• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cutting the CF/DND HQ bloat - Excess CF Sr Leadership, Public Servants and Contractors

CDN Aviator said:
Yeah well, funny story about that.............

Yeah, everyone I know that got a letter from DND or was told their position was gone was not bloat.  Most were frontline in service support and it was the bloat that decided who should go and who should stay.

They'll likely need more people now to keep track of domestic, international and support issues all withing one organization.

rifleman said:
They'll likely need more people now to keep track of domestic, international and support issues all withing one organization.

...or, it will look more like the DCDS group, with J3 Intl, J3 Cont, J4 functionality. 

The major detractor from the DCDS group's focus on operations was the addition of numerous administrative taskings/responsibilities that should have more appropriately been assigned to the VCDS group.

Interestingly, in the early days of pre-transformation, Gen Hillier tried to make the case for a unified Joint CF Command (based on major elements of the late-70's-to-early-80's CF Command), but he received significant resistance from some of the environmental commanders (Ready, Aye Ready).  The tri-fold CEFCOM, CANCOM, CANOSCOM structure that resulted was the second best option as Gen Hillier saw it, although it came with greater staff overhead than the originally-planned Joint CF Com.

Ironically, he we are, aligning to the concept that Gen Hillier tried during round 1 of the CDS Action Team deliberations.

Regards
G2G

Infanteer said:
Thank f**k.  Now, are we going to get some PYs reinvested into the units?  I'll trade 3 x staff wanks (now that there is 3 times less staff to feed) for a rifleman/gunner/crewman/sapper.

You've clearly forgotten that the main effort is to muster enough troops in the Death Star to fight the the real enemies in the other services. Having enough troops in the fighting units to take on other 'mythical' enemies is a secondary priority. 

Just so I don't get flamed..... :sarcasm:

Infanteer said:
Thank f**k.  Now, are we going to get some PYs reinvested into the units? 
I hope we do.  This unified CANOPSCOM will be a good thing if it reduces the size of the staff. 

I got a question:

Why can't the CDS FIRE those who display significant resistance to orders and directives?

Just say - "listen bucko, take the rank off the shoulders, pack your kit and get out of the office - 2 I/C take over. You have a month...."

Jim Seggie said:
I got a question:

Why can't the CDS FIRE those who display significant resistance to orders and directives?

Just say - "listen bucko, take the rankoff the shoulders, pack your kit and get out of the office - 2 I/C take over. You have a month...."

Probably the same reason politicians would rather wage war than assassinate the leader of an enemy country : sets a horrible precedent.

Jim Seggie said:
I got a question:

Just say - "listen bucko, take the rank off the shoulders, pack your kit and get out of the office - 2 I/C take over. You have a month...."

<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_%28Roman_army%29>Decimation</a>

>:D

NinerSix said:
<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_%28Roman_army%29>Decimation</a>

>:D

Good idea......the fairy worked hard on that one!

MCG said:
I hope we do.  This unified CANOPSCOM will be a good thing if it reduces the size of the staff.

And, if they really reduce those staff by allowing for attrition and then conversion of the PYs to troops posns vice the abundance of Commissioned folks those most-entirely HQ entities currently hold. The troops posns currently within consist almost entirely of loggies - Sup (3CSU, JSR, Depots), and sigs (JSR).

Interesting stat from Comd CA this weekend: of the Army strength (ie those not already employed outside of the Army) 74% are emplyed in the field force (defined as Brigade and below), 23 % in the Institutional Army (bases and the training system) and 3 % in HQs above Brigade.

Seems to me we have it about right in the Army at least.

PPCLI Guy said:
Interesting stat from Comd CA this weekend: of the Army strength (ie those not already employed outside of the Army) 74% are emplyed in the field force (defined as Brigade and below), 23 % in the Institutional Army (bases and the training system) and 3 % in HQs above Brigade.

Well, to be fair, CANOSCOM (at least) would probably show somewhat similar stats. We have HQ, then we have all the troops in the Depots, this Regiment and all those in 3CSU. Not so much the other two HQs; I could be wrong, but I don't think either of the two has an actual troop manned unit under it's wing here in Canada, so there's certainly a redundancy in requiring 3 X HQs who are all capable of overseeing deployed entities (and 3CSU and JSR always have a great many pers deployed around the world). I think this merger of those three is absolutely called for and justified.

PPCLI Guy said:

I think you would find the ratios roughly hold for the three force generating elements (adjusting for the fact that RCN and RCAF units have fewer people in them by their very nature). The "problem" (such as it is) is that VCDS Group, say, is entirely "HQ", likewise IM Gp, CANADA COM, CEFCOM, Adm(Mat), etc. These all serve to aid the pointy-end in the FG elements, so it's a bit disingenuous to pare out the least HQ-y components of the CF and say that they don't have the institutional problem of the rest of the force.

PPCLI Guy said:

The overall gross stats may be about right, but from the little I can see, the echelons within echelons vs feet on the ground is part of the problem. Mini-empires as it were....

I have to admit that when he said that, I thought it was the weakest part of his presentation.

'OK, if we don't consider the National Capital Region, we're looking fine'....coming on the heels of discussions about losing a platoon each, likelihood of ever seeing a fourth rifle Coy again, eating the infantry to come up with other folks' PYs....
        :dunno:

Don't panic people; much of this was just marginal discussing by people with no authority to harm your fiefdom.  ;)

Just don't critique LFDTS  >:D

Journeyman said:
I have to admit that when he said that, I thought it was the weakest part of his presentation.

'OK, if we don't consider the National Capital Region, we're looking fine'....coming on the heels of discussions about losing a platoon each, likelihood of ever seeing a fourth rifle Coy again, eating the infantry to come up with other folks' PYs....
        :dunno:

Don't panic people; much of this was just marginal discussing by people with no authority to harm your fiefdom.  ;)

Just don't critique LFDTS  >:D

If you want a 4th rifle company we should OP Task each reserve brigade to provide it. Glass half empty? Reg F exercises on weekends once per month! Ahhhhhh!

daftandbarmy said:
If you want a 4th rifle company we should OP Task each reserve brigade to provide it.
I'm afraid any Res leadership in attendance is still in the Chicken Little-mode about a separate comment made.  :whistle:

Six man sections, four per platoon?  As per pre WW2 info supplied by M.O'Leary on  an  infantrythread somewhere.

Back