• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND halts millions in benefits

A little good news:

CANFORGEN 034/11 CMP 017/11 112039Z FEB 11
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS ADMINISTRATION - APPROVAL OF PMV STORAGE AND CUSTODIAL EXPENSE
UNCLASSIFIED
REF: CANFORGEN 032/11
1. FURTHER TO REF, ON 3 FEB 11, TB APPROVED THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS:
A. PMV STORAGE - EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND RETROACTIVE TO 1 JAN 06 CF MEMBERS ATTACH POSTED ON DEPLOYED OPERATIONS OR PROHIBITED POSTED OUTSIDE CANADA AND WHO ARE SUBJECT TO THE MILITARY FOREIGN SERVICE INSTRUCTIONS (MFSI) ARE ENTITLED TO CLAIM THE ACTUAL AND REASONABLE MONTHLY STORAGE COST, SUPPORTED BY RECEIPTS, FOR THE STORAGE OF ONE VEHICLE AT THE NEAREST COMMERCIAL STORAGE FACILITY. IN ADDITION, MEMBERS ARE ENTITLED TO BE REIMBURSED UP TO 200 DOLLARS, SUPPORTED BY RECEIPTS, TO PREPARE THE VEHICLE FOR ROAD WORTHINESS UPON REMOVAL FROM THE COMMERCIAL STORAGE FACILITY AND
B. CUSTODIAL EXPENSE - EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND RETROACTIVE TO 1 JAN 05, CF MEMBERS WHO ARE ATTACH POSTED ON DEPLOYED OPERATIONS OR PROHIBITED POSTED OUTSIDE CANADA AND SUBJECT TO THE MFSI ARE ENTITLED TO CLAIM THE ACTUAL AND REASONABLE MONTHLY EXPENSES FROM A COMMERCIAL FIRM ASSOCIATED WITH MAINTAINING A VACANT RESIDENCE UP TO 275 DOLLARS SUPPORTED BY RECEIPTS, IF THEY ARE:

(1) A CF MEMBER WITHOUT DEPENDANTS OR

(2) A CF MEMBER OF A SERVICE COUPLE WHEN THE OTHER MEMBER OF THE SERVICE COUPLE IS AWAY FROM THEIR MAIN RESIDENCE FOR SERVICE REASONS
2. DETAILED FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ) CONCERNING THESE BENEFITS CAN BE FOUND ON THE DCBA WEBSITE AT THE FOLLOWING LINK: HTTP://HR3.OTTAWA-HULL.MIL.CA/DGCB/DCBA/ENGRAPH/HOME UNDERSCORE E.ASP?SIDESECTION EQUAL SIGN 2 AND SIGN SIDECAT EQUAL SIGN 7
3. WE CONTINUE WORK WITH CENTRAL AGENCIES TO ACHIEVE NEAR TERM REGULARIZATION OF THE BENEFIT ISSUES RAISED AT REF
4. SIGNED BY RADM A. SMITH, CMP

Jim Seggie said:
Its a start. Lets hope it keeps going that way.

I'm impressed the TB moved that fast to approve the benefits. If only we could get that kind of speed with PWGSC procurements.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think DND/CF is the biggest employer in the Federal Government. This could become a PR nightmare if TB does not move quickly.

It's about to be a nightmare for us. Hubby is on IR in Ottawa, while I try to sell the house in Windsor. The IR payments have been keeping us afloat, while maintaining two residences. Without the rent and bills reimbursement, we are quickly going to go into major debt. The housing market here sucks so badly, that I can't sell the house without going upside down by about 10k, on a house appraised at 104k!

I hope this gets straightened out soon - we can't be the ONLY couple in this situation...

Jim Seggie said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think DND/CF is the biggest employer in the Federal Government. This could become a PR nightmare if TB does not move quickly.

The nightmare is in the fact that this went on for a number of years, and senior leadership (until now) took no action to correct it.  Christie Blatchford wrote a column on this in the Saturday Globe and Mail, calling for the CDS and VCDS to resign.  She never asked the question "Who was in charge when this was started?" since that would force her to confront one of her favourite soruces - and pointing out that Gen Hillier was the boss when this started to go down might hurt her relationship with him.

dapaterson said:
The nightmare is in the fact that this went on for a number of years, and senior leadership (until now) took no action to correct it.  Christie Blatchford wrote a column on this in the Saturday Globe and Mail, calling for the CDS and VCDS to resign.  She never asked the question "Who was in charge when this was started?" since that would force her to confront one of her favourite soruces - and pointing out that Gen Hillier was the boss when this started to go down might hurt her relationship with him.

I haven't read that column, but the CDS should not resign, IMO. Agree with your assessment I do (Yoda speak)

This is all a bit confusing...So am I to take it that IR postings are no more ?

Halifax Tar said:
This is all a bit confusing...So am I to take it that IR postings are no more ?

No IR is a choice by the member not to move their DHG&E.  There are some changes to the payment of Separation Allowance.

agc said:
No IR is a choice by the member not to move their DHG&E.  There are some changes to the payment of Separation Allowance.

Roge! Thanks!

agc said:

It is an option vice a choice.  Until the CANFORGEN, the authority to extend IR benefits rested with Career Managers.  The CANFORGEN reverted that authority to Base Commanders.  As near as I can tell, policy on how that is to be processed and paid for has yet to be promulgated.  If I was a betting man, I think we will see a reduction in the number of IRs that are approved in the coming APS's.

