• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND halts millions in benefits

VD - the way I read it, the furniture rental is an issue only if the member is on TD or AT:

2. UNTIL THIS SITUATION IS CLARIFIED, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY PAYMENTS
OF BENEFITS SHALL BE ADMINISTERED IAW EXISTING APPLICABLE TB APPROVED
POLICIES AS INDICATED BELOW:
A. SEPARATION EXPENSE: IAW COMPENSATION AND BENEFIT INSTRUCTIONS
(CBI) 209.997, THIS BENEFIT IS ONLY APPLICABLE TO REGULAR FORCE AND
RESERVE FORCE ON CLASS C SERVICE. THIS WILL AFFECT APPROXIMATELY 1500
REGULAR FORCE AND CLASS C RESERVISTS WHO WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CLAIM
FOR FURNITURE RENTAL, CONNECTION FEES, LEASE LIABILITIES AND INTERIM
LODGING AND MEALS (ON RETURN FROM ATTACHED POSTING OR EXTENDED TD).

George Wallace said:
It is all in the details.  Were you "Attach Posted" or only on "TD"?  What does your msg say?

We are attached posted while working up for deployment on International Operations, but collect TD benefits (or did).

Same sit as me.

Strike

I noticed that as well and was unsure if the caveat applied to the entire paragraph, or only the last item in the sentence.  Based on the fact that 1500 people were impacted I believed it to be the last item only (Lease liabilities and IL and M).  I've taken another look at the CANFORGEN as well as the CBI and now I am unsure what applies.

Strike said:
VD - the way I read it, the furniture rental is an issue only if the member is on TD or AT

I expect further nifo will follow (probably another CANFORGEN); my read of the current CANFORGEN is that it's IL&M not permitted on return; furniture rental and connection fees aren't ever supported.

But I guess we'll see as further direction comes out.

PMedMoe said:
Anyone who is making money on IR is living like a pauper or committing fraud, IMHO.  Only a percentage of the meal rate is covered, rent is returned dollar for dollar and you get separation pay.  Now, if you were unlucky enough not to get long distance, cable (or satellite TV) and internet in your rent, you're paying for those, along with what you're already paying for at your primary place of residence.  Also, if you're far anough away, you only get one (potentially) paid trip home per year.  If you're too close, you get zilch. 
I won't even get into wear and tear on my vehicle or paid vs. free parking at work, depending on location.

:+1:  Thanks Moe.

A further CANFORGEN already.

Of interest to those attached posted; although TD benefits have ceased effective immediately, this later CANFORGEN from today identifies the entitlement to Seperation Expense at the low rate - $13.00 per diem - (the very same rate as the TD was / 75% of the incidental rate).

http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2011/024-11_e.asp

CANFORGEN 024/11 CMP 011/11 021723Z FEB 11
COMPENSATION AND BENEFIT ADMINISTRATION
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. CANFORGEN 022/11
B. NDA SECT 35
C. DOMESTIC BENEFIT AIDE MEMOIRE

FURTHER TO THE CANFORGEN ISSUED AT REF A, THE FOLLOWING DIRECTION IS PROVIDED TO ALL CF ESTABLISHMENTS TO ASSIST IN ADMINISTERING THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS

SEPARATION EXPENSE (SE) – IAW CBI 209.997

CLASS B RESERVISTS - THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT TO SE FOR CLASS B RESERVES

RATIONS AND QUARTERS

(1) IF RATIONS AND QUARTERS ARE AVAILABLE, AS DETERMINED BY THE BASE/WING COMMANDER, THEY SHALL BE UTILIZED. A MEMBER OCCUPYING QUARTERS IS ENTITLED TO RECEIVE RATIONS AND QUARTERS AT PUBLIC EXPENSE

(2) LOW RATE OF SE, AT A DAILY RATE OF 75 PERCENT OF THE INCIDENTAL EXPENSE ALLOWANCE AS PRESCRIBED BY THE NJC TRAVEL DIRECTIVE

COMMERCIAL LODGING

(1) COMMERCIAL LODGING MEANS FURNISHED ACCOMMODATION SUCH AS HOTELS, MOTELS OR CORPORATE APARTMENTS/RESIDENCES THAT IS AVAILABLE AT WEEKLY OR MONTHLY RATES THAT PROVIDE SLEEPING, MEAL PREPARATION, AND REFRIGERATION FACILITIES

