• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Editorial: U of G to Honour War Criminal"

Piper et al,

Good work on keeping the fight alive against ignorant and disrespectful peons.

Also, please do not get discouraged by the continuous postings of these people.  They are after all excercising their right to freedom of speech which means there really is no way to stop them.  However, we can, and should continue to counter them.  Continue your posting and writing efforts if not for anything else but to ensure that the other side of the coin is well represented.  It does make a difference.

On another note, I am attening the Tri-University as a History grad student.  Although I take all my courses at the University of Waterloo, we are also directly affiliated with the University of Guelph.  I would be happy to assist in any future efforts. 

ltmaverick25,

I saw your excellent posts elsewhere. You're right; it's important and we haven't given up. Good to know you're there for us.

Any principled, responsible posting and writing you do will help.  :)

No worries, I am not above making endless principled responces, and can be quite long winded when I need to be :)

I only wish I came across this stuff sooner.

Ah!  Looks like a Creative Writing Class outing/gathering may be in order.    >:D

George Wallace said:
Ah!  Looks like a Creative Writing Class outing/gathering may be in order.    >:D

Yes Mr. Wallace, come join us in Guelph and lend a hand. We hope to avoid the nasty pitfall of the ad hominem among other journalistic errors.  ;)

Reference very first post of this thread.  The third link provided.  Brings you to the cannon.ca site.  On the right hand side you will see a link for the Hiller war criminal or war monger BS.  Click on that and you will see the article and the coments.  I cant provide a link right now, but will do so later if you havent already found it.

Had a look and even with APS, I will confirm that the George I read, wasn't me.  ;D

George Wallace said:
Had a look and even with APS, I will confirm that the George I read, wasn't me.   ;D

Well in that case, you are a slacker!  ;D

This U of G student is no slacker and has my admiration; a second letter following up this student's first--in response to The Cannon editorials (Re: Hillier Jan. 9, 10, 11.)

The Ontarion: Letters 2009-02-05 (Reproduced under Fair Dealings proviso of Copyright Act.)

Respecting Choices

I'm writing in response to the response by Steph Hughes to my letter about lack of support, and maybe even a little prejudice towards members of the Canadian Forces. Thank you for your response. However, I'd like to touch on some points that may have been missed in my last letter.

There is a great difference between being anti-war and anti-military. I believe you're correct in saying that war is sometimes "the only answer", but only because I am a true realist. It will be a happy day when mankind can put down their weapons and give each other a great big hug. I hope for the day there's total peace. But until then, we're going to have a military. There are few people in this world who are completely pro-war, military members included. Canadian Forces members are trained to do much more than fight, I assure you.

The trouble with some folk, here at U of G, is that they fail to see past the uniform. While CF members at most universities across the country are encouraged to wear their uniform on campus at least once per week, we at U of G are advised against it. Out of respect for "popular" opinion at Guelph, we wear our uniforms on special occasions only (Remembrance Day). Recruiting is also banned from campus because a small minority believes our students can't think for themselves when it comes to a career.

About your comments on Remembrance Day, it does not bother me when I don't see many people wearing poppies. That is their choice. However, I am bothered when people try to tell me I shouldn't be wearing one, because I'm promoting war. Please respect the choices other people have made. Whether joining the military, or joining the Guelph peace alliance: to each his own.

[name not published here]

Whoever this person was replying to sounds like a completely ignorant and sheltered bonehead.

An editorial from the U of G:

The Ontarion   (Reproduced in accordance with the Fair Dealings provision of the Copyright Act.)
http://theontarion.ca/viewarticle.php?id_pag=2139

Battles Over Leadership

Julia Chapman [editor]
2009-02-05

Business was as usual in the Ontarion office last Friday morning. It was quiet, as a Friday usually is. I arrived, and did what I usually do: dump my stuff, talk to staff, check my inbox and glance at the University's homepage. Now, glancing at the University's homepage usually doesn't amount to anything scandalous, but on Friday it did a little.

The top story staring at me was, 'U of G to Present Outstanding Leader Award to Rick Hillier'. The Lincoln Alexander Outstanding Leader Award was presented by the College of Management and Economics on Tuesday. This wasn't the scandalous part. The scandalous part was what I knew was coming next: protest. My head said, "oh, shit" but in my gut, I was secretly a little excited because I knew some controversy was coming (every journalist likes a little controversy). And I was right.

Later that afternoon, I received notification that Scott Gilbert, editor of thecannon.ca, the website run and regulated by the CSA and Guelph Campus Co-op, had written an editorial posted smack at the top of the site entitled 'U of G to honour war criminal'. A slew of posts both in protest and some agreeing to Gilbert's piece followed.

Since it's posting, the title of the editorial was once changed to 'war monger' instead of 'criminal' but was entirely removed by thecannon.ca's operating committee while they assessed it's appropriateness.

Meanwhile, the editorial was picked up by about a dozen blogs, CTV and prompted two Facebook groups; one in support of the award, the other very against.

Former Ontarion Editor-in-Chief and now the National Affairs correspondent for CanWest News, David Akin, responded to Gilbert's piece in his blog, David Akin On The Hill. He did so in a way, he said, he never had before.

"I have never, in more than 25 years as a professional journalist ever written a letter to the editor complaining about someone's coverage or asking for someone to censor themselves but I did so today," said Akin in his blog posting. "I believe that speech must be free and should have as few limits as possible, even if that speech is occasionally hurtful. But this morning's piece, its placement, and its prominence was beyond the pale so here's what I wrote…"

Akin wrote asking thecannon.ca administrators to consider removing the piece.

I wholeheartedly agree with Akin. As a journalist, there are rare occasions when I would say speech should have some limits and it is my prerogative as an editor to encourage constructive debate, discussion and engagement in any given issue.

Gilbert's editorial, the original headline in particular, was straight-up libelous. The accusations made by labeling Hillier as a "war criminal" and comparing his actions to those of Paul Bernardo, which Gilbert did in his original conclusion, are big accusations – not anything to be taken lightly. This is something any journalist would realize.

Thecannon.ca has an editor and several reporters hired to create online journalism for students. Akin has already made the points I'd like to make, and he said it best:

"[The] vicious attack on Canada's former chief of defence staff does little to advance any debate on an important public policy issue. And to allow such a smear to be published in a forum which claims to speak for 'the undergraduate students at the University of Guelph' brings dishonour to the University, the CSA and the undergrads."

I am not saying Gilbert doesn't have the right to discuss his opinion but, there are ways to discuss opinions constructively – this piece does not reflect that. The CSA and thecannon.ca's operating committee should consider being more proactive in their approach to publishing libelous material.

On a different note, the reaction from the award sparked a small conversation in our office. This award given by the CME was a tremendous one; recognizing leadership in today's society is a tremendous honour and is a most flattering label that leaves utmost responsibility on the chosen individual. Not to mention that Lincoln Alexander, an exceptional leader, has his name attached to this award. Huge honour.

One of the editors here noted that it is interesting that such a large honour was met with protest and ill-feelings from a substantial number of students. This award is meant to represent the University – much like what appears on affiliated websites – but based on some student reaction (see article in News section and because I asked for a taste), it doesn't seem as if all avenues were taken to choose a person who does fully represent what leadership means to the U of G community.

Last semester, I wrote an editorial entitled 'Actions and Words' discussing the actions and words of the CSA and Life Choice. I think these situations, thecannon.ca editorial in particular, where actions were taken and words were used without ample thought: It's about time that changed.

Scott Gilbert needs a better editor.  Using 'where' in place of 'were' is simply poor spelling and/or grammer.  'Nuff said!

Back