• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Domestic Terrorism/Public Attacks on CAF Personnel

I see what you did there...you provided obsolete data from 2008. Redeem yourself and provide something from at least 2yrs back

Harris said:
Actually it is closer to 2 in 5 as per Employment and Social Development Canada: http://well-being.esdc.gc.ca/misme-iowb/.3ndic.1t.4r@-eng.jsp?iid=76

See what I did there?  Disagreed with you and provided proof.  You should do the same sometime.

opcougar said:
Racism is driven by power with the majority. In the town you live in, how many minority cops / firefighters / EMS are there? Oh, lets not claim they aren't applying for these jobs. A minority in any of those jobs, will be driven out / segregated by the majority

That's ridiculous. Some of the worst bigots I know live on reservations, arguably the people with the least power in Canada.  Oh, right, forgot, only white males can be racist or sexist, everyone else just has pride.

Balanced "representation" is difficult to obtain.  Actively working to achieve it does not guarantee success.  Only conscription can guarantee success.

FWIW:

The Social Psychology of Radicalization and Extremism

Western Governments are increasingly concerned about the radicalization of young Muslims, and so they should be.  The UN has estimated that the number of foreign jihadists who have joined IS may be over 15,000. According to a British MP this may include as many as 2,000 Britons currently fighting in Syria and Iraq. On a recent visit to Jordan, Prince Charles called the UK radicalization figures “alarming” and one of the “greatest worries.” Similar words have been used by Governments in the US, France, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium. What is radicalization and how can it be prevented? Here are some useful insights from social psychology.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/naturally-selected/201502/the-social-psychology-radicalization-and-extremism?collection=1082225

daftandbarmy said:
FWIW:

The Social Psychology of Radicalization and Extremism

Western Governments are increasingly concerned about the radicalization of young Muslims, and so they should be.  The UN has estimated that the number of foreign jihadists who have joined IS may be over 15,000. According to a British MP this may include as many as 2,000 Britons currently fighting in Syria and Iraq. On a recent visit to Jordan, Prince Charles called the UK radicalization figures “alarming” and one of the “greatest worries.” Similar words have been used by Governments in the US, France, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium. What is radicalization and how can it be prevented? Here are some useful insights from social psychology.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/naturally-selected/201502/the-social-psychology-radicalization-and-extremism?collection=1082225

I wonder ...

Perhaps this, the 2,000 Britons, for example, just represents the fairly, historically, normal rate of the truly engaged: engaged with a cause in which they really, sincerely believe.

Almost two hundred years ago Lord Byron and other young Englishmen went to fight to liberate Greece from the Ottoman Turks ~ it was part of many young men's response to the (ongoing) European enlightenment. Maybe young people and causes, especially romantic, quixotic causes are natural fits.

According to the 2011 census there are 2.7 Million Muslims in the UK, maybe 2,000 going off to do odd things is not too much about which to worry.

Until they return, especially if they want to showcase their newly found skill sets.

To all; this is a developing news story, let's keep the speculation to a minimum.

BZ to the guys for stopping the perp in his tracks.  Speedy recovery to the wounded.

jollyjacktar said:
BZ to the guys for stopping the perp in his tracks.  Speedy recovery to the wounded.
Same here  :salute:

Speedy recovery to the injured, and BZ to the staff who prevented further injuries.

In case anyone didn't watch the video, Toronto Police Chief said details will be released in the morning WRT the suspect's name, and possible motivations. OPP, RCMP, CSIS are all assisting the investigation.

Another news report here:

http://www.cp24.com/police-investigating-motive-behind-unprovoked-attack-against-members-of-canadian-forces-1.2816854

This was the most satisfying part of the article:

The suspect is currently being held in custody in hospital

A speedy recovery to those hurt in the attack, and well done to those who stopped the attacker, repeatedly, and with force.  :salute:

Can just shake my head...good work to those that took the perp out and well wishes to the wounded.

MM

Speedy recovery to those injured and BZ to those who subdued this "gentleman"

:cdn: :salute:

The radio was reporting on the way in this morning, from a "source that was in a position to know" claims the Perp mentioned "Allah" during his encounter with the staff at the centre.

Man arrested after 2 Canadian Forces members stabbed at Toronto recruitment centre

Police Chief Mark Saunders praises group of soldiers who took down suspect.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/stabbing-arrest-1.3491413

Happy to add my kudos to the staff of the recruiting centre here.

I suppose it's a good thing that radicalization, if that is what is at issue, does not improve IQ. Walking  with a knife and intent to use it into a place that contains a large number of combat arms soldiers around the rank of sergeant is not exactly a recipe for success.

Again, well done to all, and speedy recovery to the injured.

Just a question out of curiosity. Who is conducting the investigation? MP, RCMP or TPS?

From what I read in the article, TPS has the lead, but other organizations (RCMP, CSIS, OPP, MPs) have been contacted as per protocol for suspected acts of terrorism.

Back