• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

D Day Piper Bill Millin Memorial in Normandy

D Day Piper

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello to all,

First, to introduce myself, I'm Serge ATHENOUR, President of the D Day Piper Bill Millin Association. It's purpose is to erect a memorial in Normandy to pay tribute to all those who served on fell on D Day, following the will of Bill Millin. Bill has been chosen as the most iconic figure of the D Day.
You perhaps know a bit of his story through the "Longest Day" movie.

I would like give you some more informations .

Bill is born at Regina (Saskatwhewan) on july 14th, 1922. His father, who was a WW1 veteran served at that moment in the RCMP at Regina Academy. The family emigrated in Canada a long time ago from Scotland, and Bill's uncles served in the Canadian forces or the British Army during WW1.
In the 30's, the family came back in Scotland and Bill began to learn the pipes at Glasgow with two pipers of the Police PB.
Aged of 18 in 1940, he entered the Cameron Highlanders and went to the Army School of Piping. His first public exhibition as piper was to raise money to buy a Spitfire.
He quickly was volunteer to enter the new Commandos Forces and was also quickly designed as instructor and piper in the training camp at Achnacarry (Highlands).
Lord Lovat, Chief of clan Fraser, asked him if he would like to be his personnal piper and lead the d Day landing at the sound of the bagpipes. You can imagine.

Bill wrote a from his daily notes during the Normandy campaign ( title "Invasion"). There he met his Canadian cousin who was later killed.

Until a stroke prevented him to come back in Normandy, he paid a tribute to the fallen during more than 50 years. Our association made his last two years a joy to come back.

The Memorial is on his way. A bronze statue is being made, figuring him as he was this morning of june 6th 1944, kilted and playing the pipes to give courage to his comrades.
Only 9 000 euros remain to be found on a general budget (100% dedicated to the memorial, all beside is benevole) of 83 000.

You're warmfully welcome to take part through the site  http://www.ddaypiperbillmillin.com/

And of course to attend the unveil on saturday june 8th 2013.

Canadian soldiers fallen in France during ww1 and ww2 are cherished and very honored by many associations and pipe-bands beside the Government. I met the Honorable Steven Blaney last july 1st in the Somme , as we were there to the Newfoundland and Vimy Ridge tributes.

It's for everybody, an opportunity to take part from where you are, to a tribute to the Braves and have a part of you in Normandy. The donors names will be put in a cylinder inside the heart of the statue, forever.

I would be happy to answer, with John Millin, Bill son, to your enquiries.  Many Thanks.

Back