• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EXTENSION OF CLASS C RESERVE SERVICE FOR PERSONNEL WHOSE INJURY OR ILLNESS WAS S

211RadOp

Reaction score
CANFORGEN 174/07 DIN link

CANFORGEN 174/07 CMP 076/07 271856Z NOV 07
EXTENSION OF CLASS C RESERVE SERVICE FOR PERSONNEL WHOSE INJURY OR ILLNESS WAS SUSTAINED ON SPECIAL DUTY SERVICE
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. QR O ARTICLE 9.08
B. CFAO 24-1
C. DAOD 5018-2
D. CANFORGEN 137/07 CMP 059/07 221816Z AUG 07
E. CANFORGEN 116/04 ADMHRMIL 062 241749Z AUG 04

1. AS GROWING NUMBERS OF RESERVISTS ARE INTEGRATED INTO ALL ASPECTS OF CF OPERATIONS, THE NEED FOR A NEW POLICY APPROACH DESIGNED TO BETTER MANAGE CARE, ADMINISTRATION, AND THE SUCCESSFUL REINTEGRATION INTO THE WORKFORCE OF THOSE INJURED WHILE ON SPECIAL DUTY SERVICE IS CLEAR. IAW REF D SPECIAL DUTY SERVICE CONSISTS OF:

A. SERVICE IN A SPECIAL DUTY AREA (SDA) OR AS PART OF A SPECIAL DUTY OPERATION (SDO)

B. TRAINING FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE OF SERVICE IN A SDA OR AS PART OF A SDO

C. TRAVEL TO AND FROM A SDA OR SDO OR THE LOCATION OF THE TRAINING AND D. AUTHORIZED LEAVE DURING SPECIAL DUTY SERVICE

2. UNDER AUTHORITY OF REF A, FOR THE PURPOSE OF EFFECTIVE REINTEGRATION INTO THE WORKFORCE, ALL RES FORCE PERSONNEL WHO SUSTAIN AN INJURY OR ILLNESS WHILE SERVING ON CLASS C SPECIAL DUTY SERVICE WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR EXTENSION OF CLASS C SERVICE UP TO A MAXIMUM OF 24 MONTHS OR UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THE INDIVIDUAL IS EITHER TRANSFERRED TO THE CARE OF VETERANS AFFAIRS CANADA OR UNTIL SUCH TIME AS A MEDICAL OFFICER DECLARES, AND THE CHAIN OF COMMAND AGREES THAT THE INDIVIDUAL IS:

A. MEDICALLY FIT AND ABLE TO RETURN TO DUTY OR

B. ABLE TO RETURN TO AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION OR

C. ABLE TO RETURN TO CIVILIAN EMPLOYMENT

3. AS SOON AS RES FORCE PERSONNEL BECOME DISABLED AS A RESULT OF AN INJURY OR ILLNESS WHILE SERVING ON CLASS C SPECIAL DUTY SERVICE, THE EMPLOYING CO SHALL NOTIFY DCSA AND THE INDIVIDUAL S HOME UNIT CO OF THE DISABLING INJURY/ILLNESS VIA EMAIL OR MESSAGE, IAW REF B, AND FORWARD A CF 98 WITHIN 14 DAYS AS PER REF C

4. IF THE INDIVIDUALS INCAPACITY IS PROJECTED BY A MO TO EXTEND BEYOND THE END OF THE CLASS C SPECIAL DUTY SERVICE, THE HOME UNIT CO IS TO ADVISE DCSA OF THE REQUIREMENT TO EXTEND THE PERIOD OF CLASS C SERVICE AND THE REQUIRED LENGTH OF THE EXTENSION. THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WILL BE SENT TO DCSA:

A. THE INDIVIDUALS PARTICULARS, INCL SN, RANK, NAME AND INIT

B. THE OPERATION ON WHICH THE RESERVIST WAS SERVING AND CONFIRMATION THAT THE INDIVIDUAL WAS ON CLASS C SPECIAL DUTY SERVICE AT THE TIME OF INJURY/ILLNESS

