• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Desert uniforms and such

SpinDoc

Inactive
Reaction score
I seem to recall that not too long ago during the PPCLI‘s tour in Afghanistan that pundits were raising the issue of our troops wearing TW CADPAT uniform instead of AR CADPAT (or any sort of desert coloured uniform due to lack of stock).

It seems like the British troops in the Gulf are still wearing green uniforms; and US troops still sport green webbing, which covers most of their body, kind of defeating wearing a light coloured uniform.

I wonder if media in UK and US raised similar issues regarding the colour of equipment recently...

I think their media has better things to talk about. But here in Canada its sport for the media to find fault with the Arm Forces no matter how small. The US and Brits haven‘t even painted all of trucks and tanks, if missed even one the good folks CTV, CBC and CanWest woudl have a field day.

Have you seen the new pictures of Arid CADPAT on the clothe the soldier website? Man, it‘s all such a tease..
CADPAT

Radiohead; The US and UK actually haven‘t painted all their equipment.. I‘ve seen plenty of pictures of Challenger II and Abrams in the area that are still green.

Any tank in the desert for more than a day will be covered in dust and it probably wouldn‘t matter if it was painted pink underneath!

I agree with the comments on the Canadian media - much ado about nothing.

I should of checked my post before I posted it, :rolleyes: I meant to say that us and Uk haven‘t even painted all of their trucks.....

Now, now, radiohead - you DO realize there is an EDIT button so you can change it, right? :D

hey thanks!!!! I had no idea you could do that; that is awesome. If I‘m ever out west, I owe ya a beer.

Dorosh, funny you should mention pink. One of the reason the Brit SAS call(ed) their Land Rovers "Pinkies" was because they found that painting them a pale pink colour was the best way of camoflauging them in an open, flat desert environment.

Perhaps it has something to do with the distortion from heat waves reflected off the surface and viewing over a distance, but they just looked like boulders or something, from afar. Of course, the added benefit of cam nets also helps disguise them. Several Iraqis met their end in 1991 while "investigating" strange odd-shaped tan lumps in an otherwise flat desert, bouldered area. What they thought they were was anyone‘s guess... but they sure as heck had to have known they didn‘t belong there.

I may be wrong, but in Afganistan, not all the terrain was absolutely brown desert. By observing news clips, troops moving through hills, mountains, and the like gave way to light brown areas, to dark brown areas, to green brown areas, shadowed areas, rocks and shrubs, etc. Granted areas around Kabul and Kandahar are lower level terrain and greenery is sparse. Overall, with Canadian troops moving through the hills, mountains, and various terrain, would the green or light tan uniforms make much difference? The al quaeda/taliban recon would be looking more for movement within the confines of an area. Moving tan on green or moving green on tan is still observable. Is this (uniform color) much ado about nothing?
Iraq in the south in much more desert but the closer to the Tigris/Euphrates confluence the more green it gets. Terrain can change in minutes as its passed through.

I‘v seen footage of US Soldiers an Marines in Iraq wearing the green woodland camo(looks like cold weather stuff) with tan kevlar vests

What you are seeing is the American "Bunny suits" for NBC protection, they are woodland camouflage coloured!! So, it really doesn‘t seem to matter there anyway, as camouflage is not an important factor as you boot acroos the countryside in an M2 Bradley.. Kind of like when they try to tell us tank drivers to put on camstick.. while we drive hatches down!!

Bzz

oh, so they are NBC suits

I‘v also seen a pic of US soldiers wearing Woodland or ERDL Brown dominant, whatever u wanna call it, BDU‘s
http://www.msnbc.com/c/0/143/516/8x6/030318_warpreps_05.jpg

I believe the ones wearing the woodland uniforms are US Marines...aren‘t they?

I‘v seen USMC an US Army wearing the woodland NBC "bunny suits"

an in that pic I posted, the two woman they are US Army

Uncle Sam Wants you?
F/Sgt Dixon Wants to join them
to bad they wont accept you

it‘s very hard to get a green card or citienship in the USA, since 9/11

an you need one of those to get into the US Military

I think that in Afghanistan, the only thing desert camo would have done is prove that we can wear the same kind of camo as the americans. Operationally, the green didn‘t make a difference. Canadians even had an advantage at night.

:fifty:

Back