• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don Cherry fired

QV said:
Curious to know if LGen (ret'd) Day had anything to say publically on SNC, VAdm Norman affair, or more relevant to this subject, the three blackface episodes by the PM.  Or has he limited his public commentary to only what a bigot Grapes is?  I honestly don't know.

I know Mike personally and he’s one up front tell it like it is guy.

I’m hoping this dies down soon. It’s a distraction from important things like government, infrastructure etc

QV said:
Curious to know if LGen (ret'd) Day had anything to say publically on SNC, VAdm Norman affair, or more relevant to this subject, the three blackface episodes by the PM.  Or has he limited his public commentary to only what a bigot Grapes is?  I honestly don't know.

I'm pretty sure he can limit his public statements to whatever he wants.

He's on twitter, a quick search will likely reveal what he has to say. 

Hamish Seggie said:
I know Mike personally and he’s one up front tell it like it is guy.

I’m hoping this dies down soon. It’s a distraction from important things like government, infrastructure etc

Based on what I've seen, and experienced it's only a distraction from the Trump circus down south.

Canadians (people in general) don't care about mundane things like infrastructure, and governance.

:facepalm: - as usual, the Charter says one is presumed innocent until proven guilty via due process ....
A man who shares the same name as the suspect arrested for spray painting the Old City Hall Cenotaph wrote a lengthy Facebook manifesto citing the emergence of ‘cancel culture’ and the firing of Don Cherry as the motives behind the vandalism.

On Friday, Toronto police announced that Thomas Christian Zaugg, 33, of Toronto, was arrested and is now facing two mischief-related charges. He made a brief court appearance on Friday, refusing legal counsel.

Police allege Zaugg spray-painted the words “Ye Broke Faith” and “With Us” on the cenotaph a day after Remembrance Day.

It was also the day after controversial hockey icon Don Cherry was fired by Sportsnet for seeming to suggest during his Coach’s Corner segment that new immigrants to Canada don’t wear poppies.

“You people …that come here … you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that,” Cherry said.

A man with the same name as the suspect in the cenotaph vandalism posted a lengthy message on Facebook, defending Cherry’s comments and saying the erosion of free speech in Canada led him to act.

CityNews has not been able to independently verify that it’s the same person ...
Toronto Police statement ...
Cenotaph vandalism investigation,
Bay Street and Queen Street West,
Update,
Thomas Zaugg, 33, arrested

Broadcast time: 09:11
Friday, November 15, 2019

52 Division
416-808-5200

Case #: 2019-2184146

The Toronto Police Service would like to inform the public of an arrest made in a mischief investigation.

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019, at approximately 7:20 a.m., officers launched an investigation into mischief to the cenotaph at Bay Street and Queen Street West.

See previous release.

Thomas Christian Zaugg, 33, of Toronto, has been arrested. He is charged with:

1) Mischief - Under ($5000)
2) Mischief - Interfere with Lawful Enjoyment of Property

He will appear on Friday, November 15, 2019, at Old City Hall, in courtroom 101, at 10 a.m.

More here.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/11/15/suspect-arrested-toronto-cenotaph-vandalism/

The Facebook manifesto also defends the use of vandalism to get his point across.

“They (soldiers) did not die for us to become this type of mentally straight jacketed society, unable to speak freely or share ones view. You people, the perpetually offended hyper-sensitive adult children, are ruining our society. And that’s why I spray painted the Cenotaph.”

What...the...heck?

I checked out his page. He’s clearly got some mental health issues. His particular fixation seems to be with some perceived extreme version of a culture war. Obviously he’s (allegedly) taken it to the extreme of vandalizing a cenotaph. The court has required him to have a mental health evaluation within seven days as part of his release.

[quote author=mariomike]

Personally,  I prefer sports pundits try to stick to sports, as much as possible, rather than politics.
[/quote]

Do you figure it was for political reasons  he visited Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan?

Say what you will, Don heart was in the right place for service members and veterans. I actually prefer people who say what they think, rather than what they think they should say. One thing my immigrant wife just hates about Canadians is that that rarely say what they are thinking, so you have no idea what they really think.
Don pointed out a reality, perhaps not as well as he could of. I know that there are several places I could have gone to here in the Lower Mainland where I would see almost zero poppies just prior to Nov. 11th. Now that we have successfully shot the messenger, are we going to forget the message? In my opinion the military does a pretty good job of reaching out to minorities in an effort to recruit them, so not to much blame there. I don't recall seeing any Legion stuff in any other language than English/French, so do they try to reach out to those groups, if not, why not? What does the Government of Canada do to educate those immigrants on our customs and what does Veteran Affairs Canada do to reach out to those groups that don't speak the official languages?   

Jarnhamar said:
Do you figure it was for political reasons  he visited Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan?

I was referring to the OP / Subject: Don Cherry Fired.

Brihard said:
I checked out his page. He’s clearly got some mental health issues. His particular fixation seems to be with some perceived extreme version of a culture war. Obviously he’s (allegedly) taken it to the extreme of vandalizing a cenotaph. The court has required him to have a mental health evaluation within seven days as part of his release.

I know a few people with MH issues. They don't complement that with 'deep disrespect' issues.

mariomike said:
I was referring to the OP / Subject: Don Cherry Fired.