(2) ACCOMMODATION RATES WILL BE PROMULGATED UNDER SEPARATE COVER

(3) A MEMBER IS ENTITLED TO THE HIGH RATE OF SE, EQUAL TO 35 PERCENT OF THE DAILY COMPOSITE ALLOWANCE (CURRENTLY 29.82 DOLLARS DAILY), AND

(4) A MEMBER IS ENTITLED TO REIMBURSEMENT OF MONTHLY PARKING CHARGES THAT ARE INCURRED

NON COMMERCIAL LODGING

(1) NON COMMERCIAL LODGING MEANS A FURNISHED OR UNFURNISHED PRIVATE APARTMENT THAT IS NOT OWNED BY THE MEMBER OR BY ANYONE THAT THE MEMBER IS RELATED TO BY BLOOD OR MARRIAGE

(2) ACCOMMODATION RATES WILL BE PROMULGATED UNDER SEPARATE COVER

(3) A MEMBER IS ENTITLED TO THE HIGH RATE OF SE, EQUAL TO 35 PERCENT OF THE DAILY COMPOSITE ALLOWANCE (CURRENTLY 29.82 DOLLARS DAILY), AND

(4) A MEMBER IS ENTITLED TO REIMBURSEMENT OF MONTHLY PARKING CHARGES THAT ARE INCURRED

FURNITURE RENTAL - THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT TO FURNITURE RENTAL

SERVICE CONNECTIONS - THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT FOR BASIC PHONE, TV AND INTERNET

LEASE LIABILITY - THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT TO LEASE LIABILITY

INTERIM LODGINGS AND MEALS AND MISCELLANEOUS (ILM AND M) - THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT TO ILM AND M ON RETURN FROM ATTACH POSTING OR EXTENDED TD, AND

SERVICE COUPLE - THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT TO SE FOR A SERVICE COUPLE MARRIED OR COMMON LAW AFTER CHANGE OF STRENGTH DATE

TRANSPORTATION ON LEAVE (LEAVE TRAVEL ASSISTANCE (LTA)) – IAW CBI 209.50

MEMBERS WITH DEPENDANTS ARE ENTITLED TO LTA TO RETURN HOME TO THEIR NOK WHEN THEY ARE AWAY FROM THEIR PLACE OF DUTY FOR MORE THAN 60 DAYS FOR SERVICE REASONS

THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO HAVE SERVED A MINIMUM OF 90 DAYS IN THE CF IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR LTA

THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT TO THIRD LOCATION LTA

THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT TO REVERSE LTA

WHEN THE LOCATION OF THE LTA IS OUTSIDE CANADA, ONLY THE PORTION OF THE JOURNEY ACTUALLY MADE IN CANADA OR BETWEEN CANADIAN POINTS MAY BE REIMBURSED

STORAGE OF PMV – IAW CBI 209.834

THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT TO ANY EXPENSES RELATED TO THE STORAGE OF A PMV WHILE ATTACHED POSTED OUTSIDE CANADA, AND

FOR A MEMBER PROHIBITED POSTED, THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT TO BE REIMBURSED EXPENSES THAT ARE REQUIRED TO RESTORE THE VEHICLE TO ROAD WORTHINESS

POSTING ALLOWANCE - IAW CBI 205.42 THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT TO POSTING ALLOWANCE WHEN POSTED FROM OUTCAN OR AN ISOLATED POST FOR RELEASE PURPOSES

NOK TRAVEL - IAW CBI 209.993, 209.9931 AND CBI 210.225 THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND THE ENTITLEMENTS DETAILED IN THE CBI SHALL BE ADHERED TO

COMPASSIONATE TRAVEL ASSISTANCE (CTA) – IAW CBI 209.51 MEMBERS OF THE RESERVE FORCE SERVING ON A PERIOD OF CLASS B OR C SERVICE MUST HAVE BEEN AUTHORIZED TO MOVE HG AND E IN RESPECT OF THAT PERIOD OF SERVICE IN ORDER TO BE ELEGIBLE FOR CTA

THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS, WHICH ARE CURRENTLY BEING ADMINISTERED IAW REF C WITHOUT EXPENDITURE AUTHORITY SHALL CEASE IMMEDIATELY:

TD BENEFITS, FOR HONORARY APPOINTMENTS AND RANKS

CUSTODIAL EXPENSE, AND

TD BENEFITS, FOR ALL THOSE ATTACH POSTED IN CANADA. MEMBERS ON ATTACHED POSTING ARE ONLY ENTITLED TO REIMBURSEMENT OF EXPENDITURES WHILE PROCEEDING TO AND FROM THE ATTACHED POSTING LOCATION

