• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favorite multitool? Gerber,Leatherman, etc

ZBM2

Inactive
Reaction score
Im in the market for a new multitool as actually I broke my Leatherman recently, any favorites? And why, particularly. Im leaning towards the SOG. I like the heavy duty saw and plier jaw.

ZBM2 said:
Im in the market for a new multitool as actually I broke my Leatherman recently, any favorites? And why, particularly. Im leaning towards the SOG. I like the heavy duty saw and plier jaw.

Leatherman should warranty your tool.  I'd contact them first to see if they replace/repair it before you go dropping some money on a new one, unless you dislike the features of the Leatherman enough to buy a new one.  There's ALOT of good multitools out there, so it's kind of like being a kid in a candy shop.

Just my two cents - I like the Gerber design purely because you can open it one-handed.

I too am in the market for a new multitool as mine was stolen on my DP1 Infantry course... rather ticked about that. I am interested in your opinions as well.

The jaw on the leatherman is weak and the handle bites into my fingers and Id rather have a saw than a puny little rasp (fingernail file?) but the warranty is outstanding. I am considering a SOG.

I like the leatherman for light jobs .... Actually, I know a couple of EOD guys who like it for the tool for their trade.

On the other hand, I find the Gerber is heavy duty multi-tool. I did break the jaw on one Gerber and Gerber replaced it ... No Questions Asked.

Both are outstanding tools. Just depends on what type of work you wanting to use it for.

If it's light work like electrial applications. The Leatherman will do a great job.

If it's for day to day applications, I would recommend the Gerber.

I have no experience with the SOG. Therefore, I can't comment on the quality of that multi-tool.

I've always liked the free-ness of the issued Gerber.

And because it was free, I've put it through the paces.  I've had the same issued one for about ten years now and it's still ticking.  However, it is only a knife and not a pocket saw.

I've always liked Gerber, but have recently become a convert to the Leatherman ALx.  My only real gripe is the weight but hey, I'm in the artillery and really don't need to be humping anywhere... ;)

blake

I like the issued SOG, I bought it when I got out.  - but it does have an annoying habit of collapsible the screw driver bit them your using them.

Infidel-6 said:
I like the issued SOG, I bought it when I got out.  - but it does have an annoying habit of collapsible the screw driver bit them your using them.

Kev - are you posting drunk???  ;D ;D

REALLY sorry that I missed you in Ottawa this summer...

blake

The issued SOG is hands down the best multi tool ive used. With alittle practice it can be open and closed one handed, and its jaw is indestructable. Ive crushed enough rocks out of bordom with it.

Blake, nope not posting drunk.  Just poor proof reading - as I seem to forget to type words that I mean to insert.

I'd post some crimping shots with the SOG - but the safety nazi's would be all over me... ;)

Civilian view here but I really like the Leatherman wave model.  Only problem is the jaws are weak enough you can't open 45 gal. drums of fuel...but have cut helipads and skinned deer with mine.

We're issued gerbers but not many carry them...most collegues only carry a knife.

I've got a variety of Gerber multitools, and they work for me.

Cheers,

Wes

Infidel-6 said:
Blake, nope not posting drunk.  Just poor proof reading - as I seem to forget to type words that I mean to insert.

I'd post some crimping shots with the SOG - but the safety nazi's would be all over me... ;)

... I knew that man - I just couldn't resist.  i never should have spent my first year of university as an English major... ;)

blake

I've carried a Leatherman Supertool for the last 14 years, and it's never let me down.

Back