• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

Definately the recently made (as in, made last week!), "Battle Of Long Tan", starring yours truly as Cpl Gross' driver and faceless infantry man on a couple of occasions! I'm really looking forward to seeing it and i'm sure a few of you out there will be interested as well. When i can get it i'll try to post a link up on here.

Hale said:
Definately the recently made (as in, made last week!), "Battle Of Long Tan", starring yours truly as Cpl Gross' driver and faceless infantry man on a couple of occasions! I'm really looking forward to seeing it and i'm sure a few of you out there will be interested as well. When i can get it i'll try to post a link up on here.

Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Long_Tan

Hale said:
..."Battle Of Long Tan", starring yours truly as Cpl Gross' driver and faceless infantry man on a couple of occasions! ... When i can get it i'll try to post a link up on here.

IMDB entry

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0441881/

I watched the Shooter starring Mark Walhberg two weeks ago on DVD.  It's quite good.

I was wondering if anyone remembers an old 1980s movie- which is also another Spielberg work I'm surprised to find out- called "Empire of the Sun"?

I find the young, British, main character's admiration- played by a young Christian Bale-for the Japanese Imperial Military's traditions curious and understandable, but it's also a good look into the life of Western Expats who were became civilians or POWs in Japanese-occupied China during World War II.

And interesting battle scenes too- including that climactic air raid by USAAF Mustangs on the IJN airfield at Suchow.

I've watch parts of "We Were Soldiers" . I'm glad that the annoucement to the famil change since then
(taxi driver handing a telegram to the wife) .

It seems a couple of our ships have a curious movie acting carear.

Movie Review
By: Rob MacIlreith
http://acam.ednet.ns.ca/newslet/sept2002/sept2002.pdf
page 18

"K-19 is a little out of the regular scope of movie review that I normally do.........................

The story, while significantly altered historically, is very good. K-19 was tense, gripping and a movie that I would highly recommend. The port of Halifax has a cameo at the beginning of the movie as the dockyard scenes were shot here. Additionally HMCS Ojibwa and HMCS Terra Nova also had cameos as a Russian sub and American destroyer respectively. These 3 make the movie worth seeing alone......."

A critique of Band of Brothers : www.101airborneww2.com/bandofbrothers3.html

Some good old ones:
- Memphis Belle
- A Bridge too far
- The Great Escape

There was on on TV last Sunday about the time leading up to and a little after the seperartion of Isreal and Palestine. I believe Marlon Brando was in it, it was pretty good.

When Trumpets Fade
A Midnight Clear
Band of Brothers (of course!)

Blackhawk Down
Band of Brothers
Tears of the Sun
and of course ..... FULL METAL JACKET!

Resaw "Glory" and it is just as good as ever on repeat viewings. The ensemble cast and the way the story focused on the people rather than the "special effects" of the battle scenes makes this a much truer to life story than many other (indeed most) war movies ever made.

I agree.  Glory is an outstanding movie.  Matthew Broderick really surprised me with his performance in that movie.

I whole-heartedly concur.  I've been keeping an eye out for it but it's not one of the ones you find in the $6 bin.

I just watched "We dive at Dawn". Its an absolute classic and i loved it. Especially the tattooing the wrong girls name tangent that went on. I almost felt like joining the navy... Then i remembered that all the Navy offer is Rum, Sodomy & the lash.

And i dont like the lash. ;D

BernDawg 

IF you want glory Sam the record man usually has it  but not for 6 dollars usually runs about 20 if I remember correctly .

Back