• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Def Min's "Architect" Statements (split fm Walts et. al.)

HB_Pencil said:
This wasn't the first time he said it.

18194727_10154608724568652_787648928698878801_n.jpg

George Wallace said:
Funny and partisan, all rolled into one, but that doesn't answer my original question ...  :p

jollyjacktar said:
I know he has James Cudmore on staff as one ex journalist, who's his speech writer?  Brian Williams?!?  ::)

Sgt Frank Gervais. 

If I am hearing the Minister's words correctly, at the 14 minute mark he said he is quoting "the CDS" who said "the Minister, was the architect of OP MEDUSA".  It will be interesting to see if the CDS makes any statement to clarify or back up this or not.

Breacher said:
I found this video on David Akin's Twitter feed. The video was posted in July of 2015. The "architect" statement is made around the 14 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1fWSq0mnXM
Thanks loads for that - much appreciated.

I listened more than once, and here's what the Minister said (14:09-14:51)...
... We took the fight to the Taliban, we took it hard.  In 2006, as General Vance, who's going to be the Chief of Defence Staff, if I could quote him, he said that I was the architect of Operation Medusa, one of the biggest operations since the Korean War Canada has led ... What people forgot was that, they only remember the fight and the tactical win that we had, but they forgot, how did we get there?  I actually was able to take the population that was supporting the Taliban, bring them onto our side.  That's how I was able to get the intelligence.  That's how I was able to devise the counter-tactics against them and develop the operation that we were finally able to win on ...
jollyjacktar said:
... It will be interesting to see if the CDS makes any statement to clarify or back up this or not.
Indeed ...

I suspect, that no matter if his words were correct and so to speak this all is taken out of context due to unfortunately framed phraseology, this will be a stink that will never leave the man.  The damage is done, as is with Adm Norman, whichever way the knife cuts.

Just listened to the CBC Power Panel on this issue. All the reporters are shaking their heads on why he would do this. He already had the street cred, he didn't have to embellish it all.

jollyjacktar said:
... It will be interesting to see if the CDS makes any statement to clarify or back up this or not.
And here's what the CDS told Global (again, via David Akin -- 3:06-3:14) at today's news conference on sexual misconduct when asked about the Sajjan statement ...
... I'm not really aware of this case and quite frankly I'd like us to keep our eye on the ball about sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces today.  Thanks for your question ...
And the CDS refused to take a follow-up question on Sajjan's statement.
jollyjacktar said:
I suspect, that no matter if his words were correct and so to speak this all is taken out of context due to unfortunately framed phraseology ...
I hear you, and I'm one to give one the benefit of the doubt, but it's in the written remarks, he said it out loud in India, and he's said it in an interview in 2015.  He had a chance to pick his words in 2015, and the info-machine had a chance to pick the words earlier this month, and those are the words that got used. 

And I'm not hearing anybody is saying "maybe we should focus more on what he meant" in this case  ;)  #WordsMatter

Architect?  It will become a meme . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGiylPOXSV8

By choosing that specific word he really ****ed up and will continue to wear it.  Whether a former commander used that specific word on some occasion in reference to his performance re OP MEDUSA will never matter, however what was said about his performance was:

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2015/11/04/opinion/you-have-no-idea-how-badass-trudeaus-defence-minister-really
Addressed to then-Vancouver police chief Jamie Graham, the letter from Brigadier General David Fraser thanked the chief for the loan of Detective Constable Sajjan, then a reserve officer with the Canadian Armed Forces.

It includes the following excerpts:

"Not only did [Sajjan] display a rare high level of intellect and experience in his analysis, he also demonstrated remarkable personal courage… often working in the face of the enemy to collect data and confirm his suspicions, and placing himself almost daily in situations of grave personal risk."

"[He] demonstrated a profound understanding of the Taliban and tribal networks…"

"He was the best single Canadian intelligence asset in theater, and his hard work, personal bravery and dogged determination undoubtedly saved a multitude of Coalition lives."

"Through his courage and dedication, Major Sajjan has single-handedly changed the face of intelligence gathering and analysis in Afghanistan."

"[H]is analysis was so compelling that it drove a number of large scale theatre-resourced efforts, including OPERATION MEDUSA... that resulted in the defeat of the largest TB cell yet identified in Afghanistan, with over 1500 Taliban killed or captured."

"I rate him as one of the best intelligence officers I have ever worked with."

"I have advised my chain of command that the Canadian Forces must capture his skill-set, and seek his advice on how to change our entire tactical intelligence training and architecture to best meet the needs of future deployed units fighting in extremely complex human battlespace."

Well, he may not have been the architect, but he was probably a senior draftsman.

(Edited to add)

While I can understand why the initial report was placed in the "walt" thread, this is more than a story about some sad, insecure individual who inflated his military service history.  This is a political story and though it may not be worthy of its own thread, surely there must be a thread that deals with the political screw-ups of the government or at least a thread about this particular individual.  He made a small splash on these means when given his current post, so including this latest event may be appropriate to tell the wider tale of his ministry.

FSTO said:
Just listened to the CBC Power Panel on this issue. All the reporters are shaking their heads on why he would do this. He already had the street cred, he didn't have to embellish it all.

Maybe with all the scandal, and the RAdm Norman debacle, he felt he was losing ground and needed to try and gain brownie points?

Blackadder1916 said:
... While I can understand why the initial report was placed in the "walt" thread, this is more than a story about some sad, insecure individual who inflated his military service history.  This is a political story and though it may not be worthy of its own thread ...
You're right about the political angle -- I was 50-50 about posting it here or on the political threads, and fell this way. 

