• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) - Merged

Depends on the occupation of the individual.  Technicians generally need Level 2 (Secret); some other trades may require Level 3 (Top Secret), for example, Comm Research or Int Op.

I believe the standard is level 1 for all trades unless higher is required such as Int and others that have been noted.  Armoured would fall into the Level 1 catagory I'd think.  Its expensive and time consuming to do higher levels when they are not required.

Schindler's Lift said:
I believe the standard is level 1 for all trades unless higher is required such as Int and others that have been noted.  Armoured would fall into the Level 1 catagory I'd think.  Its expensive and time consuming to do higher levels when they are not required.

Lvl II is what would be required by all CAF members if one was to follow the CTAT policies to the T.

Hello posters and lurkers alike, and thanks in advance for any responses.

To cut it short, I am seriously considering applying to become an officer (active or reserve, have yet to decide). However, I answer yes to all the following:
a)have dual citizenship
---yes, german and canadian. I am somewhat reluctant to give up my german citizenship if it came down to this.
b) if you lived, worked, studied or travelled outside of Canada in the last 10 years for a total of at least 180 days
--- yes, I was born in Singapore and lived there until I was 19. I have travelled quite extensively on vacation to both developed and undeveloped countries. I have since been studying at University of Toronto for the past 3 years. If I enlist into the military I will have been in Canada for 5-6 years.
c) if you have a child, parent, step-parent, spouse, in-laws, brother or sister (half & step) living outside of Canada
--- yes, both my parents live in Singapore still. My father has basically not been living in Canada since he graduated from university. They own a small professional business in Singapore and also own apartments the UK and the US.

If a Clearance Pre-Assessment is required, it can take between 6 to 18 months to complete.

My questions are
1) I am definitely going to be having to do a Clearance Pre-Assessment eh?
2) Will my history prevent me from becoming an officer?
3) What exactly goes into a Clearance Pre-Assessment? 6 to 18 months seems pretty extensive. 
4) Should I refrain from travelling to weird or 'potentially hostile' locations? (e.g. I was thinking about taking a month long trip to Russia and also doing a similar trips to South America or Israel a year or so before enlisting)

Additional reasons for why I think I could ( + ) or could not ( - ) pass this Assessment:
+my whole extended family on my father's side continues in Canada and has done so for several generations. Our family moved here between WWI and WWII and my father is the only one of his siblings (and person in our family I know of) to leave so far. My father's side is ethnically Japanese yet we are completely whitewash (none of us speak Japanese, just my grandma)
+my grandfather (now deceased) served in the Canadian Reserves as an officer, reaching the rank of honorary colonel upon retirement. He was a former commanding officer of the 23rd (Hamilton) Service Battalion.
+ By the time I do apply, it is very likely that my parents will own property in Canada.
- my travel history that may look pretty darn suspicious. The most suspicious would be a lot of visits to Thailand (on summer internships and volunteer teaching) and a visit to China.

Thank you for any advice or opinions regarding this matter,

inquistive said:
My questions are
1) I am definitely going to be having to do a Clearance Pre-Assessment eh?

NO, it's never a definite and you will never know until the Pre-Assessment has been reviewed and a decision has been made.

Hello
I'm having my interview 15 Sept at 10:00 and my medical at 13:00. The background check is done after my interview or its already done???
I had recive a email, before getting the call for the 15th, from the minister of defence saying that all was good and that should get a call soon from my recruter. Whats that about??? The background check??? 
Thanks

After my interview I was told there are still several checks that need to be done, including calling references...since then it's been a month and a half, which seems to be the norm for a lot of other people as far as I can tell...you might be in for a wait after your appointment, but they'll let you know then.

Lol!! I saw that too, thought - "Wow, and all I get are these Defence Update emails..."

Maybe my background check needs to be redone?

Haha... lay-people!

Don't sweat it.  When you get out after twenty/twenty-five plus years, you will get a nice certificate from him/her.  If you are really lucky it will be framed, but there are no guarantees that there will be money in the Budget for that.

Anira09 said:
Hello
I'm having my interview 15 Sept at 10:00 and my medical at 13:00. The background check is done after my interview or its already done???
I had recive a email, before getting the call for the 15th, from the minister of defence saying that all was good and that should get a call soon from my recruter. Whats that about??? The background check??? 
Thanks

Are you applying for Regular Force or Reserve Force?

Anira09 said:

If that's the case, then your background checks are not normally started until after your Medical has been approved and then file has been returned to your CFRC.

Is work history done along with background check after my medical ? I am suppose to redo my interview and medical because I had to re-apply to a V4 trade. However, I found out that the CF contacted one of my previous work places just to confirm whether I used to work there.

BlueAngels14 said:
Is work history done along with background check after my medical ? I am suppose to redo my interview and medical because I had to re-apply to a V4 trade. However, I found out that the CF contacted one of my previous work places just to confirm whether I used to work there.

Yes, employment history is part of the background check.  So if your references are indicating that they are or have been contacted, then chances are your checks have already started.

Back