• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Editorial: U of G to Honour War Criminal"

Guelph Mercury editorial, Jan. 15:

Hillier honour was well-placed
http://news.guelphmercury.com/Opinions/article/427161

In an age when politicians and other public figures take inordinate pains to remain on guard and stay with the script, retired general Rick Hiller was a breath of glacial fresh air.

It was his penchant for speaking his mind -- often in very curt, blunt ways -- that endeared him to many in the media, to his supporters and of course to his troops. But it could grate his opponents, and there were a few of those on hand Tuesday [Jan. 13] at the University of Guelph. We're grateful it was only a few.

Hillier was at the university to receive the Lincoln Alexander Outstanding Leader Award. He's only the second person to receive the honour since it was created and first awarded for long-serving chancellor and now chancellor emeritus Lincoln Alexander, and he was an extremely appropriate recipient.

From his appointment as Canada's chief of defence staff in February 2005 until his retirement from the Canadian Forces last July, Hillier was the most outspoken person in eons to hold the Forces' highest position, particularly when it came to his advocacy for increased defence spending in the post-9/11 era.

Underspending -- and underappreciation -- of the military was endemic and stretched back at least to the successive Liberal governments of Lester Pearson and Pierre Trudeau in the 1960s. During the Trudeau age, there was even serious talk about disengaging from such international military commitments as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Of course, we're still very much part of NATO, and under its umbrella Canadians are fighting in Afghanistan in our first real war since Korea in the early 1950s.

Hillier engendered enormous respect from the men and women who are serving and dying there, a hallmark of an outstanding leader of the kind the U of G has properly seen appropriate to honour in a very public way.

Mark
Ottawa

Piper said:
Ta daa;

http://news.guelphmercury.com/Opinions/article/427650

That was well written. Kudos.

One of my friends who sits on CSA told me there will be an emergency meeting regarding the two renegades at the cannon, and it looks like there will be strong support to have them removed. I'll make sure he mentions the idea of an apology to students and Gen Hillier.

AEC Kapp said:
That was well written. Kudos.

One of my friends who sits on CSA told me there will be an emergency meeting regarding the two renegades at the cannon, and it looks like there will be strong support to have them removed. I'll make sure he mentions the idea of an apology to students and Gen Hillier.

Outstanding. Keep us posted and push the apology issue.

Excellent, excellent letter! It's a brave person who takes an honourable stand--like that written example.  I hope an apology will be forthcoming but somehow I doubt it will; it seems the two authors of this dishonesty have conveniently transferred their rant to the guelph peace alliance where the same out-of-context inaccuracies are being spewed.(I refer to the hundreds of flyers in evidence at Club Day, "Stop the Uof G From Awarding Militarism War Monger to Receive Lincoln Alexander Award.")

At least it's not being funded by the undergraduate student body.

Kudos Piper,
                    Way to stand up to those spoiled brat, commie bast#rds.

"Thecannon" is a reference to a RN naval cannon, "Old Jeremiah", which graces the U of G campus.  Legend has it that a group of students once came up wth the resources to actually fire it, much to the dismay of the Admin (and a number of windows downrange).   A load of cement in the barrel soon followed.  On the Gilbert issue I think we have to keep things in context; there are something over 20,000 students and staff at the U of G so what a dozen "activists" say or do really amounts to a hill of beans.  Given the miserable response to their activities I'd say the message being sent is far from the one they're hoping for.

Sadly, there was little push to have the editor fired, or to have him apologize.

The CSA has "covered it's ass" by removing the article, and from what I'm told, will likely be reposting a heavily edited version.

Right now I'm awestruck by the stupidity of the CSA, even now. This has gathered national attention, and the CSA is continuing to make UofG look like a bunch of commie hippies by not only keeping the editor on staff, but by reposting the article, regardless of how heavily edited it is.

People at CSA would be excellent military assets, they've proven their ability at digging themselves into a hole.

AEC Kapp said:
Sadly, there was little push to have the editor fired, or to have him apologize.

The CSA has "covered it's ***" by removing the article, and from what I'm told, will likely be reposting a heavily edited version.

Right now I'm awestruck by the stupidity of the CSA, even now. This has gathered national attention, and the CSA is continuing to make UofG look like a bunch of commie hippies by not only keeping the editor on staff, but by reposting the article, regardless of how heavily edited it is.

People at CSA would be excellent military assets, they've proven their ability at digging themselves into a hole.

I'm not surprised at all.  ::)

Bloody commies.

Sigh, the Communist Student Association (for those of you who don't go to Guelph, this is a play on the Central Student Association, the union we all involuntarily belong to) is at it again;

http://www.thecannon.ca/viewpoint_details.php?id=7725

They're calling the General a war criminal, again.

Piper said:
Sigh, the Communist Student Association (for those of you who don't go to Guelph, this is a play on the Central Student Association, the union we all involuntarily belong to) is at it again;

http://www.thecannon.ca/viewpoint_details.php#comment

They're calling the General a war criminal, again.

I get "Sorry, this news article was not found."  ???

And, for the record in case things change AGAIN, here's the latest version in .pdf....

Again, well done to all fighting the good fight on this one!

Has this character, Scott Gilbert, ever done an honest days work, in the real world, in his life?