And the latest from macleans.ca ...
A day before he backtracked from his false claim that he was the “architect” of Operation Medusa, one of the biggest and most dangerous missions of the war in Afghanistan, Minister of National Defence Harjit Sajjan inexplicably and stubbornly stood by them in a correspondence with me. What happened over the last five days might be called the anatomy of an apology.

The controversy stems from an April 18 speech the Minister delivered at “Conflict Prevention and Peacekeeping in a Changing World,” a conference in New Delhi, India. “On my first deployment to Kandahar in 2006,” the Minister said, “I was the architect of Operation Medusa where we removed 1,500 Taliban fighters off the battlefield … and I was proudly on the main assault.” It was an odd comment. Though Sajjan was a veteran of the 2006 operation, he was in no way the key planner. That role is typically credited to retired Major General David Fraser, then the commander of the Multinational Brigade for Regional Command South, and the man who organized and led Operation Medusa.

On Monday, April 24, I began hearing from a number of senior military veterans who called Sajjan’s claim about his role in Medusa an “exaggeration” and demanded that he correct the record. None of the sources would go on the record because none wanted to question the legitimate bravery Sajjan showed during the 2006 battle and his three tours of duty in Afghanistan. Still, they regarded his comments in India as an inappropriate embellishment of his role. “Sajjan had as much to do with designing Medusa as I did with designing NAFTA,” one source told me.

What did Sajjan really do in Medusa? Back in 2006, then-Brigadier General Fraser wrote a letter commending Sajjan’s “personal bravery” in battle. Fraser wrote that Sajjan’s “analysis was so compelling that it drove a number of large scale theatre-resourced efforts, including Operation Medusa … that resulted in the defeat of the largest Taliban cell yet identified in Afghanistan, with over 1,500 Taliban killed or captured.” So Sajjan’s bravery as an intelligence officer was never in question. But that’s a long way from being the architect of the operation. I contacted Fraser to ask about Sajjan’s recent claim, but he flat out refused to comment.

On Wednesday, April 26, I wrote to the Department of National Defence and asked why the Minister had called himself the “architect” of Medusa. “I do not want to diminish the extraordinary role the Minister played,” I wrote. “However, I have had feedback from several sources who suggest the use of the term ‘architect’ is an exaggeration. I can find no citation where the Minister is credited as the ‘architect’ of Operation Medusa. He was an important member of the team, but no one I spoke to saw him as the ‘architect.’ That role has been credited to the General, in this case, Fraser. As this was a major military operation with many senior military planners, can you please tell me if it is accurate for the Minister to say he was the ‘architect’ of the operation? Did he plan it? Did he originate the plan? Was he the leader of the operation plan? Was he involved in the planning or did he provide Intel that was then verified and used? Why did the Minister call himself the ‘architect” of Medusa?”

I fully expected the Minister to clarify his role, thinking he would repeat what Fraser had written back in 2006—that his intelligence had played a key role in the operation. Instead, he avoided the question and tried to skate. “Operation Medusa was successful because of the leadership, service and sacrifice of many dedicated women and men in the Canadian Armed Forces,” Minister Sajjan wrote. “I was proud to have served with extraordinary Canadians, US and Afghan soldiers who made Operation Medusa successful.”

I immediately wrote back to say that this did not address the fundamental question: Why did the Minister call himself the “architect” of Medusa? I asked his department to further clarify, but they refused to say anything else. “I don’t have anything to add beyond what I just sent,” the Minister’s communications person wrote ...
:pop:

Blackadder1916 said:
While I can understand why the initial report was placed in the "walt" thread, this is more than a story about some sad, insecure individual who inflated his military service history.

I'll bet he's feeling sad, now.

Aaaaand, the apology (via FB):
The response to my remarks about Operation Medusa has been a good reminder of something important for me as a leader - always set a standard that honours those you serve. Another reminder is to own your mistakes.

I made a mistake ‎in describing my role. I wish to retract that description and apologize for it. I am truly sorry.

While I am proud of the role I played during my deployments to Afghanistan, my comments were in no way intended to diminish the roles of my former superiors and fellow soldiers. To them I offer my sincere apologies.

What I should have said is that our military successes are the result of the leadership, service and sacrifice of the many dedicated women and men in the Canadian Forces. Operation Medusa was successful because of leadership of MGen (Ret'd) Fraser and the extraordinary team with whom I had the honour of serving.

I was proud to have served with Canadian, American, and Afghan soldiers who made Operation Medusa successful. I am honoured to serve the women and men of the Canadian Forces today as their Minister.

Too little, too late, methinks.

Members of the CAF are forgiving, dedicated and self effacing. If they have a fault, it's turning their backs on someone that emphasises their own career on the backs of the doers. They may not say anything, but I think they've lost a lot of respect for him. I don't think members of the CAF, being what they are, will do any less than 100% no matter who the boss is. The man they hoped would bring a military perspective to the job, no matter past glories, has just shown himself to be nothing more than a liebral politician. Makes it hard to work for a man like that. :2c:

Agreed.  Respect has been lost.  Even as late as yesterday, he had not changed his story to Evan Solomon.  Now he backpedals.  He has not been the first military personality who entered politics who has lost his 'street cred' with serving and former serving members; and he will not be the last.

It's also telling that both the CDS or MGen(ret) Fraser are refusing to comment on this story.

Back