Jim Seggie said:
I haven't read that column, but the CDS should not resign, IMO. Agree with your assessment I do (Yoda speak)
Again, a member of the media has no grasp on the "CF way". We DO NOT deflect responsibility Ms. Blatchford-quite the opposite; we accept and share it. As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread-Anyone with any supervisory responsibilities is partly to blame for this as we ALL let it go. I started living by an adage about 12-15 years ago--Though I take direction from superiors, I "work" for my subordinates. This will get resolved and life will go on...unless, by Ms. Blatchford's thinking, everyone in the CF above the rank of Cpl/LS resigns because of this!

agc said:

I don't think that's an accurate description of all IR cases. My husband was on TR, then recently put on IR (TR can last only 6 months or something?). His posting was originally restricted until he found a place to stay. Now we're trying to sell the house. It's not just Separation Allowance that's being held, I think. Unless it's technically separation allowance that is covering his rent and utilities until I CAN sell the house and move. In our case, it's not that it's our CHOICE not to move DHG&E - we are UNABLE to move it until the house sells.

acooper said:
I don't think that's an accurate description of all IR cases. My husband was on TR, then recently put on IR (TR can last only 6 months or something?). His posting was originally restricted until he found a place to stay. Now we're trying to sell the house. It's not just Separation Allowance that's being held, I think. Unless it's technically separation allowance that is covering his rent and utilities until I CAN sell the house and move. In our case, it's not that it's our CHOICE not to move DHG&E - we are UNABLE to move it until the house sells.

His T restriction was put in place until he found a place to stay.

He then found a place, but has now chosen to go the IR route until you sell your house. He can move you anytime, but is choosing to wait until the house sells ... there are other options: rent it out etc. That's the difference with IR - it is occuring because he made a personal choice - whether it be to rent out the other house and move you immediately or leave you behind until it sold ... his choice not to move his DHG&E at this time.

Unlike MSCs (married service couples) where there is NO choice. The CF posts one somewhere and posts the other somewhere else ... 100% not a choice "opted for" by either of those members; absolutely unlike your present situation. I know of a MSC who has one posted to one location, the other to a second location ... who can not sell their house at the 3rd location where they were posted from ~ they chose to rent it out in the meantime to save themselves one set of bills. Had they not done that, one of them would collect SE and they would still have 2 entire sets of bills to pay (one for the house they can't sell and one for the location where the non-SE collector is posted to).

PPCLI Guy said:
It is an option vice a choice.  Until the CANFORGEN, the authority to extend IR benefits rested with Career Managers.  The CANFORGEN reverted that authority to Base Commanders.  As near as I can tell, policy on how that is to be processed and paid for has yet to be promulgated.  If I was a betting man, I think we will see a reduction in the number of IRs that are approved in the coming APS's.

I have heard of a new canforgen (which I could not find) that gives the approving authority for IR extension requests back to the Career Managers. If so can anyone post it here?

Thanks,

ArmyVern - I see in a certain sense where you are coming from, but it's not really a matter of personal choice in our case. From what I'm understanding of relocation policy, moving DHG&E will not be covered until the house is sold. It's not covered if we choose to rent out the house either. My husband joined the RegF, in part, to have a job that will actually pay him year round w/o layoffs. We aren't in a financial position to move DHG&E ourselves. Otherwise, let me tell you, I'd have been in Ottawa for months.

In any case, yes, some stuff is starting to get paid again. I'll see if he can get his hands on the CANFORGEN for reposting...

CANFORGEN 032/11 states in part in para 2A:

THE AUTHORITY FOR IR RESTS WITH THE LOCAL BASE/WING COMMANDER AND NOT THE CAREER MANAGERS

acooper said:
ArmyVern - I see in a certain sense where you are coming from, but it's not really a matter of personal choice in our case. From what I'm understanding of relocation policy, moving DHG&E will not be covered until the house is sold. It's not covered if we choose to rent out the house either. My husband joined the RegF, in part, to have a job that will actually pay him year round w/o layoffs. We aren't in a financial position to move DHG&E ourselves. Otherwise, let me tell you, I'd have been in Ottawa for months.

In any case, yes, some stuff is starting to get paid again. I'll see if he can get his hands on the CANFORGEN for reposting...

Not quite.  If you and your husband decide to move your DHG&E, you can do that at anytime (provided you have a place to move it to) and the CF will pay for it.  Whether you have sold your house at origin (i.e the place you're coming from) is irrelevant.  Having said that, what happens with the house you haven't sold is an entirely different and separate matter.  If you choose to leave it empty and on the market, there are some benefits to help you cover the costs of doing that.  If you decide to rent it out, there is very little the CF will do to cover the expenses of doing that.  In short, your husband being on IR is a personal choice.  The fact that you feel you can't afford the alternative, does not negate the choice, it just makes it impractical.

acooper said:
From what I'm understanding of relocation policy, moving DHG&E will not be covered until the house is sold. It's not covered if we choose to rent out the house either.

You are incorrect.

Due to the nearly dead housing market at my current location, i am planing on renting my place out when i get posted this summer. The move of my HG&E is covered. There are in fact, provisions for benefits in the relocation policy if the member chooses not to sell his/her residence at origin.

With the exception of married service couples, going on IR is always a personal choice.

Back