C. THE INDIVIDUAL S HOME UNIT AND CLASS C EMPLOYMENT UNIT

D. CURRENT CLASS C TERMINATION DATE

E. CONFIRMATION BY MO OF DATES OF ANTICIPATED INCAPACITATION

5. DCSA WILL REVIEW THE SUBSTANTIATING DOCUMENTATION AND SUBMIT A RECOMMENDATION FOR CMP APPROVAL. ONCE THE EXTENSION OF CLASS C SERVICE IS APPROVED, DCSA WILL ISSUE A MESSAGE CONFIRMING AUTHORIZATION OF THE EXTENSION. FURTHER PERIODS OF CLASS C SERVICE MAY BE REQUESTED AND APPROVED AS REQUIRED FOR CONVALESCENCE TO A MAXIMUM OF 24 MONTHS FOR ALL EXTENSIONS

6. NO EXTENSION WILL BE GRANTED AND AN EXTENSION ALREADY IN PLACE WOULD CEASE SHOULD THE INDIVIDUAL UNREASONABLY REFUSE PRESCRIBED, MEDICAL TREATMENT. OBVIOUSLY, AN EXTENSION OF SERVICE ON CLASS C WOULD CEASE SHOULD THE INDIVIDUAL RELEASE FROM THE CF PRIOR TO THE END OF THAT EXTENSION

7. IT IS RECOGNIZED THAT THIS EMPLOYMENT POLICY APPLIES ONLY TO A SPECIFIC GROUP OF PERSONNEL WITHIN THE RESERVE FORCE. A BROADER CF POLICY ON CARE AND EMPLOYMENT OF INJURED CF PERSONNEL IS UNDER DEVELOPMENT AND WILL BE ISSUED IN DUE COURSE

8. OPI FOR THE STAFFING OF EXTENSION REQUESTS UNDER THIS CANFORGEN IS DCSA 2, 1-800-883-6094, (613) 995-1457 OR AVN 845-1457

9. THIS POLICY IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND REPLACES CANFORGEN 116/04 10. SIGNED BY MGEN W. SEMIANIW, CHIEF MILITARY PERSONNEL

Jammer:

The older CANFORGEN (116/04) provided for continuity of class C service for members; this streamlines things somewhat.  This is incremental, not revolutionary.

I'm very glad to see some of the issues I (and many others) have had have been ironed out somewhat, specifically the portion of the directive stating that the extension does not end until the member meets specific criteria, and does not require the member to continually submit an extension... Which will, hopefully, ensure the injured member receives continuous pay rather than having to wait until the extension is cleared (after quite a bit of foot work and annoyance), and then hope the pay catches up... which can sometimes take several pay periods. 
Granted, the pay does get there eventually, but sometimes 'eventually' can be after a mortgage payment or other financial even... which causes quite a bit of stress. As does trying to fix the problem.

I'm eager to see the implementation and execution of this directive. I glad to see any future injured reservists will be sorted out financially, which does alleviate a lot of stress while recovering.

Good stuff.

DAP,
Policy is pert much what LFQA is already applying....
I note that the new CANFORGEN says flat out that extension can be up to 24 months.  From my experience, DCSA will only entertain extensions of x of months at a time.... and force the MO to look at the file before blessing the extension.

Para 6 is a real kicker though... a person is sick.  He may not know or realize what he is doing... but if he refuses treatment, he gets dumped....

Geo:

The old CANFORGEN let DCSA only do 3 month extensions; changing that is a very positive step forward.

I am concerned that certain responsibilities have been moved to the home unit - Army Res RMS clerks don't learn CCPS.  Not a problem in a large base like Montreal where there is already staff to fulfil that function; possibly a concern in locations where there isn't a Reg F base in town...

dapaterson said:
Geo:

The old CANFORGEN let DCSA only do 3 month extensions; changing that is a very positive step forward.

