• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

England Afraid to Fly the Union Jack?

tamouh said:
Crescent is not the islamic symbol during crusade wars...I believe black and green flags were the symbol. Byzantines are who used the crescent for the first time which later was adopted by Ottomon empire:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescent

Anyway, I know for a fact the crescent wasn't a symbol nor a flag for Islam until that time. I believe different muslim regions used to carry different flag colors (e.g. iraq region were known for their black flags, the Sham region (syria,lebanon,jordan,palestine) had the green or the red flag.

This is nice article on crusade time that looks at both sides:

http://www.doaks.org/Crusades/CR03.pdf

Neat,

What's your point, or do you want me to look that up on wilkpedia too?

dileas

tess

It's not the Union jack, but the English flag which is the cross of St George that is being talked about.  The English flag ( not the flag of Great Britian of the UK) is also a fasist symbol that is why there is talk of banning it.  Hopefully it will never happen, but your title should be changed.

radiohead said:
It's not the Union jack, but the English flag which is the cross of St George that is being talked about.  The English flag ( not the flag of Great Britian of the UK) is also a fasist symbol that is why there is talk of banning it.  Hopefully it will never happen, but your title should be changed.

Uhm,

Since when did St. George's cross become a sole Fascist symbol?  It has represented the English, since the inception of Saint George as England's Patron Saint.  Because "Political radicals" have adopted it, how has it been reasonable to banish it.

Please provide data to back up this statement.

dileas

tess

Thanks 48th. I woke up from a nap to see that and went, WTF - am I having a nightmare?

The English flag/St. George's cross is also a religious symbol and has as much meaning to a great many people as the crescent and Star of David have to others.

radiohead said:

Okay, work with me here.  If you disassemble the Union Flag, what do you get?  What is it comprised of?  Hint:  more than one Christian Saint is involved.

radiohead:

Where on earth did you get the misbegotten notion that the Cross of St. George was a fascist symbol?  English soldiers have been wearing that cross since the days of Richard the Lionheart at least and possibly earlier.  It was the uniform they were wearing when they got beaten by William Wallace and his lads carrying one of the other crosses of the Union Jack, the cross of St Andrew.

For those unclear of where Kat is coming from:

Upright red cross on white for St George - patron SAINT of England
Diagonal white cross on blue for St Andrew - patron SAINT of Scotland
Diagonal red cross on white for St Patrick - patron SAINT of Ireland

They would have put the Welsh patron, Saint David, on the flag as well but the designers felt that a leek might be just a bit too over the top.

Cheers.

group said that the red cross in the England flag

Semantics I know but it should read "group said that the red cross *IS* the England flag"

Kirkhill said:
They would have put the Welsh patron, Saint David, on the flag as well but the designers felt that a leek might be just a bit too over the top.

Isn't that the typical lot of the Welsh? Gypped again! ;)

tamouh said:
Crescent is not the islamic symbol during crusade wars...I believe black and green flags were the symbol. Byzantines are who used the crescent for the first time which later was adopted by Ottomon empire:

If you want to play that card, then you can also take into account that not all crusaders were English, nor did they all wear the Cross of St George.

On a similar note, from reading the magazine "This England", there has been a push from the governement level to have the Union Jack replaced with the European flag on public buildings.

Allan.

Sorry, no good.  The EU flag has stars on it. It was a bright star that led the three wise men to the scene of the Nativity.  Stars are a direct reminder that there are non muslims in this world.  Not on at all, I'm afraid..... ::)

the 48th regulator said:
Of course we would,

I don't beleive anyone would be burning their tent down.

Give your head a shake.

dileas

tess

That was a poor example - but imagine an aid group from India or China flying a flag with a swastika on it on Canadian - or Israeli - soil. (In those countries the swastika is still untainted by Nazism and is a sign of good luck, as it was here before 1939). I think the point is that the crusader's cross is offensive to some for historical reasons. Yes, some people go out of their way to take offence at petty stuff, but others also go out of their way to be ambivalent about giving offence. I personally would welcome help in a disaster no matter which flag was flying; others would not.

In this case, I think they're trying too hard to be offended. People are funny.

ayates said:
On a similar note, from reading the magazine "This England", there has been a push from the governement level to have the Union Jack replaced with the European flag on public buildings.

I friends in theUK and they say the opposite: MPs are giving away Union Jacks and encouraging them to be flown/waved.

Michael Dorosh said:
I personally would welcome help in a disaster no matter which flag was flying; others would not.

+1

It's not the flag bandaging my wounds or giving me water but a human being. Heck, in that situation I'd even accept help from a Tory  :D

Good Example Michael,

Agreed on that.

Funny The Order of St. Johns were also members of the crusades, what next should we stop them from aiding any offended people as well.  Seems to me a reaction from Europeans in the wake of removing all secular items worn by people.  France comes to Mind.  Maybe the English should start rioting...

dileas

tess

SB

I think you got your topics mixed up and should have been in the inappropriately titled "British thieves to finally return stolen property".

Back