• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Discussing Military Quotes.

Stumbled across a new favourite. 

Knowledge, wisdom, and money, are only valuable unless you are willing to share them - Kingston Cabbie

Added to my signature.

Quote #1488

The answer "its too hard" is never acceptable.
- Jum Seggie

I'm sure Mr Seggie would prefer his name to be spelled Jim.  :nod:

That was my own fault.
Sythen said:
Quote #1488

The answer "its too hard" is never acceptable.
- Jum Seggie

I'm sure Mr Seggie would prefer his name to be spelled Jim.  :nod:

Here is another one:

"The Army can have top notch equipment but will fail if the Army does not have top notch people, top notch leaders and and top notch thinkers."

Jim Seggie said:
That was my own fault.
Here is another one:

"The Army can have top notch equipment but will fail if the Army does not have top notch people, top notch leaders and and top notch thinkers."

Is that an argument for larger, more educated, and overranked HQ's?  :)

Sounds like we need tall notch makers more than anything.  You know, to carve all those top notches we need.    ;D

GnyHwy said:
The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis.
- From a post-war debriefing of a German General

The couple dozen times I have heard this quote throughout my career, it has always been Canadian Army.

Does this mean I have been lied to my entire career?

There's about six variations floating around, attributed either to germans or russians. Everyone wants to own this one.

GnyHwy said:
Is that an argument for larger, more educated cumbersome, and overranked HQ's?  :)

There, fixed that for you.  :cheers:

Mil philosophy at its best.

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
- Sun Tzu

I know it's not military, but it seems very fitting.  Doctor Who quote.

"Let us be clear about three facts: First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." Field Marshal Earl Wavell

"I love the infantry because they are the underdogs. They are the mud-rain-frost-and-wind boys. They have no comforts, and they even learn to live without the necessities. And in the end they are the guys that wars can't be won without."Ernie Pyle

"I'm convinced that the infantry is the group in the army which gives more and gets less than anybody else."Bill Mauldin, Up Front (1945)

"Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime. Ask the infantry and ask the dead." Ernest Hemingway

"The infantry doesn't change. We're the only arm  where the weapon is the man himself." C.T. Shortis

"Ah, yes, mere infantry — poor beggars…" Plautus

"The army's infantry is its most essential component. Even today, no army can take and hold any ground without the use of infantry." George Nafziger

"The infantry is there so that when some die the generals know where to direct the artillery fire" (anonymous Japanese soldier, Iwo Jima)

'"Aerial bombardment can obliterate, but only infantry can occupy" - a Finnish Army observation of the Operation Allied Force in the 1990s

“I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.” - the Duke of Wellington

"Victory is still measured by foot" - The Indian Army

“I don’t know why we have the Air Force and Navy. It's always up to the bloody infantry to get the job done." - Australian Soldier At Tobruk.

http://www.academicroom.com/topics/what-is-infantry

Military Quote #29

To throw bombs from an airplane will do as much damage as throwing bags of flour. It will be my pleasure to stand on the bridge of any ship while it is attacked by airplanes.
- Newton Baker, US minister of defense (1921)

Somehow I doubt that he gave it a try.  ::)

Added this one.  Saw it on Facebook and liked it.  They had it quoted wrong of course.  They had it as Sensei Ueshiba's quote. 

Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win. - Zhuge Liang

We cannot enter into alliances until we are acquainted with the designs of our neighbors.
- Sun Tzu

This should 1 Can Div's motto, and they should hang this on their entrance as proof for their existence.

In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them.
- Sun Tzu

Another Sun Tzu.  This one seems quite counter to the way we are going, with an all informed network.  What I have read about him is that he wouldn't even tell his Comds the plan until short time before execution.  Perhaps things were simpler then, when there was very few types of movement and signals were fire and horseback, but nonetheless, a differnet approach to IM. 

This would help with our bandwidth problem.  :nod:

I wonder who is right?

Back