• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Editorial: U of G to Honour War Criminal"

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
From thecannon.ca, the online newsletter of the University of Guelph's Central Student Association (useful "Comments", do read them):
http://www.thecannon.ca/viewpoint_details.php?id=7723

by Scott Gilbert

Jan 9, 2009 - "Retired Canadian general and chief of defence staff Rick Hillier will receive the Lincoln Alexander Outstanding Leader Award on Jan. 13 from the University of Guelph's College of Management and Economics (CME)."

When I read this earlier today I nearly pissed myself. The press release was baffling and showed an utter disregard for human rights - a poor reflection on our university. Let me explain.

Hillier is being honoured for "his exceptional abilities as a communicator with soldiers, the public and the media..."

Exceptional abilities as a communicator? Rick Hillier is the source of the infamous linguistic rampage of a nature you wouldn't even expect from George W. Bush. In 2005 he spoke about the role of Canada's Armed Forces in Afghanistan. The CTV News website quotes him as saying: "We're not the public service of Canada," he said. "We're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people." Really? Whatever happened to Canada's role as peacekeeper? Why is it our job to "kill people" in Afghanistan? What about due process, or the right to a fair trial?

As absurd as this already was, he went on to say the role of Canada's JTF-2 soldiers in Afghanistan was to join the fight against "detestable murderers and scumbags". How eloquent of him - just the kind of terminology sure to help our image abroad in these difficult times.

Then in 2007 the Globe and Mail exposed the debacle of prisoner transfers. This is when, under the oversight of Hillier and O'Connor, Canadian soldiers where transferring some of the prisoners they captured over to Afghan forces where they were subsequently tortured. The Globe's Graeme Smith wrote: "Afghans detained by Canadian soldiers and sent to Kandahar's notorious jails say they were beaten, whipped, starved, frozen, choked and subjected to electric shocks during interrogation."

One of these prisoners, Mahmad Gul, 33, said he was interrogated for three days by Afghan police in May of 2006. He said Canadians told him to ‘Give them real information, or they will do more bad things to you,' and said that although it was the Afghan police actually doing the dirty work, the Canadian soldiers who visited him between beatings had surely heard his screams. Reminiscent of Abu Ghraib?

Now this award is going to someone who supposedly demonstrated "exceptional abilities as a communicator with...the public and the media..."

What did the media think of him during the prisoner transfer scandal? Well, at the time there were numerous calls for the resignation of Hillier and O'Connor from both political parties and many public advocacy groups, including the well-respected Council of Canadians. The Toronto Star's usually very conservative columnist Rosie Dimanno wrote an article with the subtitle "[Hillier] defends decision to hand over captured Taliban as 'right thing to do'". At the end of this piece that looks at the gaffes of Canada's Armed Forces over prisoner abuse, she writes:

"Asked if his own leadership should be put into question as a result of this imbroglio, the general responded: 'Well, that wouldn't be a question to ask me, would it? You'd have to ask the men and women that I lead. And you'd have to ask my Prime Minister, of course.'

The answer is self-evident."

Sounds like even the Star approved a call for his resignation. Is he really the effective communicator the university is honouring him for?

And I love the quote Maclean's ran in 2008. "Asked early this year about a gaffe by a Harper staffer on the delicate subject of Afghan prisoner transfers, Hillier, who was on a winter holiday in the Dominican Republic when it happened, remarked, 'I was on my third rum and Coke, and I really didn't give a damn.'" Surely the words of an exceptional leader and someone devoted to advocacy, collaboration, and scholarship.

Hillier also faces a legal challenge from Amnesty International and the BC Civil Liberties Union (Amnesty International Canada and British Columbia Civil Liberties Association v. Chief of Defence Staff for the Canadian Armed Forces, General Rick J. Hillier, Minister of National Defence and Attorney General of Canada)

In the case, they argue "that transfers of these detainees violates the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and Canada’s international human rights obligations not to transfer detainees when there is a high probability of torture or ill treatment." The case is against Rick Hillier himself.

Another Globe and Mail article contains the following quotes from "Human rights experts and university professors Michael Byers and Amir Attaran"

"In the current circumstances, they said, Canadian Forces members are complicit in the alleged torture that is inflicted on prisoners of war in Afghan prisons.

'Under international law, you are prohibited from transferring to torture. You are prohibited from facilitating torture in any way,' said Mr. Byers, who teaches international law and politics at the University of British Columbia.

