• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Facebook

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
OK people anyway you can help me with this ?
I was roaming around Facebook as a newbie and found a couple of military friends of mine.
But when I went to join the "canadian forces network"  it said
"You must have a valid Canadian Forces email address to join this network. Please enter it below."
Well being retired  for a number of years I don't have one.
Anyone got any ideas on how I get around this problem?

Thanks

You won't be able to join the forces network but you can still add them as you friends and see their profiles. Its hard enough for current members to get on it because you need to send a confirmation to your forces account and then forward it to a civilian email address so you can access the site. The only option would be to use someone else's forces email and have them forward the confirmation email to you.

Welshy...you so smart.  Facebook junky.

HIJACK ALERT

PLEASE come back!  I'm going crazy without Ron!

I'm no facebook addict, its just a good way to see what people are up to. I actually don't use it that much.

BTW I should be coming back when the Base Commander sends me the approval.

Strike said:
PLEASE come back!  I'm going crazy without Ron!

And it's only been a couple of days.

Welshy said:
BTW I should be coming back when the Base Commander sends me the approval.

It sounds like you have a job awaiting you. How much influence do you think that a desperate Strike has with him?

It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with a certain LCol whose getting dizzy seeing me spin. 

Even if you had a valid @forces.gc.ca address, you still couldn't join. 

Facebook sends a link to that address (you need to click on it to validate); however, when you click the link, The FirewallTM says you can't look at it.  (At least in Halifax)

Hence the part where I said forward it to a civie email and open it at home.

Private Parts said:
Even if you had a valid @forces.gc.ca address, you still couldn't join. 

Facebook sends a link to that address (you need to click on it to validate); however, when you click the link, The FirewallTM says you can't look at it.  (At least in Halifax)

Everyone there managed to join just fine......

As an RMC cadet, I don't have an @forces.ca e-mail, just the @rmc.ca one.  The website doesn't recognise that as an idicator of CF membership. I'd like to join the CF network nonetheless. Any advice?

NCdt Lumber said:
As an RMC cadet, I don't have an @forces.ca e-mail, just the @rmc.ca one.  The website doesn't recognise that as an idicator of CF membership. I'd like to join the CF network nonetheless. Any advice?

Welshy said:
You won't be able to join the forces network but you can still add them as you friends and see their profiles. Its hard enough for current members to get on it because you need to send a confirmation to your forces account and then forward it to a civilian email address so you can access the site. The only option would be to use someone else's forces email and have them forward the confirmation email to you.

Strike said:
It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with

I'd love to come and watch that for a bit, but we're on the ranges all week and a good chunk of next.

when exactly are you given a canadian forces email address?

davidhmd said:
The trick is to forward the email that facebook sends to the DWAN to your at home account and then click the link from there.

Actually, I did that and they replied that they wanted the email to come from my military email account.  I sent them an explanation that I couldn't access the website from a DND computer and they accepted that.

PMedMoe said:
Actually, I did that and they replied that they wanted the email to come from my military email account.  I sent them an explanation that I couldn't access the website from a DND computer and they accepted that.

You must have registered on Facebook during that transition period last fall & winter then. Back then, some DND computers could still visit Facebook from work. Perhaps you were one of the first to have to forward it home to link link in and thus the query?

They didn't even query me when I linked in from an email forwarded to my home address from work. That was this past spring.

NCdt Lumber said:

Join the RMC network, my buddy is in that one still for some reason even though he is now in Shearwater.

OK the operators of the Facebok CF network made it difficult to join for PERSEC reasons.
But how about us retired types who would like to continue contact with serving acquaintances?
If we can send a man to the moon..... ;) then can't we somehow make this more accessible ?
Sounds like serving personnel are also finding it hard to join the network.

Back