Even my critics from the Campus Conservatives should heed the warnings of legal experts like Byers and Schabas even if they disagree with me personally. These credible allegations - supported by a growing body of evidence

Legal Experts like Byers.....................Obviously he hasn't read the Anti-Byers crowd in UBC.   I really wonder where in his fantasy world he is digging up so many "Credible Allegations", supported by a "Growing Body of Evidence"?   Has he mysteriously gotten himself embedded with the Troops in Afghanistan to do some undercover work?  

Can we send this fellow a roll of tinfoil to make a hat and jacket liner for his white coat with long sleeves that wrap all the way around the waste and buckle together?

George Wallace said:
Has this character, Scott Gilbert, ever done an honest days work, in the real world, in his life?

Legal Experts like Byers.....................Obviously he hasn't read the Anti-Byers crowd in UBC.   I really wonder where in his fantasy world he is digging up so many "Credible Allegations", supported by a "Growing Body of Evidence"?   Has he mysteriously gotten himself embedded with the Troops in Afghanistan to do some undercover work?  

Can we send this fellow a roll of tinfoil to make a hat and jacket liner for his white coat with long sleeves that wrap all the way around the waste and buckle together?

I've fired off another letter to the editor of the Guelph Mercury, the city paper and have dutifully left a comment on the article. But other then that, it just seems hopeless. And I can't shake the though that I've given this communist scum sucker more legitimate press then he ever would have gotten had he been ignored.

Piper said:
I've fired off another letter to the editor of the Guelph Mercury, the city paper and have dutifully left a comment on the article. But other then that, it just seems hopeless. And I can't shake the though that I've given this communist scum sucker more legitimate press then he ever would have gotten had he been ignored.

I'm ignoring both him and thecannon.ca from now on. I can find much better things to read.

(Say, that Gilbert's quite the academic citing such erudite and academic sources as Byers, The Globe and Mail and The Toronto Star. ::) I bet he never gets past the front page of a newspaper.) /sarcasm off

BTW Piper, is it true he's not even a student?  Just hanging around to recruit for the communist party?

leroi said:
I'm ignoring both him and thecannon.ca from now on. I can find much better things to read.

(Say, that Gilbert's quite the academic citing such erudite and academic sources as Byers, The Globe and Mail and The Toronto Star. ::) I bet he never gets past the front page of a newspaper.) /sarcasm off

BTW Piper, is it true he's not even a student?  Just hanging around to recruit for the communist party?

Don't ignore the cannon totally, the other commie editor offered to post up my articles until they resolve 'technical' issues that preclude me from working directly for them. Stay tuned.

Piper,

I'm following what they're doing quite closely. Letters are being written but not to the cannon.

I scanned Gilbert's second letter. It also made me sick: now it's "trial by the MSM "quoting intellectual heavyweights such as Rosie Di Manno et. al.  ::) 

Do they even want to have a reasonable debate?

Many of them believe the a-Q is something Harper and Bush dreamed up together. It's a plot to hire more security people in Canada and get oil ...

I've convinced myself that Gilbert is deliberately attempting to subvert two Canadian institutions in one fell swoop: the military and the university as a means of destabilizing social order in Canada. 

BTW, I thought of you today because I'm reading a real cool book, "Spyng 101: The RCMP's Secret Activity at Canadian Universities 1917-1997." Can't wait to read the chapter on Guelph! I said to myself, I bet Piper would find it interesting ...

If I can help with anything, don't hesitate to contact me. 

I thought this was a good Letter to the Editor in the U of G's Ontarion. Of course, the editors buried it at the back of the paper behind the anti-military rhetoric.

The author does an excellent job illustrating what CF members and their families are up against on some Canadian campuses today. On the positive side, many people are fighting this trend, too. Although some here may be tiring of this topic, please hear this member's brave plea, for "just a little bit of respect." :cdn:

The Ontarion
Publication Date:
2009-01-22

To the Left, To the Left

Every week since first year, I have opened up the Ontarion to find the same old anti-military, anti-war editorial, opinion, and political columns claiming to represent the "majority" of the student population. The decision to award General Rick Hillier the Lincoln Alexander Outstanding Leader Award was commendable. The University of Guelph was not making a political statement by giving this award to former General Hillier. They were awarding an individual who spoke his mind, (which did not always agree with the government in power) to ensure the well being of Canadian soldiers and their families under his leadership and guidance. A leader by example, he spent Christmas with the troops in Afghanistan, kept moral at an all-time high during difficult times, and transformed the Canadian Armed Forces for the better.
I am tired of opening the Ontarion every week to find yet another article against Canadian Forces in Afghanistan, and against the Forces in general. You might be shocked to read this, but there are students here at U of G who are full or part-time members of the Canadian Forces, myself included. We attend classes, special lectures, play intramurals, and walk amongst the student population unnoticed. U of G does not allow recruiters on campus, and we are in fact discouraged to wear our uniforms on school property. I am proud to be a member of the CF, but sometimes, especially since the publication of Mr. Gilbert's piece on the cannon.ca, I am not so proud to be a part of the U of G. Not because of the institution itself, but because of a small disrespectful minority.
Free speech is a pinnacle of a democratic society, and I encourage citizens to constantly question their government and institutions of power. But do so respectfully, and without resorting to liable and slander. All I'm askin' is for a little respect. Just a little bit.

[Edited:name not published here]

Edit: re-format

Back