I am concerned that certain responsibilities have been moved to the home unit - Army Res RMS clerks don't learn CCPS.  Not a problem in a large base like Montreal where there is already staff to fulfil that function; possibly a concern in locations where there isn't a Reg F base in town...

On the other hand, para 2 ends with a statement that could be beneficial to Reservists, as long as they have a carring C of C:

2. UNDER AUTHORITY OF REF A, FOR THE PURPOSE OF EFFECTIVE REINTEGRATION INTO THE WORKFORCE, ALL RES FORCE PERSONNEL WHO SUSTAIN AN INJURY OR ILLNESS WHILE SERVING ON CLASS C SPECIAL DUTY SERVICE WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR EXTENSION OF CLASS C SERVICE UP TO A MAXIMUM OF 24 MONTHS OR UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THE INDIVIDUAL IS EITHER TRANSFERRED TO THE CARE OF VETERANS AFFAIRS CANADA OR UNTIL SUCH TIME AS A MEDICAL OFFICER DECLARES, AND THE CHAIN OF COMMAND AGREES THAT THE INDIVIDUAL IS:

A. MEDICALLY FIT AND ABLE TO RETURN TO DUTY OR

B. ABLE TO RETURN TO AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION OR

C. ABLE TO RETURN TO CIVILIAN EMPLOYMENT

It would appear that Unit Comds will have some powers of discretion in these matters.

dapaterson said:
Geo:

(emphasis added, 'cause I've been through this soooo damn much it caused a serious meltdown)

This is exactly the step forward they've made.. and I agree; it is very positive.

Story time;

My first extension went in sometime at the end of Feb... I was still pretty messed up and receiving home care.  Due to lack of information (no one knew how to proceed, which is always the case when you're the first of something... in this case, the first repatriated member of the reg, since WW2), my extension went in late.  Result; I didn't get paid for a month.  My second extension went in sometime in May; this time I thought I was all over it... and I was, but somewhere along the line, between my BOR, the MO and the countless other people who handle the paper, someone dropped the ball... Result; another month+ with out pay.  Round 3; August whenever; Paperwork got messed up again.. No pay yet again. This aggravated the stress and frustration I was already under, which affected my health, etc, etc... It wasn't until I had I nice meeting with the LFCA commander (who was nice enough to come to my house and have coffee with my wife and I), and once the topic of my contract came up, he fixed it... no more extension BS... and here it is in writing. 

No one could possibly convince me that this CANFORGEN is anything but a step forward. This will save a great many others from having to put up with the bureaucracy of excessive contract extensions and the possibility of loss of pay...  It has been relatively simplified; You're hurt, you get paid 'till you can either go back to work, or you hook up with VAC... once either of those happens; you're back to class A, or under the care of VAC... the only way this can go wrong is if someones poor ethics gets in the way. And I'd hope in the case of wounded or sick soldiers, this wouldn't happen.

Either way, I'm happy progress is being made.

geo said:
the new CANFORGEN says flat out that extension can be up to 24 months.  From my experience, DCSA will only entertain extensions of x of months at a time....

Look who issued the CANFORGEN.  CMP.  Who do you think DCSA works for?

Your experience is good. However, IAW Mission Analysis, have to ask yourself "has the situation changed?"  In this case, yes it has.

CSA... my experience was as fresh as last week..... however, from a talk this morning...we'll gladly see that the new CANFORGEN is applied.  Will certainly make our life easier - as long as everyone cooperates and follows the game plan.

Anyway - will be going on sick leave tonight - Destroyed my knee last Friday & am going under the knife tomorrow AM... My partner will be looking after the injured in my absence (No flowers - send money ;))

A change that has been long in coming and should help a lot of injured reservists.

Now if only they can make sure every injured reservist is made aware of it, and every other member reads and complies with it...

Back