• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Everything KeLouJoH knows [Split from other threads]

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least not until we have a government that sincerely cares about the CAF.
Best I can do is a choice between people who will underfund CAF because they are fiscal conservatives, and people who will underfund CAF because they hate the military.

If you want to join CSIS, check out their career website - it's open information. You'll find most operational jobs (IO's, surveillance operators, some of the information security stuff requires a university degree or college diploma and those that say high school usually want some experience beyond that...I know because I've looked. Available jobs here: Available Jobs - Canada.ca

As for joining the Army (or any other part of the CAF), what do you want to do or learn? Sounds like you want to be a spook - look into signals intelligence or cyber warfare operator. One of my kids is in the Army - wasn't my first recommendation to him, given how things worked out, but he seems happy at this point. Depends on what your plans are.

I would say forget about your 'career' until you are 30.

One could forget about some careers before 29.

Like the New York City Fire Dept., for example.

You should not reach your 29th birthday by the beginning of the application process.

As others have said, such a broad question. There are so many personal and career facets to both the military and CSIS that a one-size fits-all naswer may not be possible. Does the OP actually mean 'army' or is using it as a generic term for military (like my wife does)?

One caution I would give regarding CSIS is 'it ain't like on TV'. If you ar looking for something akin to Mission Impossible or probably any spy novel, he'll probably be disappointed.

Every government department is subject to funding constraints. A friend did 30+ years in CSIS as a surveillance operator and, prior to 9/11, much of their work was limited to 9-5 and driving distance from their office (no accommodation costs). He said at least he was outside and not sitting at a desk as an analyst.

Joined the forum a day or so ago and bombed several threads. Gotta get your money's worth I guess.

This is exactly how I feel, sir.

Nowadays I only use Wikipedia to look up the personal lives of singers and artists that I like. I don't even use it as a source for scientific or philosophical terms. It just goes on and on and on, giving way too much info. Sometimes I just want a quick definition.
I guess it depends on the topic. Being an open-source site (I'll ignore the concept of controlling staff editors for now - I have no knowledge of that), I find it great for general knowledge but, like you, if I'm looking for an idiot's guide to some technical topic, I am often disappointed because the posted information is simply too complex for either my tiny brain or my purpose.

Joined the forum a day or so ago and bombed several threads. Gotta get your money's worth I guess.

I guess it depends on the topic. Being an open-source site (I'll ignore the concept of controlling staff editors for now - I have no knowledge of that), I find it great for general knowledge but, like you, if I'm looking for an idiot's guide to some technical topic, I am often disappointed because the posted information is simply too complex for either my tiny brain or my purpose.

FYI....

Wikipedia:Quality control​

This article discusses aspects of quality control at Wikipedia which are used in developing and guiding policies and procedures at Wikipedia directed at article development. An important distinction is made between the editing of the content of articles to maintain quality, and, the conduct of editors involved in the improvement and enhancement of articles written for Wikipedia.

The very wiki-nature of Wikipedia enables instant and continuous quality control, by allowing all editors in good standing to participate in improving articles and the encyclopedia as a whole. If someone comes across an error while reading Wikipedia, they can immediately and directly change it – by clicking on the Edit tab at the top of the screen, and then by typing away in the edit window that appears.

While there are a few bad apples who abuse this privilege by vandalizing or propagandizing, the vast majority of people who edit Wikipedia compose articles responsibly with the common good of humankind at heart – Wikipedia is a public resource intended to make knowledge freely available to everyone in the world, and most participants take this very seriously.

But mistakes sometimes occur. These, and the damage done by the bad apples mentioned above, need continuous attention. The three ways that Wikipedia maintains its quality control is as follows:

(a) A great deal of Wikipedia's volunteers' effort is applied to quality control. Wikipedia has an elaborate disciplinary system for handling vandals and other troublemakers, and a dedicated force of system administrators to enforce the Wikipedia community's decisions and policies – admins even have the power to block a bad apple permanently.

(b) Once material is added to Wikipedia, an army of volunteers organized under various departments check and recheck it to make sure it conforms to the high standards set forth in Wikipedia's policies and guidelines (which were established specifically with the creation of quality articles in mind). There are departments for everything from typos to factual errors. For a list, see Wikipedia:Maintenance.

(c) And Wikipedia even has robots, automated users that monitor for errors and correct them automatically. For example, these days most vandalism is fixed by Wikipedia's robots, or our content editors, who are watching your every move. Be careful.

For example, these days most vandalism is fixed by Wikipedia's robots, or our content editors, who are watching your every move. Be careful.
Vandalism is easy to fix. Creeping bias masquerading as "quality control" is not. I have enjoyed reading through the entrails of a few celebrated editing wars over the years.

I mean, isn’t it technically an “existing” condition? :unsure:
It's existing, but it's not a condition.

Pregnancy is not an illness. For the insurance company to call it that, it just shows that they are a crass, money-grabbing business that is only concerned with profit.

It's existing, but it's not a condition.

Pregnancy is not an illness. For the insurance company to call it that, it just shows that they are a crass, money-grabbing business that is only concerned with profit.
It is a condition - usually one that is self-limiting, though it can lead to some pretty serious disease processes both pre and post partum...some might even argue it's a sexually transmitted disease ;) . In the US, I'd almost call it a disease since they have the highest maternal mortality rates in the developed world, because of shit access to pre-natal care, because of insurance companies, hospital systems and politicians that view health care to be like any other free enterprise for profit business, as opposed to a basic human right.

It is a condition - usually one that is self-limiting, though it can lead to some pretty serious disease processes both pre and post partum...some might even argue it's a sexually transmitted disease ;) . In the US, I'd almost call it a disease since they have the highest maternal mortality rates in the developed world, because of shit access to pre-natal care, because of insurance companies, hospital systems and politicians that view health care to be like any other free enterprise for profit business, as opposed to a basic human right.
Hey we are busy arming for WW3

I for one am grateful to the US for having its for-profit health care system. Otherwise, I suppose my province would have nowhere to send people to get their basic human right fulfilled because we lack capacity to do it here.
Yeaaaah…you’ll have to narrow it down…you’ve pretty much described 9 to 10 of the provinces..

Its not Manitoba....

Whatever province the discussion is about, post-retirement HCSA cover private diagnostic tests....

Or, RMT. Might as well use it, or lose it.

Diagnostic tests – the cost of medical tests such as cardiographs, electrocardiograms, x-rays, ultrasounds, MRI, and CT scans (including the cost of any related interpretation or diagnosis). Deluxe or elective tests are eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back