• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Facebook

Hmm.. don't know what to say worked for me this spring in Gagetown.

Nfld Sapper said:
Hmm.. don't know what to say worked for me this spring in Gagetown.

Yep, it worked for me here too.

I registered under my DIN addy, so the link was sent to me at work in PEI. I forwarded that email to myself at home.

Came home to Gagetown for the weekend, opened the link in the email I had sent home ... and it wouldn't work. So, I did what the linked email from Facebook told me to do (copied the web-addy link from the email and pasted it into my explorer bar & then hit enter) ... and then got in perfectly fine.

That's how it worked for me anyway.

ArmyVern said:
Yep, it worked for me here too.

I registered under my DIN addy, so the link was sent to me at work in PEI. I forwarded that email to myself at home.

Came home to Gagetown for the weekend, opened the link in the email I had sent home ... and it wouldn't work. So, I did what the linked email from Facebook told me to do (copied the web-addy link from the email and pasted it into my explorer bar & then hit enter) ... and then got in perfectly fine.

That's how it worked for me anyway.

Yeah forgot to add that part Vern.

The CF network on facebook is a joke. I don't know who the admins are but they certainly set a narrow standard for who can join the network. Only those members who have din access and an @forces.gc.ca email can join.

I have an @forces.gc.ca email address - apparently all members do -  but I can't send or receive mail there because my unit does not require me to access the DIN so I don't. I used to have that access when I was doing GD in Esquimalt, but I don't now. So I guess I'm not a real member of the CF according to the rules of the CF network admin on Facebook. (I can't wait to get some feedback on that one :) - g'ahead I can take it!)

There isn't any place to explain my situation to them during the 'join this network' process. I gave up. I guess they really don't want all CF members on their network. If they did, they'd widen their criteria. Instead I joined the Naval Reserve group and I haven't had any trouble finding my reserve or reg force friends on facebook.

*rant over*

NavComm I got no problem with any of your comments.
I agree ...overly restrictive.  Got no problems here on Army.ca with more open access !
Is it because Facebook is a college derived social network ?

Its only facebook.....

WHO CARES

NavComm said:
. So I guess I'm not a real member of the CF according to the rules of the CF network admin on Facebook.

Give your head a shake...no realy...

I thought I was "still young". But reading this article, I think I'll prefer the "I'm old". (shaking head)

How do you know your love is real? Check Facebook

"You got a Facebook and it's not on there, then it's not official," he said.

Cooper echoes: "If you want him or her to be exclusive then you need to put it out there."
The group, which has nearly 2,000 members, boasts ideas for Facebook to add to its lists of options for relationships.

Some of the ideas are "Has [insert name] wrapped around his/her finger," "Is seeing [...] but sssh don't tell" and "Is trying to figure out a way to break up with [...]"

Majka has some ideas of her own. "I wanted to be able to put multipeople" on the relationship status, she said. "Not for polygamy or anything, but for multiple dating."
Cooper would be lost without Facebook. "I'm not sure what they did before Facebook," he said.

I hate Facebook! Sorry Facebook lovers, but people who work in media & whatever else have been stalking me! @$$holes! And without paying me? Can't have that!!!! I cut them all off. Bunkers.  :p. Love to all my friends though.  :)

Israel army in Facebook clampdown

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7343238.stm

Add :

Israeli defence chiefs have moved to tighten internet social networking rules after photographs appeared showing sensitive military subjects.

A review of Facebook pages belonging to Israeli troops found that some had posted detailed pictures of air bases, operations rooms and submarines.
"These are things we don't want the public to see for security reasons," an official source told the BBC. Posting photos of troops in uniform - a popular pastime - is still allowed.

The new set of rules - which has not been made public - includes a ban on images of pilots and members of special units, and anything that shows specific military manoeuvres.

Rite of passage

The defence ministry launched its inquiry earlier in the year to check the potential security risk in the dozens of social networking groups dedicated to life in the Israeli military.

Compulsory military service is a rite of passage experienced by large numbers of young Israelis and in recent years they have shared their experiences through photos
and web-posted accounts of their activities. "There's a lot of illegal photography inside the Israeli Defence Forces, including the Israeli Air Force," a source inside the air
force told the BBC. "Most of the soldiers don't understand how much damage it may cause," the source added.

Militants in Lebanon and the Palestinian territories are believed to monitor Israeli web forums and communities, including Facebook and the photo sharing site Flickr, to get information.

Enthusiasts

The military source, who cannot be identified, says a few of his comrades are authorised to take pictures at their bases and to post them on Flickr. Every photo is vetted
by military censors, and the ones considered appropriate are assured a warm reception by the many enthusiasts of military hardware in the Flickr community.

But the defence ministry says military tribunals have investigated and disciplined about 100 soldiers who broke the rules and unwittingly helped the enemy this year.
It may seem a large number, but the defence ministry source said: "Considering the number of soldiers there are with social networking websites, it is a tiny proportion."

The worst offenders were punished with a month in jail for particularly egregious posts, while others were warned they would face similar punishment if they re-offended.

Is operations rooms something like decision and planning room ?

The article says :"The worst offenders were punished with a month in jail".
First time I read of people crossing so much PERSEC/OPSEC that they went to jail...

That should be a pretty good warning to those in our own forces who complain about getting a slap on the wrist when they do the same thing...

Regardless of the leagl issues that may come up, why would anyone want to submit their DND Email (DWan, ect...) to Facebook? Yes you get the big CF Network added, but that makes you a target (Persec, OpsSec, and ComSec) not to mention the daily influx of Facebook Junkmail AKA Spam, again making you a target for the DND Spam/Inter/ranet/Fun cops.

Back