• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cutting the CF/DND HQ bloat - Excess CF Sr Leadership, Public Servants and Contractors

CDN Aviator said:
I know what is involved, i have read it. The fear-mongering part is the "thousands of jobs at risk" part. The one i quoted in fact.

Couldn't agree more. No one is gonna get a pink slip just yet. Lots of folks well past their expiration date and still "in the fridge". I welcome this change.

jollyjacktar said:
Great, will this mean being raped from Ottawa, Esquimault or Halifax.  At least when you are trying to deal with PCC at present you might actually have a connection with the person you're speaking/writing to.  They're enough to make you go  :pullhair: already...
I don't think it will be that apocalyptic. The PCC is just an amalgamation of the old NRCC and Fleet Manning. Each PCC will be responsible for its own AOR but will be in line with the "One Navy" concept. I am pretty sure that the HPD concept will largely remain.

Shakeup among military brass imminent as defence overhaul takes shape
Murray Brewster, The Canadian Press 05/18/2012
Article Link

OTTAWA - The general who is currently in charge of Canada's overseas headquarters is expected to be named to lead a newly combined organization that's at the centre of the Harper government's overhaul of National Defence.

The Canadian Press has learned the appointment of Lt.-Gen. Stuart Beare could come next week.

Beare's appointment as head of the newly created Canadian Joint Operations Command is expected to mark the beginning of a series of command appointments and changes.

The shuffling comes in the wake of a major reorganization that will see the department lose about one-quarter of its headquarters overhead.

Senior government and military sources confirmed Beare's appointment to The Canadian Press late Friday, calling him a natural choice after nearly a year of leading the military's expeditionary command.

It potentially removes him from contention for the job of chief of defence staff.

Beare, a veteran of a senior NATO command post in Afghanistan, has been among those on the list as a possible replacement for Gen. Walt Natynczyk.

Others considered in the running include Vice Admiral Paul Maddison and Maj.-Gen Mike Day, who is about to end a stint as the deputy commander of the NATO training mission in Kabul.

Rumours have been circulating for weeks that Natynczyk is ready to retire after nearly four years as the country's top military commander.

The reorganization of Defence is prompted by a nearly $1.5 billion reduction in the department's budget, but defence sources say the changes will not be entirely noticeable until next year.

The restructuring of commands will see the headquarters that manage domestic, international and support operations merged into one organization and Beare will have three deputy commanders working under him.

Whether staff at the other headquarters will be packed into the separate overseas command building in east-end Ottawa remains to be seen.

The consolidation is something that was described as a necessity in a review report by last year by the former head of the army, retired lieutenant-general Andrew Leslie.

Precisely how many job losses or retirements that will mean is unclear.

Leslie's report painted a picture of a military fat with administration and private contracting support.
end

A reduction in the number of flag officers is probably overdue. Any reductions in staff both civilian and military should be followed by a move to 103% manning of the combat units.

I agree with tomahawk6, I believe this move is for the better and will make for a more efficient and effective command.

tomahawk6 said:
should be followed by a move to 103% manning of the combat units.

How about 100% as the "non-combat units" that make life possible for the "combat units" have had to do with less than 80% for years and years. Making training possible for the field force doesn't magically happen all by itself.

I would agree CDN Aviator. This is what the US did to flesh out units that had been hollowed out under Clinton. The best move Gen Shinseki ever made as Army Chief of Staff.
We did what Canada probably cannot do without some additional legislative authority. Much of our Army's combat support units were moved into the reserve force.Reserve/NG units can be Federalized to meet the needs of the Army. Reservists/Guardsmen have their jobs protected by law.We can call up entire reserve units as needed. If Canada could do that it would ease the pressure on the regular force.

CDN Aviator said:
How about 100% as the "non-combat units" that make life possible for the "combat units" have had to do with less than 80% for years and years. Making training possible for the field force doesn't magically happen all by itself.

:+1:  Combat units can't be fully effective without proper support.

So the Army, Navy and Airforce can get by with 1 DComd, but CFJOC needs 3?  When 1 Cdn Div's 2* deploys and starts reporting to Comd CFJOC, what do all the 2*s do?

Infanteer said:
So the Army, Navy and Airforce can get by with 1 DComd, but CFJOC needs 3?  When 1 Cdn Div's 2* deploys and starts reporting to Comd CFJOC, what do all the 2*s do?

Grab a commissionaire and play euchre?  8)

Infanteer said:
So the Army, Navy and Airforce can get by with 1 DComd, but CFJOC needs 3?
I can forsee some potential PY savings being lost due to the fact that the three amalgamated .COMs will actually continue to exist (less names & at a reduced rank) inside of the new CFJOC.

Yes.  If the DComds are doing the actual commanding, then it was a simple shell game with a rank reduction for one guy.

Infanteer said:
Yes.  If the DComds are doing the actual commanding, then it was a simple shell game with a rank reduction for one guy.

:nod:

Hate to burst your bubbles - Inflation and project delay for buildings and equipment will suck up all the savings

Fail!  :bowing:

quadrapiper said:
Speaking to staff rank-bloat - it's everywhere; even the RCSU down at Work Point is infested with Capt 10s doing MCpl clerk-work.

Eh, it's late, and I'm probably exposing my ignorance here... the manning still seems a bit strange.

I can't tell you how correct you are! I have never seen a organisation with such waste in pay levels as a RCSU. Capt 10's doing a job I would re org to give a res clerk cpl. Transport organised by a capt 10? At the regiments we use Cpl's who are injured too bad to go to the field.

Det commander has to be a Maj? Why not a Capt?

And random officers paid to "help out" (I.E do someone elses job)

Random "Slush fund" to give good CO's a couple extra days pay as a gift from the Det commander? How is that legal.

I couldn't agree more. I've never seen such overhead or Capt's and Maj careerist retiring with beautiful pensions....which I was sure the cadet movement wasn't about...but it's very evident once inside looking around.

With the creation of this CJOC, I'm left wondering why DND is not implementing it in the way the report recommended?

http://milnewsca.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/transform-appx1-annex-h.pdf

On the proposed model towards the end of the link, it recommends combining Canada COM and CEFCOM into one command, and then merging CANOSCOM with other joint capabilities of the CF to create a larger support organization. Kind of makes more sense to me. Also, aside from RCN transformation I haven't heard a peep about any of the proposals from the Army and RCAF.

The RCAF beat everyone to it, and transformed in 1997 -- all operational fleets under a single Divisional command. 

FG (2*, 1*), MAG (1*), ATG(1*), 10 TAG(1*), 14 Trg Gp(1*) -> 1 CAD (2*, 1*, 1*)

Since we don't have gills or wings, the army's had lots of time to get it right already.......except for this recurring attempt to justify a Div HQ.

;)

Journeyman said:
...except for this recurring attempt to justify a Div HQ.

That does occasionally keep me up at night wondering how the heck that one made its way through the SR/DRAP gauntlet...  ???

Back