• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Discussing Military Quotes.

GnyHwy said:
I'll throw one out for ultimate scrutiny.  This one is my own.  Topic "Definition of Leadership".

The ability to order and convince with an action or statement. - GnyHwy

One tongue in cheek definition of diplomacy is: "The ability to tell someone to 'go to hell' and make him look forward to the trip." You might want to consider something similar for leadership ~ something like the ability to tell people to go into hell, itself, and make them so so, willingly.

GnyHwy said:
"It is your attitude, and the suspicion that you are maturing the boldest designs against him, that imposes on your enemy."
- Frederick the Great

That's actually from Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

ModlrMike said:
That's actually from Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

If that is true, then it needs to be corrected on this website.  I cut and pasted it from military quotes window.  Or did Fred rip off Sun Tzu?

Quote #221 of 1492:
Natural hazards, however formidable, are inherently less dangerous and less uncertain than fighting hazards. All ocnditions are more calculable, all obstacles more surmountable than those of human resistance.
- Sir Basil H. Liddel-Hart

Typo in this quote if an admin could give it some lovin! And in regards to that discussion about the other quote, google only showed it attributed to Frederick the Great.. Though admittedly I only looked at the first search results page  :camo:

Military Quote
Quote #26 of 1492:
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. "I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Did someone actually ever say this, or do people use google translate to make things they think are funny? I find it several times on google, but no one to attribute it too..

Yet another quote that I would love to see a mod take care of.. Doesn't even make sense..

Military Quote
Quote #1400 of 1492:
Life as a soldier is as good as the dirt they walk on for they will be joining it.
- Cdt.L of the 28 service battalion

Sythen said:
Yet another quote that I would love to see a mod take care of.. Doesn't even make sense..

Actually it - "Life as a soldier is as good as the dirt they walk on for they will be joining it."- is not a bad idea, despite an obvious grammatical problem.

It makes more sense if one says something like "A soldier's life is worth as much as the soil upon which he marches and in which he will be buried." That can mean that a soldier's life is worth dirt, and some would agree; it could also mean that each soldier's life is as precious as "our home and native land," and while he may have to die defending it, we will always value his sacrifice as much as we value our country.

Here's another (and it's a gooder too) that needs some editting... I'm far from the grammar police but this one is pretty far off from grammatically correct.

Quote #1194 of 1491:
Comradeship When a soldier was injured and coulden't get back to safety, his buddy went out to get him against his officer's orders. He returned mortally wounded and his friend whom he had carried back was dead. The officer was angry "I told you not to go " he said, now I've lost both of you it wasn't worth it. The dying man replied "but it was sir, because when I got to him, he said Jim I knew you'd come.

Should be closer to:

Comradeship
When a soldier was injured and couldn't get back to safety, his buddy went out to get him against an officer's orders. He returned mortally wounded and his friend whom he had carried back was dead. The officer was angry; "I told you not to go," he said, "now I've lost both of you it wasn't worth it." The dying man replied, "but it was Sir, because when I got to him, he said 'Jim I knew you'd come.'"

ballz said:
far off from grammatically correct.

It is not always about being grammatically correct. It should be about being correct, as the person being quoted said/wrote it. I did not look into the one you are talking about but if you change what someone said, it is no longer a quote.

If you're looking for grammatically correct quotes, then George W. Bush will remain silent to future generations.  On the other hand, mayby that's not such a bad thing...

Quote #1390 of 1491:
First you have good friends, then friends, aquaintances and then enemies...
- Kyle

Who is this guy, and why is this a good quote? btw if anyone disagrees with my "hating" on certain quotes, then please by all means I am no expert.. I just post ones I think are not worthy to be quotables.. (as if anyone actually needs my permission, I just seem to be the only one posting ones that I believe should be removed)

CDN Aviator said:
It is not always about being grammatically correct. It should be about being correct, as the person being quoted said/wrote it. I did not look into the one you are talking about but if you change what someone said, it is no longer a quote.

Your point is certainly correct, but I am glad you mentioned that you hadn't looked at the one I was talking about, because your point isn't relevant to it at all. All I did was correct piss-poor typing.

Sythen said:
Who is this guy, and why is this a good quote? btw if anyone disagrees with my "hating" on certain quotes, then please by all means I am no expert.. I just post ones I think are not worthy to be quotables.. (as if anyone actually needs my permission, I just seem to be the only one posting ones that I believe should be removed)

I am also bothered by the all too frequent nonsense that various numbnuts have added to the quotes section.  A couple of years ago I made my own attempt to roll back some of the crap that confronts me when I open the home page. What makes a quotation quotable?  Thus far, I agree with your selections for editing/deletion.

Here is a nomination for the refuse bin.
Quote #1163 of 1491:

SLs may lead the way, but SIs can shoot a bearing and get there faster.
- Flying Spirit

Huh?  What are “SLs” and “SIs” and who the f* is this idiot “Flying Spirit”?  I suspect that the attribution refers to someone who made a brief appearance on these means several years ago (while no longer listed as a member, there is lingering evidence of his former presence such as this post).  Likely enamoured with seeing his own user name and since no one would spontaneuosly think his thoughts either original or substantive enough to quote took it upon himself to add to the dross.

It appears that the search quotes function is a no longer, but I did find one other quote attributed to “Flying Spirit” (it was easy since it was the next in sequence).  This one I do not find as objectionable, except for the attribution.

Quote #1164 of 1491:

One man, one kit.
- Flying Spirit

Since it is unlikely that Flying Spirit was the first to say this (or was even in the first one million to repeat it), the attribution should be changed to something along the lines of  “a commonly repeated Canadian military aphorism (saying) of unknown origin”.

Some of my favorites come form the Shakespeares Henry V.  Althought they are not actual quotes form historical figures, I find that the play has a lot to say about war, for examble:

In answear to a French demande for English surrender when the English are out-numbered 5 to 1 and much of the English army are sick
"The sum of all our answer is but this:
We would not seek a battle, as we are;
Nor, as we are, we say we will not shun it:"

and of course The St. Chrispins Day Speech, which was mentioned eariler but here is the whole speech:

"What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin:
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires:
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England:
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more, methinks, would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made
And crowns for convoy put into his purse:
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

The check and balance to letting people submit quotes is that others can also nominate them for deletion because, a. they're stupid, or b. because they are inaccurate.

Thank to those who identify the ones that need to go away.

Journeyman said:
The quotes, or the site members who post them?  :whistle:

If we did that and sent away everyone on your personal hit list, you'd be reduced to making sarcastic replies to yourself.    ;D

Back