• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) - Merged

Reading this thread is horrifying.  :'(

I notice that a lot of the earlier posts (2004-2005 era) talk about year-long waits for presec due to living in the UK for as little as a year, however it seems that in their cases, they did not submit a request for a UK police check themselves and had to wait for the RCMP [sic] to do so. I was made to acquire one myself and it was sent to Ottawa already complete. I'm just wondering if anyone else has more recent experience with UK related wait times. Not that I can do anything to speed it up, I'm just morbidly curious in a damage-assessment sort of way.

Just a quick question. During the security check when they look at your housing arrangements for the past 5 years, I have lived at a few different places and not always changed address so I'm not sure what addresses would be on file and I'm not sure what addresses to put down. If I miss one or two or have the wrong dates will this be a big deal? Same with employment, on my application I only put jobs that apply to my trade. Will I get in trouble for not listing them all? Thanks.

Put down all addresses and work during the last five years.  That is why they ask for it.  If you are not completely forthcoming on your information, how can they trust you?

If I explain to them that I am unsure about the address because I was moving every few months due to family members being ill and having to take care of them will they cut me some slack? Same with the jobs, if I explain that I left some out because they didn't pertain to the job I applied for will they cut me some slack? Like basically just explain why things are off?

No, explaining to them is not an excuse for leaving things off. Being a university student I would live 4 months at home then in rez, then at home, then in a different home back at school. Same with jobs, worked part time as a hockey referee both at home and where I went to school and summer jobs. I was told by the recruiter to put down every address and job for the last five years. You are not an exception to the rule and will notice signs in the recruiting center that say with holding or providing false information is an offence punishable with jail time. 

I didn't mean that I am going to lie on the security form I am just asking if I put where I have lived but I didn't change my address every time meaning what they look up is different than what I wrote down will there be issues? I wouldn't be lying it's just that when I moved every three months I didn't change my address with the government.

Neither did I. But still I was told to put down where I had lived. So mine was home, school, home, school  now home again. I would suggest while filling out your paper work to be as thorough as you can possibly be.

During the Security check, If I list that I have lived at Address 1, Address 2, Address 3 etc... but when they investigate it only show 2 places out of 5 that I have lived, is this a big deal? I never switched my mailing address over when I moved for the last 5 years so it will only show 2 places instead of 5. Should I put all 5 on the form and will it affect anything?

guitargod1227 said:
During the Security check, If I list that I have lived at Address 1, Address 2, Address 3 etc... but when they investigate it only show 2 places out of 5 that I have lived, is this a big deal? I never switched my mailing address over when I moved for the last 5 years so it will only show 2 places instead of 5. Should I put all 5 on the form and will it affect anything?

I'm pretty sure this question was answered for you in another thread. There are no short cuts list everything! If you are to lazy to do the paper work properly then perhaps the military isn't for you.

I am going to list everything, just wanted to make sure that if what I write is different than what they check I'll be ok. They will have less information than what I write down.

guitargod1227 said:
I am going to list everything, just wanted to make sure that if what I write is different than what they check I'll be ok. They will have less information than what I write down.

Looking at your posting history, you have some very serious problems.  You are applying for a job that takes its "SECURITY" very seriously.  You have posted questions now reference your poor Credit History, and now are asking questions about the "Security Check" and whether or not you should be listing all your residences.  This is not fracking rocket science.  It is simple and straight forward.  Fill in the questions asked, listing all details in chronological order, with NO BREAKS in timelines.  If you have any questions that have not been asked and answered here, ask them at the CFRC for clarification. 

It is quite obvious that you have not read this topic and found your answers, or you have a problem with comprehension.  You would be advised to read before you post and if you can not comprehend the simplest of instructions, nor information presented, you will find it difficult to be accepted into the Profession of Arms.

NOW!  Before you go and post another redundant question, READ what has been asked and answered already.

Jerry's Kids. 

I'm looking for a possible suggestion.

My application is currently being reviewed.  It's been suggested that I have a out-of-country criminal check completed while waiting.  I lived in the United States 4 years ago.

I called the police department where I lived, but they require me to show up in person before they can give me a document saying that I have no criminal history.

Any advice on how to acquire a criminal check for the Unites States would be helpful.  Thanks.

The only way that I can see to complete such a process is through the FBI (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks).  Maybe this is my only answer.

HoradricBacon said:
I'm looking for a possible suggestion.

My application is currently being reviewed.  It's been suggested that I have a out-of-country criminal check completed while waiting.  I lived in the United States 4 years ago.

I called the police department where I lived, but they require me to show up in person before they can give me a document saying that I have no criminal history.

Any advice on how to acquire a criminal check for the Unites States would be helpful.  Thanks.

The only way that I can see to complete such a process is through the FBI (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks).  Maybe this is my only answer.

Okay, my understanding is that if you had lived outside Canada, when they did your background check, Canadian authorities would contact the relevant foreign agency to determine if you were in the clear. You might just want to check with your recruiting centre for clarification.

Having said that, I did a little Google-Fu and did find this link to the Commissionaires BC website stating they can do out-of-country background checks. If the Commissionaires in BC can do the check, then its possible your local Commissionaires can also do it.

My question is regarding the pervious employer background check, I read through the "References Megathread" but I wanted to get an updated post 2009 answer from a recruiter as that was the last time it was mentioned. 

Basically, I have submitted my application online and am waiting for further contact.  I know at some point I will have to provide five personal/professional references, but my question is for the employment history background check do I have to provide a telephone number for every single employer I listed under the Employment History on my initial online application, or just for the most recent one or two?  I ask simply because some of my previous places of employment were upwards of five years ago and have either gone out of business, or the company was sold and moved, and or my managers/bosses have long since moved on. 

Any clarification on what I need to provide in terms of the employment history background check would be greatly appreciated.

Good day,

When providing information on past employer's, supervisors etc do your best to locate the pone numbers and contact information for them.

Had an employer that no longer exists. I listed the name of my supervisor at the time, the location of the head office, and a central switchboard phone number. All of which post 2011 no longer exist.

There were no issues.

MCpl Steven/WO Gregory

Don't forget the use of the "Statutory Declaration" where one can explain any unknown facts or further clarify information on the application.

Thank you all for your rapid information and assistance.  I was a little worried after I submitted my application when I realized a few of my past employers no longer existed!

Would an immediate family member who has been in and out of prison inhibit one's ability to obtain a security clearance? Charges are drug and weapons related.

Back