• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Eagle River Bridge

Rodahn

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is going to be any type of ceremony to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the bridge build?

Chimo

I doubt there are more than 20-30 people still in who remember it.  two years before my time, but the pictures were still everywhere at the Regiment when I got there.

it's ironic isn't it that the news media says so little was done in the north for decades when there were such things as this bridge build, the establishment of the DEW line sites, northern airfields,  Alert, Resolute and the entire mapping to 50000 scale - I'd say a lot was done...

Kat Stevens said:
I doubt there are more than 20-30 people still in who remember it.  two years before my time, but the pictures were still everywhere at the Regiment when I got there.

Okay I admit it, I'm "Older"  ;D I was on the build itself.

Bernie owns a bike shop in Fernie... Hey, I'm a  poet!

I can't remember Bernie being in Eagle Troop, but then again that was 30 years ago, and my memory is fading somewhat.....

The Eagle River Bridge was a first in bridging.
Why?
The river ice with pumping of water below the bridge and letting it freeze created a stable and strong base to build the bridge.

Right Jeff

1CER usedtobe said:
Was Bernie Fox on that build.........anyone heard from him or about him?

Bernie Fox,the last time I met him was in Dundurn in 95 doing pre selection for Bosnia.
He was roads and grounds now Kat say's he is in Fernie.

Spr.Earl said:
The Eagle River Bridge was a first in bridging.
Why?
The river ice with pumping of water below the bridge and letting it freeze created a stable and strong base to build the bridge.

Right Jeff

Absolutely, and then having the hole cut in the ice to check it's thickness on a daily basis. We actually had to build the ice up to five feet thick to support the piers and weight of the steel. (Complete with a member falling into the hole)

Rodahn said:
Does anybody know if there is going to be any type of ceremony to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the bridge build?

Chimo

The Eagle River Build was the first time where using ice and pumping water on the ice to support the build  bridge.

Jeff you mean Al buck Sapper in a broom ball game on the river?
Is it true?

Spr.Earl said:
Jeff you mean Al buck Sapper in a broom ball game on the river?
Is it true?

Huh????????????????????????????????????? Nick, I just don't understand.....

Jeff

Back