• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don Cherry Supports the troops! - MERGED THREAD

I like recognition like that,  For example wasnt Rick Mercer made a honorary Col of some branch?

Hat's off to the P's good choice

KingKikapu said:
Too Xenaphobic for my blood.

Fear the Warrior Princess...

2004962874926370446_rs.jpg

;D

helpup said:
I like recognition like that,  For example wasnt Rick Mercer made a honorary Col of some branch?

Close.  He is Honorary Colonel of 423 Maritime Helicopter Squadron at Shearwater.

An excelent choice in my opinion. Welcome to the Regiment Grapes.

helpup said:

He was made Honorary Colonel (or was it Lt. Col?) of one on the Maritime Helicpoter Squadrons.

Good on the PPCLI for recognizing such an enthusiastic booster of Canada's military!

He may not turn everybodies' crank, but you have to admit he tells it like it is and lets the chips fall where they may!

tango22a

tango22a said:
He may not turn everybodies' crank, but you have to admit he tells it like it is and lets the chips fall where they may!

tango22a

You have that right, I could say the same thing about most of the most competant people I have worked for or with.  I may not have always agreed with them. But I respected thier convictions and abilities.

I used to see Don at the new Lyndhurst Hospital. They specialize in the care of spinal cord injuries since 1945. He seemed very sincere and always shook our hands. As far as I know, he did it for free, and I do not recall ever seeing any media. The patients were almost all young guys and really enjoyed his visits. 

helpup said:

I'd love to see the Powers That Be make Mike Holmes an honourary Sapper.

dapaterson said:
Well, he does dress in an outlandish manner, unconstrained by what the book says...
:rofl:

In all seriousness, well done PPCLI!  I could not think of a more deserving citizen to made honourary member of one of Canada's finest regiments!

:salute:

.... according to the Kingston Whig-Standard:
"It's an honour. I said yes, for sure," said the Kingston native and host of Hockey Night in Canada's Coach's Corner. "This ranks as No. 1. You don't get a better honour, especially when it comes from the troops.  "That made me feel even better about it. Those are the guys in the trenches, those are the guys who really count."

And then there's this is the same article...

(Can't work the quote function so bear with me)

Cherry's selection as an honorary Patricia drew praise on military website forums.

"Good on the PPCLI for recognizing such an enthusiastic booster of Canada's military," said one posting. "An excellent choice in my opinion. Welcome to the regiment, Grapes," said another.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/05/08/13877006.html

Troops stitch camo jersey for Cherry
By Tara Brautigam, THE CANADIAN PRESS

Last Updated: May 8, 2010 12:14pm

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — Don Cherry doesn’t know it yet, but his well-known support for the Canadian Forces over the years has earned him a rare souvenir: a custom-made hockey jersey worn on the dusty battlefields of southern Afghanistan.

Capt. Steven Defer was as far from an ice rink as one can get when he decided to have a military fatigue-style jersey designed to express the army’s gratitude to a select few Canadians.

Last fall, while at a forward operating base in Sperwan Ghar west of Kandahar city, the padre was wrestling with ways to lift the spirits of battle-weary soldiers while recognizing the support the military receives back home.
“What I wanted to do was to come up with an idea that got our soldiers to think about our nation before they came home,” Defer said.

He was in a colleague’s room that was adorned with hockey jerseys, “kind of like pretty much every other den that any (hockey) fan has,” when he came up with the idea.
From across the growing expanse of Kandahar Airfield, Defer collected discarded scraps of camouflage netting — formerly used to cover windows, buildings and tents — and stuffed them into a garbage bag.

He hauled the bag to Neil Wall and Tommy Burke, two Canadian corporals who are as proficient with a needle and thread as they are with a C7 service rifle.

From Defer’s heap of fabric they created four beige and brown hockey jerseys, each with a maple leaf stitched on the chest. They mimic the fatigues Canadian Forces personnel wear in the desert terrain of Afghanistan.
For a five-week period from February to March, the jerseys were worn by soldiers in every company, squadron, battery, platoon and section within the Task Force 3-09 Battle Group’s area of operations in Kandahar province.

“They put them on in a way that met the needs of the chain of command and they draped them over their trucks as flags, stuff like that,” Defer said. One group even wore them while clearing a route of improvised explosive devices, he added.
“In a sense, these jerseys are our game jerseys.”

Defer canvassed members of the battle group to determine who should get a jersey. One name was unanimous.
“You couldn’t go to a section in this battle group and not have Don Cherry’s name mentioned,” Defer said.
Mixed-martial arts superstar Georges St-Pierre was also chosen because many soldiers admired his raw athletic ability, he said.
Apparently, his rugged build didn’t hurt either.

“Whenever you mention his name, it seems the ladies in the battle group, or many of them at least, seemed to have an affinity for that,” Defer said.
New Brunswick country musician Julian Austin, who has performed for troops stationed in Afghanistan, will also get a jersey. The remaining one will go to the Museum of the Regiments in Calgary.

The jerseys have been signed by high-ranking soldiers in the battle group. Defer said he has yet to notify Cherry, St-Pierre and Austin of their new keepsakes.

“I hope ... they appreciate how much the soldiers of this battle group wanted them to have these.”

I love GSP, he's my favorite fighter (along with Fedor) and one of my favorite Canadian icons.... but I've never heard of him being a "support our troops" advocate?

Glad to see Grapes get one for sure. He'll love it and I expect to hear about this on Coach's Corner tonight for sure.

Tonight on Coach's Corner, Don had a very nice mention, and the best Merry Christmas possible, to the wounded.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Tonight on Coach's Corner, Don had a very nice mention, and the best Merry Christmas possible, to the wounded.

He certainly did. My second favourite part of tonight's CC was where he denounced taking the Lord's name in vain, tore apart consumerism, and told us to remember what Christmas is supposed to be about; the birth of the Baby Jesus. God bless him. Wonder if anyone's gonna be writing angry letters about him trying to bring religion into hockey?  ;D

Back