Do you figure he's racist and made those comments because he doesn't like brown skinned people  or maybe just really adamant about our military and veterans?

mariomike said:
Personally,  I prefer sports pundits try to stick to sports, as much as possible, rather than politics.

Same goes for soldiers, and soldier stuff.

Colin P said:
... I don't recall seeing any Legion stuff in any other language than English/French, so do they try to reach out to those groups, if not, why not? What does the Government of Canada do to educate those immigrants on our customs and what does Veteran Affairs Canada do to reach out to those groups that don't speak the official languages? 
Good questions for concrete solutions right here.

Meanwhile ...
In the immediate aftermath of Don Cherry delivering his “you people…that come here” rant Saturday evening, many CBC employees were publicly circumspect.

After all, the public broadcaster had been chiefly responsible for cultivating the hockey commentator’s career, and continued to serve as the platform on which he could spout off on any subject, despite no longer controlling the program on which he appeared. Officially, he was Rogers’ problem, but CBC was still the home of Hockey Night in Canada.

And so initial reaction from network personalities tended to look something like this:

(see Sportsnet screen grab attached below)

A notable exception, however, was a missive from Ahmar Khan, a reporter at CBC Manitoba who was blunt about Cherry and the implications of his remarks:

(see Amar Khan screen grab attached)

“It [is] long due time for Don Cherry’s Coach’s Corner to be cancelled,” Khan tweeted late Saturday night. “His xenophobic comments being aired weekly are deplorable. You know why black and brown kids don’t enjoy hockey? Because of the deep-rooted racism, which we get to hear EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. on national TV.” The tweet included a clip of Cherry’s comments, as shared by another user who’d observed that Cherry was “being a POS.”

The tweet went viral, racking up over a thousand retweets and 4,500 likes. But by Sunday afternoon, it had disappeared.

The CBC confirms it had Khan remove it.

“We asked Ahmar Khan to take down a tweet about Don Cherry (and he agreed to) because it did not meet our Journalistic Standards and Practices with respect to social media guidelines,” spokesperson Chuck Thompson tells Canadaland in an email.

Asked which part(s) of the tweet fell short of their standards and just which of the guidelines it ran afoul of, Thompson points to a clause concerning “the expression of personal opinions on controversial subjects, including politics.” This, according to the guideline, “can undermine the credibility of CBC journalism and erode the trust of our audience. Therefore, we refrain from expressing such opinions in profiles or posts for any account which identifies or associates us with CBC/Radio-Canada.”

Khan declined to comment.

On Monday morning, his tweet was quoted by Joe Warmington in a Toronto Sun column, which identified him as a CBC reporter. Khan shared some of the hate mail that followed ...
More @ link

Attachments

• SportsnetPost.jpg
    SportsnetPost.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 94
  • AmarKhanTweet.jpg
    AmarKhanTweet.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 94
Jarnhamar said:
Do you figure he's racist < snip >

I've met him, but don't know him.

As far as keeping his job, or any employee who chooses to engage their freedom of speech,

milnews.ca said:
Cherry worked for a business -- you engage your freedom of speech, you may  face consequences with your employer - or maybe even future employers.

That goes to the Original Post. His employer made an HR decision.

daftandbarmy said:
Same goes for soldiers, and soldier stuff.

Freedom of speech - including on social media - can be a career killer.

don-cherry-vandal.jpg

Defacing a cenotaph in Toronto, and now a mural in Kingston.... I assume that the 31 Don Cherry's Sports Grills are up next.

Interesting, whether for or against his firing, there are some whose ability to express their thoughts is only spray paint deep.  :not-again:

mariomike said:
I've met him, but don't know him.
Never met him and never seen him speak longer than 15 seconds myself.

Freedom of speech - including on social media - can be a career killer.

Yea, you're right.

I think the amount of heat someone takes and whether they lose their job or not is dependent on a few factors.
Case in point Jessica Allen keeping her job.

For a nicely balanced view on all this, I turn to Hockey Hall-of-Famer Hayley Wickenheiser:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/video/hayley-wickenheiser-comments-don-cherry-003406877.html

Jarnhamar said:
I think the amount of heat someone takes and whether they lose their job or not is dependent on a few factors.

One being, when your partner backs you up,

When asked why he was disappointed, Cherry said, “because [MacLean] buried me.”
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/59n88b/don-cherry-blames-ron-maclean-for-burying-him-does-far-right-media

That's got to hurt.

mariomike said:
One being, when your partner backs you up,
Not exactly what I mean. Besides his partner did back him up. He sat by while Don said what he said and didn't disagree, even gave a thumbs up.

Here I'll show you what I mean.

What do you think the reaction would have been if Don Cherry said this?

I didn't worship at the altar of basketball. In my experience those who did all tended to be black boys who weren't, let's say, very nice..
They were not generally thoughtful, they were often bullies. Their parents were able to spend $5,000 a year on basketball— $5,000 is a lot of money.
You can do other things besides spending your time on the court; you can go on a trip and learn about the world, see other things, eh? The world is a big place, maybe get outside of that bubble.

How do you think talking about black boys would have went over?

Back