• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Facebook

I have tried unsucessfuly to join the CF network, I get the Email that I need to reply and have forewarded it home but it will not accept that. I have yet to figure out howto get past this, perhaps I need to ask the admin for the Network?

Baden Guy you’re like me I just searched around and found specific Unit/Base groups etc ( there are quite a few) on their and have bumped into guys I haven’t heard from in 20 years.

ArmyVern said:
You must have registered on Facebook during that transition period last fall & winter then.

Nope, just joined up a couple of months ago.

HitorMiss said:
I have tried unsucessfuly to join the CF network, I get the Email that I need to reply and have forewarded it home but it will not accept that. I have yet to figure out howto get past this, perhaps I need to ask the admin for the Network?

HoM, do what I did and explain you cannot access the website from a DND computer.  Worked for me!  ;D

Blackthorne said:
No offense, but Facebook is a PERSEC nightmare. It should be blocked.

It's all in the settings you assign to yourself ... just like anything else.

Some ninny wants to allow their profile to be visible to any group they join and everyone else on facebook ... they're just stupid. It's not facebook ... it's individual people not being careful at what they allow others to see.

Blackthorne said:
No offense, but Facebook is a PERSEC nightmare. It should be blocked.

If someone is determined, they don't  need facebook to crack Persec.....

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
If someone is determined, they don't  need facebook to crack Persec.....

dileas

tess

Agreed.

But Sites like Facebook don't tend to promote or point out the features that enable folks to take charge of the "security" features of the site.

While it still remains the responsability of the user, it's a risk to everyone and a higher risk than say, and D-Board like this one. FOr waht it offers, it's not (in my opinion only) worth the risk and it should at least be blocked on the DND network.

Still can't stop them at home tho...

PERSEC=PERsonal SECurity

Anyway..enough thread jacking :D ...back to the regularly scheduled show..

Blackthorne said:
Agreed.

But Sites like Facebook don't tend to promote or point out the features that enable folks to take charge of the "security" features of the site.

While it still remains the responsability of the user, it's a risk to everyone and a higher risk than say, and D-Board like this one. FOr waht it offers, it's not (in my opinion only) worth the risk and it should at least be blocked on the DND network.

Still can't stop them at home tho...

Uhmmm HELLO!!

Have you missed the original point of this very thread??!!??

It IS blocked on the DND network ...

PMedMoe said:
Nope, just joined up a couple of months ago.

HoM, do what I did and explain you cannot access the website from a DND computer.  Worked for me!  ;D

Had the same problem you did (in April/May) - I'll try your suggestion.  Thanks.

ArmyVern said:
Uhmmm HELLO!!

Have you missed the original point of this very thread??!!??

It IS blocked on the DND network ...

Sorry...

Was there not a post saying that several folks had gotten in while others couldn't? If you choose to educate me please do so via PM. I don't want to detract from this thread more than we already have. :D

May I suggest decaf?

Mine worked, less than a month ago.  From home- went to the Facebook CF network and joined, and entered my forces.gc.ca address into the box.  The next day I got the email at work, then forwarded it home.  There was a link in the email - I cut and pasted in into my browser at home and voila!  You don't need to acces Facebook at work to do it, just your DWAN email.  As long as you go to the link they send you in the email, then you're in.

Blackthorne said:
Was there not a post saying that several folks had gotten in while others couldn't? If you choose to educate me please do so via PM. I don't want to detract from this thread more than we already have. :D  May I suggest decaf? 

Thats kind of like poking a stick in a bee's nest... expect to get stung.

I thought my first post was very clear how to become part of the network, but i guess not. :brickwall:

exgunnertdo said:
Mine worked, less than a month ago.  From home- went to the Facebook CF network and joined, and entered my forces.gc.ca address into the box.  The next day I got the email at work, then forwarded it home.  There was a link in the email - I cut and pasted in into my browser at home and voila!  You don't need to acces Facebook at work to do it, just your DWAN email.  As long as you go to the link they send you in the email, then you're in.

Did the same thing, but I cant link to the site.  When I cut and paste, it says that the link has expired or may be a broken link.

Sinister Sam said:
Did the same thing, but I cant link to the site.  When I cut and paste, it says that the link has expired or may be a broken link.

Exactualy......

Blackthorne said:
May I suggest decaf?

Suggesting Decaf to Vern is like suggesting a vegetarian alternative to a bear. In the end, you'll get mauled.

If you'd read enough into the comments, you would know that Facebook IS blocked on the DWAN. You cannot access any facebook pages through the DWAN Firewall/content filer.

What people have done, myself included, is submitting their Forces email when accessing facebook on personal computers. The link was then sent to their forces account, the email gave a link to authenticate. The link was blocked by DWAN. So you forward that email to your personal account, where you can then authenticate.

Yes Des we get that, however now when you forward the email with link to your civi email when you click the link to authenticate you get "link has expired" as a message....

Personaly I am going to just email the Network admins. But me whatever.

I just attempted to add myself to the Canadian forces network...

what I did was this

joined using a unfettered access internet machine

used my forces email

on my DWAN machine I forwarded the confirmation email to my gmail account...

went back to the internet machine and opened the forwarded email in gmail

clicked on the link

this FAILED

I have since sent an email to info@facebook.com explaining the above.

there was no time for the link to expire, I did the whole thing in less than a minute

Back