate knowledge loss is much greater now than it was in 2019.

There is that. On the other hand, there is a lot of osmosis learning (and osmosis team building too) that only happens in-person. When COVID hit we sent everyone home with 6 months of post APS experience, and then we minimized postings the next APS. So, we had a lot of people working from home who knew their jobs. We are now into the third “normal volume” APS. The corporate knowledge loss is much greater now than it was in 2019.

Some don't want to work from home, of course:

The productivity pitfalls of working from home in the age of COVID-19​

The element of personal choice is a final factor contributing to the success of Ctrip’s work-from-home policy that is absent in the current situation. Of the 1,000 Ctrip employees offered the choice to work from home, only 500 volunteered. The others wanted to remain in the office.

After nine months of allowing those employees to do their jobs at home, Ctrip asked the original volunteers whether they wanted to keep working remotely or return to the office. Half of them requested to return to the office, despite their average commute being 40 minutes each way.

Why was that?

“The answer is social company,” Bloom says. “They reported feeling isolated, lonely and depressed at home. So, I fear an extended period of working from home will not only kill office productivity but is building a mental health crisis.”

Despite the drawbacks, Bloom suggests a few things that can help stem the productivity decline he fears: Regular check-ins between managers and their teams; maintaining schedules that strive to separate work life from family life, and collaborating with colleagues on video calls rather than phone calls.

"Can you help my boss? I am working from home, but am taking my kid to an appointment, so can you send my boss the info needs that I can't access on my phone?"

I love how this thread draws out the never worked in a staff/HQ role people...

Sure, sitting in a cubicle in a poorly lit office, with nobody around who knows what I do makes me more productive... I really hammer out the inspection reports while the bored people from all of the adjacent floors "pop in" to chat. Not to mention the PC that takes 30 seconds to think about every mouse click... Super efficient.

I love how this thread draws out the never worked in a staff/HQ role people...
You'd think there would be more, as that makes up a large chunk of our PYs, apparently.

Sure, sitting in a cubicle in a poorly lit office, with nobody around who knows what I do makes me more productive... I really hammer out the inspection reports while the bored people from all of the adjacent floors "pop in" to chat.
Agreed. That said, if its not Bob from Comptroller or Jim from Finance... its my wife asking me about X thing, my toddler wanting to watch (My coworkers were often concerned when I didn't have her sitting on my lap during meetings), or my dogs whining to go for another walk.

Distractions are mitigated by the individual, not the environment though.
Not to mention the PC that takes 30 seconds to think about every mouse click... Super efficient

Bitching about DWAN being slow is like complaining it takes longer to travel by steam engine than Lear Jet. The network and its periphals were designed to process and distribute email, office files, and run simple web pages and database applications; the fact that we are using it for cloud based applications, SharePoint, and peer to peer VTC is insanity.

Until we move to a full, truly cloud based network...

Episode 17 GIF by The Simpsons

Agreed. That said, if its not Bob from Comptroller or Jim from Finance... its my wife asking me about X thing, my toddler wanting to watch (My coworkers were often concerned when I didn't have her sitting on my lap during meetings), or my dogs whining to go for another walk.

Distractions are mitigated by the individual, not the environment though.
As a single dude, I can assure you that I am more productive at home... No pets, no spouse, and no "Jim from finance".

I appreciate that I am not necessarily typical of the average Ottawa denizen, but I'm not that rare.

I completely disagree with the bolded part... I live in a low distraction environment, I work in a high distraction environment.

My problem with the way the CAF has handled thing is the CAF has taken a typically "CAF" one size fit's all approach. Working as a clerk in an OR is not the same as being a policy guy in D Met Oc. I get zero out of being near a clerk/LogO/IntO/Geo Tech during the day, and they get zero from me. Why should my work location be based on what works best for a section commander in the infantry, or a chief clerk at an OR?

Back