AT THIS TIME, CF ESTABLISHMENTS ARE NOT TO RECOVER ANY ADVANCES ALREADY ISSUED. FURTHER ADMINISTRATIVE DIRECTION REGARDING THESE ADVANCES WILL BE PROVIDED ONCE AUTHORITIES HAVE BEEN OBTAINED

ALL RELEVANT CBI CAN BE FOUND ON THE DCBA WEBSITE AT THE FOL LINK: HTTP://HR.OTTAWA-HULL.MIL.CA/DGCB/CBI/ENGRAPH/HOME UNDERLINE E.ASP

C. REIMBURSEMENT FOR STORAGE OF PERSONAL MOTOR VEHICLE (PMV): IAW CBI
209.834, ALL PERS ON ATTACHED POSTING OUTSIDE CANADA WILL NO LONGER
BE ABLE TO CLAIM THIS BENEFIT,

Does this currently apply to those serving or served in Afghanistan?

I wonder if any cuts will be made to MP's luxurious and generous benefits, while they sit comfortably at home watching our soldiers fight for them on CBC

Sigger said:
I wonder if any cuts will be made to MP's luxurious and generous benefits, while they sit comfortably at home watching our soldiers fight for them on CBC

I dont think you understand what happenned here.......

Sigger said:

This is an utterly unwarranted attack on MPs.

If you have followed the bouncing ball on this one, the VCDS was quite clear that DND/CF overstepped their authorities and never sought approval of some benefits.  In other words, MPs (or, more properly, the Treasury Board) was never asked to approve these things.  To complain about them not doing something they were never asked to do is absurd.

I have heard no MPs complain about benefits to CF members.  I have heard none call for benefits to be reduced.  I ahve seen the VCDS come out in public, acknowledge that bounds were overstepped, and explain that approval will now be sought.

The problem here is internal to DND/CF - folks leaned way forward and then forgot to do the necessary follow up.  Lots of good intentions, but not the best execution.

There was never an attack on MP's.. My point is just that the CF works damn hard, and deserves these benefits. Approved or not.

Sigger said:
Approved or not.

Yeah, we love it when money gets spent without proper authority to do so, right ?

Thats good government, right ?

::)

Sigger said:
There was never an attack on MP's.. My point is just that the CF works damn hard, and deserves these benefits. Approved or not.

"deserves" (a matter of opinion) does not equate to "are lawfully in receipt of". We get the benefits that the federal government decides we are entitled to, through the TB. The money we get in benefits is all taken first from taxpayers or incurred as debt by the government. DND owes it to the public to ensure that money is spent only as approved.

I am completely aware of all the corrections made towards my post, and agree with them. I made a comment out of frustration, and indignation.
Carry on.

Why can't CBC report our member's comments about how we are happy to potentially (most likely?) lose a bunch of benefits in the name of good government?

Unfortunately I fear that member's of the public think this is your every day CF member just screwing the system repeatidly for personal gain and they all got caught. I fear that because I was confronted by someone who thought that was the case. :-\

ballz said:
Why can't CBC report our member's comments about how we are happy to potentially (most likely?) lose a bunch of benefits in the name of good government?

Unfortunately I fear that member's of the public think this is your every day CF member just screwing the system repeatidly for personal gain and they all got caught. I fear that because I was confronted by someone who thought that was the case. :-\

Well then, that person has a hate-on for all things military.

The general public tends to be very pro-money to the military whenever it has an impact on a CF member directly.

I read several comments on a website WRT the civilian population. I think the vast majority are behind the CF. Only one person complained about families being flown to Trenton for the repat ceremonies. He was set upon by many others, so I left it alone.

Strike said:
Well then, that person has a hate-on for all things military.

The general public tends to be very pro-money to the military whenever it has an impact on a CF member directly.

I think he was more under a misconception... whether due to his own negligence to assume things from headlines, or whether he read it wrong, or whatever it was....

Because he doesn't have a hate-boner for the military, and when I corrected him on his misconception he conceded he must be misinformed.

That said, my fear was based on the fact that a lot of people don't exactly look into things before they start painting their own pictures... I did go to CBC to view some comments and I didn't see very many anti-military comments in there, so that's good, and I'm glad others aren't encountering what I did.

Back