• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Discussing Military Quotes.

frank1515 said:
This next quote has been my favorite for a while.

"Never was so much owed, by so many, to so few."

-Sir Winston Churchill

Talking about the the pilots who won the Battle of Britain, which was also a turning point in the War.

That is not what Churchill said. For it to be a quote, it would have to be accurate. He said :

Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed, by so many, to so few

CDN Aviator said:
That is not what Churchill said. For it to be a quote, it would have to be accurate. He said :

However the name of the actual speech was the original quote, the "name" also became a slogan to British forces.. I remember learning and having to study his speeches in history last year. Fun. fun. fun.

IE; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Never_was_so_much_owed_by_so_many_to_so_few.jpg

canada94 said:
However the name of the actual speech was the original quote, the "name" also became a slogan to British forces.. I remember learning and having to study his speeches in history last year. Fun. fun. fun.

IE; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Never_was_so_much_owed_by_so_many_to_so_few.jpg

Then it should be identified as the "name" of the speech and not the words of the speaker or, more appropriately, as the paraphrased words of Mr. Churchill on an RAF recruiting poster.  But, as I said above -
Blackadder1916 said:
. . . . . Churchill is probably as oft misquoted as Shakespeare.

Just because that iconic RAF poster paraphrased his words (most likely with his consent and to his delight - besides being an extraordinary orator, he also liked being the centre of attention) does not mean that future references to his words should continue the practice.  He left a rich legacy in the English language and the contraction of that heritage to a few advertising slogans diminishes it.

As for the "name of the speech", I'll continue to think of it simply as "The Few" (since it wasn't a titled presentation) in the same manner as The Chuchill Centre and Museum.
http://www.winstonchurchill.org/learn/speeches/quotations/famous-quotations-and-stories
"The Few"

"The gratitude of every home in our island, in our Empire, and indeed throughout the world, except in the abodes of the guilty, goes out to the British airmen who, undaunted by odds, unwearied in their constant challenge and mortal danger, are turning the tide of the world war by their prowess and by their devotion. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. "

—Tribute to the Royal Air Force, House of Commons, 20 August 1940. The Battle of Britain peaked a month later. Because of German bombing raids, Churchill said, Britain was "a whole nation fighting and suffering together." He had worked out the phrase about "The Few" in his mind as he visited the Fighter Command airfields in Southern England.

Sythen said:
Dunno if you mean this thread to be a place to complain about some of the "quotes" posted here, but this one annoys me to no end. Who the hell is Matt? And why is this particular piece worth quoting?

I personally would like to have a word with whomever submitted all those quotes from the Iraqi Foreign Minister or whatever.

On a better note,

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

and

"I had rather have a plain, russet-coated Captain, that knows what he fights for, and loves what he knows, than that which you call a Gentle-man and is nothing else." - Oliver Cromwell

Another quote I'd love see get some admin attention:

Military Quote
Quote #1497 of 1568:

He, who fights a war, dies fighting one.
- Pte.Makivirta

Simply terrible.

Sythen said:
Another quote I'd love see get some admin attention:

Military Quote
Quote #1497 of 1568:

He, who fights a war, dies fighting one.
- Pte.Makivirta

Simply terrible.

Done and gone.

12 O'clock High:
“He’s going to bust wide open. And he’s going to do it to himself, too. Why? Because he’s a first-rate guy. Because those are his boys and he’s thinking about them instead of missions. Over-identification with his men, I think that’s what they call it.”

From Here to Eternity:
"Maybe back in the days of the pioneers a man could go his own way, but today you got to play ball."

"Tough monkey. Guys like you end up in the stockade sooner or later. Some day you'll walk in; I'll be waiting. I'll show you a couple of things."

Bridge on the River Kwai ( to nurse ):
"You give me powders, pills, baths, injections, enemas; when all I need is love."

Stalag 17:
Commandant: "Curtains would do wonders for this barracks. You will not get them."

Commandant; "All right then, gentlemen, we are all friends again. And with Christmas coming on I have a special treat for you. I'll have you all deloused for the holidays and I'll have a little Christmas tree for every barrack. You will like that."

I've often wondered if Churchill was deliberately referencing Henry V  {by William Shakespeare or someone else of the same name}

" ... We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition ..."

One of my favourite movie quotes is from 1977's "Cross of Iron" staring James Coburn as Sgt. Steiner...

"What do I have to be grateful for, Captain? Your tolerance? You think that just because you and Colonel Brandt are more enlightened than most officers that I hate you any less?"

"Don't underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity."
From "Biloxi Blues".
The young recruits had gone through such a hard time near madness with their sergeant. But, when they got a new one, army life was not as exciting.
They were leading an exciting life, and didn't realize it, even with all his bullsh**. It was awful, but it was worth it.

Just to keep this going and clarifying my original intent for this thread. I had hopes of maybe getting a comment tab built in to the quote of the day window for people to make comments that would remain attached to that quote.  This would allow for people to ask questions, offer their interpretation and/or comment; as well as allowing others to comment or debate.

This one is from today.

"It is your attitude, and the suspicion that you are maturing the boldest designs against him, that imposes on your enemy."
- Frederick the Great

Do you think the western armies live by this one?  It would seem so, but it seems like a paradox that would lead to the military industrial complex.

Fire away!

“I want every American unit not actually in the front lines to see this place. We are told the American soldier does not know what he is fighting for. Now, at least he will know what he is fighting against.”
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
April, 1945.

Ref: “Inside the Vicious Heart” by Robert Abzug.

A very good modern documentary that describes the military industrial complex very well is "Why We Fight".  It starts with Eisenhower's speech when leaving the presidential office. 

No matter what your point of view about the film, it certainly raises some good points and creates awareness.

It's a full movie.  This is the google link.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9219858826421983682#

You can also watch it in 12 parts on you tube.  The quality maybe better.  This is the link to part one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm1B7x5JZfE

"One cannot wage war under present conditions without the support of public opinion, which is tremendously molded by the press and other forms of propaganda."
- General Douglas MacArthur

An excellent mention of how investigative journalism can force journalists outside their lanes.  See "Guelph Man Says Military is Ill Prepared" for an example.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/102389/post-1073432.html#msg1073432

Celebrities also feel the need to use appeal to authority, although they are far from an authority; other than perhaps reading the type of articles above.

It's a shame that the Cmdrs in charge hold less weight than the uneducated outsiders who have access to media and make public slights to support to their agenda.

mariomike said:
“I want every American unit not actually in the front lines to see this place. We are told the American soldier does not know what he is fighting for. Now, at least he will know what he is fighting against.”
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
April, 1945.

Ref: “Inside the Vicious Heart” by Robert Abzug.

My new favorite quote. So applicable today too!

Yes.  Great quote.  You don't know what we are fighting for?  Come with me,  I will show you what we are fighting against.  Nice.

I'll throw one out for ultimate scrutiny.  This one is my own.  Topic "Definition of Leadership".

The ability to order and convince with an action or statement. - GnyHwy

Back