'We're not simply speaking about the criminal responsibility of individual Canadian soldiers. We're speaking also of command responsibility, of criminal responsibility that continues up the chain of command, to any superior officer who knew of the risk of torture and who ordered or allowed our soldiers to transfer detainees nevertheless,' he said."

It really is a shame that Rick Hillier of all people has been chosen for this award. There are so many people in Canada far more deserving of such a prestigious award and with much better track records. For the U of G to praise this guy shows a lack of critical thinking, poor moral judgment and tells the world how complicit we are in activities that violate countless international laws and multi-national conventions. Not exactly the "moral conscience of society" that U of G president Alastair Summerlee touts this institution as being.

What's next - an award to Paul Bernardo for his exceptional work with youth [emphasis added]?

A post at The Torch:

"We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/01/were-not-public-service-of-canada-were.html

And one by David Akin of Canwest News (a Guelph alumnus--he's taken action, good on him):

A request - and a complaint
http://davidakin.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2009/1/10/4052210.html

You can vote here, at right:

Do you think Rick Hillier deserves an award from U of G?
http://www.thecannon.ca/index.php

Mark
Ottawa

Not trying to spam the site, however, I'll re-post it here.

There's a facebook group trying to counter this;

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=44399707204#/group.php?gid=44399707204

or search "In defence of General (Ret'd) Hillier's award from the University of Guelph". This story has also been picked up by CTV South-West Ontario.

Just checked ( and voted) on the poll at U of G....it's 96% in favor of Rick....

To David Aiken, The Torch and others....they have all done a masterful job of putting this twit in his place....

If I never hear or read the words "Canada's role as peacekeepers" again, it'll be too soon.

GAP said:
Just checked ( and voted) on the poll at U of G....it's 96% in favor of Rick....

To David Aiken, The Torch and others....they have all done a masterful job of putting this twit in his place....

Agreed.

And a personal apology to you Piper.  In defence I can only say I didn't realize how much air time the twit was going to get.

Well done.

Kirkhill said:
Agreed.

And a personal apology to you Piper.  In defence I can only say I didn't realize how much air time the twit was going to get.

Well done.

No worries. The author has a knack for calling attention to himself and it's high time he got called on it. I've already called CTV to correct some inaccuracies in their reporting (i.e. this guy isn't a student anymore, so I hear, and is not a spokesman for U of G students in any way shape or form). 

Guelph has a university? I thought they were famous for their barber college.

22B--barber college? No, it's often referred to affectionately as "Cow College"  or " U of  Moo" because it possess one of the best Veterinary Teaching facilities in the world. Believe it or not this university has a historic tradition of supporting the Canadian military.

Anyway, that's beside the point of this discussion.

Piper, I just checked in with The Cannon and noticed the Gilbert piece has undergone a transformation: the title's been changed slightly. Not that it makes a difference now that the damage has been done: the phrase "war criminal" has been replaced with "war monger." 

I think Scott Gilbert needs to offer a public apology to General Hillier.

Piper again, thanks for the update re: the author of the libelous material having not even been a student???--the whole thing was a shame and a sham.

As for the change in the title of the editorial:

The courage (hah!) of their convictions
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/01/courage-hah-of-their-convictions.html

Mark
Ottawa

Update: sometime late last night the reference to Paul Bernardo underwent a sleight-of-hand and was mysteriously removed.

And this morning (between nine and ten) the libelous piece is gone altogether: http://www.thecannon.ca/viewpoint_details.php?id=7725

Editorial: Rick Hillier Editorial
by The Cannon Operating Committee

Jan 11, 2009 - The editorial written by Scott Gilbert and posted on The Cannon Friday, January 9 has been removed while The Cannon operating committee investigates its appropriateness. As with other writing that appears on this website, this editorial does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Central Student Association and the Guelph Campus Co-op who jointly administer The Cannon.

( Someone finally had the presence of mind to consult a solicitor, methinks.)

Cached version of original editorial is here:
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:yRRGY7sGuMkJ:www.thecannon.ca/viewpoint_details.php%3Fid%3D7723+%22The+Cannon%22+%22Rick+Hillier%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Via Laura Payton:
http://davidakin.blogware.com/blog/cmd=post_comment/article_id=4052210/parent_id=1209749

Mark
Ottawa

Thanks for finding that archived version of the article (I have a copy saved on the computer as well). Personally, I'm not letting this go util the author is fired from thecannon.ca, but I do appreciate the blog support this has gotten, almost entirely via the work of MarkOttawa.

WRT, the survey:  the survey question from The Cannon has changed but the values/findings have not. The values are the results for the Rick Hillier question (98% in support of General Hillier's award). The question has unscientifically been posed to load it and imply a particular majority undergraduate view on the Hamas/Israel conflict that is not legitimate:

Survey Results
Do you support Israel's current invasion of Palestine?

Answer:  Yes  98%    No  1%    It Depends  0%    Undecided  0% 

So now, Scott Gilbert and Andrew Garvie  are able to deliberately and dishonestly play with statistics with impunity as their wages are paid by the same undergraduates they misrepresent and toy with???

Oboy,  ... I'm angrier than I was yesterday.

breathes and slowly exhales .....

Piper, how the f@ck (I never thought I'd almost say that word here. Sorry Mr. Bobbitt) do these two yellow-bellied, communist, sap-suckers continue to get away with this crap???

MarkOttawa said:
Cached version of original editorial is here:
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:yRRGY7sGuMkJ:www.thecannon.ca/viewpoint_details.php%3Fid%3D7723+%22The+Cannon%22+%22Rick+Hillier%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Via Laura Payton:
http://davidakin.blogware.com/blog/cmd=post_comment/article_id=4052210/parent_id=1209749

Mark
Ottawa

Second link is dead.

Re: A request - and a complaint
by Laura Payton
The post has been removed - but you can still google "The Cannon" and "Rick Hillier" to get the cached version.

leroi said:
WRT, the survey:  the survey question from The Cannon has changed but the values/findings have not. The values are the results for the Rick Hillier question (98% in support of General Hillier's award). The question has unscientifically been posed to load it and imply a particular majority undergraduate view on the Hamas/Israel conflict that is not legitimate:

Survey Results
Do you support Israel's current invasion of Palestine?

Answer:   Yes  98%    No  1%    It Depends  0%    Undecided  0% 

So now, Scott Gilbert and Andrew Garvie  are able to deliberately and dishonestly play with statistics with impunity as their wages are paid by the same undergraduates they misrepresent and toy with???

breathes and slowly exhales .....

Piper, how the f@ck (I never thought I'd almost say that word here. Sorry Mr. Bobbitt) do these two yellow-bellied, communist, sap-suckers continue to get away with this crap???

Because thecannon.ca is their playground and the CSA is their enabler. It has to stop, somehow.

leroi said:

They are two separate survey items.  The Hillier questions is archived with the former items.

http://www.thecannon.ca/lounge_survey_all.php

gwp said:
They are two separate survey items.  The Hillier questions is archived with the former items.

http://www.thecannon.ca/lounge_survey_all.php

Well gwp, I might be wrong.  God know this middle-aged brain of mine has failed me before but I would swear on a stack of Bibles (I'm Christian), that those numbers I quoted were the same numbers I viewed before I hit the pillow at about 1:00 this morning.  At that time, the survey question was in  respect to (Ret'd) General Rick Hillier and was overwhelmingly in support of  his well-deserved Leadership Award.

Admittedly, I'm suspicious because the original piece of contentious yellow journalism was tweaked and "screwed with" all weekend. And that I can prove; like Piper, I saved quite a lot of the crap (including the comments--most of which were very good--so if anyone wants them, I can send them out.)

But, what I can't believe is this: 98 individuals woke up early Sunday morning sometime between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m. and in rapid fire secession-- faster-than-a-speeding-bullet--posted responses to a totally different question. 

It's possible but unlikely.  And, I can't prove it because I did not save the survey results before I hit the pillow.

leroi: Small Dead Animals may have had something to do with it:
http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archives/010479.html

"Update - Jan 11, 2009
http://www.thecannon.ca/viewpoint_details.php?id=7725
- "The editorial written by Scott Gilbert and posted on The Cannon Friday, January 9 has been removed while The Cannon operating committee investigates its appropriateness."

They have a new poll up, and this one's even better!"
http://www.thecannon.ca/index.php

A blogger's influence?

Mark
Ottawa

Well done all who twisted arms, one way or another!

For the sake of posterity, attached find Google Cache version of the original in .pdf and some comments, as well as the .pdf of the "oopsie" posted today.

Back