• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Criminal Records Check - CRC (Merged)

OK so I'm going to start off by saying the question I'm about to ask is for a close friend who has always had his eye on making a difference with the Canadian Infantry, however at the age of 18 he was in a car accident after falling asleep driving home an early November morning that in result claimed the lives of two bystanders resting in their vehicle on the side of the highway.
I'm sure at first thought you must be thinking drugs or alcohol but no, infact neither were involved causing this, he pleaded guilty and was convicted of two counts of criminal negligence causing death then being sentenced to 2 years less a day with 5 years probation.
He was released on parole for good behaviour and working the whole time he was incarcerated, now that the end of his probation is finally coming to an end his family has been asking if he is going to go for it (as again its what hes always wanted).
He still wants it  but doesn't know how the recruiters or panel are going to feel about it.

Any information from anyone who knows about these types of areas would be greatly appreciated

j1987

I hope that your "friend" is not too attached to the idea of joining the CF.

Your 'friend' - also born in 1987 judging by the math, I would assume - will very likely never be a member of the Canadian military.

You he will almost certainly not have any luck until and unless a pardon is eventually granted- or whatever the Conservatives have renamed it to.

I'm just a citizen, I know nothing about the military. But I cant get in because I decided at a young age education wasn't important, I'm sure that he's going to have a harder time with his record.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/goc/pardons.shtml

Might help, man what a shitty deal, it sucks how one bad choice can ruin so many lives. Even when driving!

Hope that helps, keep in mind I don't know a damn thing about the military other than commen sense, and it tells me he's going to be rejected, who knows though. I think he has to have a clean record for 7 years or so before applying.

mikewalker28 said:
I'm just a citizen, I know nothing about the military. But I cant get in because I decided at a young age education wasn't important, I'm sure that he's going to have a harder time with his record.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/goc/pardons.shtml

Might help, man what a shitty deal, it sucks how one bad choice can ruin so many lives. Even when driving!

Hope that helps, keep in mind I don't know a damn thing about the military other than commen sense, and it tells me he's going to be rejected, who knows though. I think he has to have a clean record for 7 years or so before applying.

I had a criminal record, got pardoned and joined. He should go try to get a pardon and go from there.

Best of luck.

"Legal Obligations

Additionally, you must not have any form of legal obligation. Every CF applicant must complete the reliability screening process and be conferred with Reliability Status (RS) prior to enrolment. Reliability screening is a systematic method of confirming that an individual can be expected to be reliable and trustworthy based on the verification of Reliability Checks (RC) as follows: personal data, employment history, education / professional qualifications and personal and employment references, as well as the completion of a Criminal Record Name Check (CRNC) and a credit background check".

Assuming that you meet the eligibility criteria listed above, if you have a Criminal Code of Canada or Controlled Drugs and Substances Act conviction (or more than one conviction) as long as you have served your sentence(s) and no longer have a legal obligation then you may apply to the CF. Please note that you do not require a pardon in order to apply.

Bold added by myself for emphasis, I too had a record without a pardon and managed to be accepted, your friend will not know until he tries once his legal obligations have finished, in my case I applied the day after my probation ended.

http://forces.ca/en/page/faq-101#link1

I received a conditional discharge for something I was charged with last year. I'm currently doing 6 months unsupervised probation.
When can I apply for the CF?

belalugosi said:
I'm currently doing 6 months unsupervised probation.
When can I apply for the CF?

From the CF website:
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/faq-101

Legal Obligations

Additionally, you must not have any form of legal obligation. Every CF applicant must complete the reliability screening process and be conferred with Reliability Status (RS) prior to enrolment. Reliability screening is a systematic method of confirming that an individual can be expected to be reliable and trustworthy based on the verification of Reliability Checks (RC) as follows: personal data, employment history, education / professional qualifications and personal and employment references, as well as the completion of a Criminal Record Name Check (CRNC) and a credit background check.

Assuming that you meet the eligibility criteria listed above, if you have a Criminal Code of Canada or Controlled Drugs and Substances Act conviction (or more than one conviction) as long as you have served your sentence(s) and no longer have a legal obligation then you may apply to the CF. Please note that you do not require a pardon in order to apply.

You will be able to apply. With a very recent criminal record, I'd not be optimistic. We have far more applicants than we need or want for many trades, and other trades simply aren't open. You will be competing against a great many people who are not criminals. I hope for your sake that you have realistic expectations about your trade options, and that other parts of your application really shine in order to over come a very glaring deficiency.

Brihard said:
You will be able to apply. With a very recent criminal record, I'd not be optimistic. We have far more applicants than we need or want for many trades, and other trades simply aren't open. You will be competing against a great many people who are not criminals. I hope for your sake that you have realistic expectations about your trade options, and that other parts of your application really shine in order to over come a very glaring deficiency.

But is that really the way it's looked at, or do you think it's more of a check in the box as to whether you'd have legal restrictions? I don't have experience in the area, but I think that the criminal record check might be more of a test as to whether there would be legal problems deploying you in certain areas of the country, world or working with certain populations. While it does say something about your character to have a criminal record, a lot of employers these days put a little disclaimer beside the criminal record box saying "does not necessarily mean disqualification" - meaning it's quite possible they won't hold it against you. I would say do your probation, throw an application in and tell it as it is in the interview.

Reaper-1 said:
I think that the criminal record check might be more of a test as to whether there would be legal problems deploying you in certain areas of the country, world or working with certain populations.

More and more this is a bigger issue with the CANSOFCOM side of the house- not sure about just getting into the CF

Reaper-1 said:
But is that really the way it's looked at, or do you think it's more of a check in the box as to whether you'd have legal restrictions? I don't have experience in the area, but I think that the criminal record check might be more of a test as to whether there would be legal problems deploying you in certain areas of the country, world or working with certain populations. While it does say something about your character to have a criminal record, a lot of employers these days put a little disclaimer beside the criminal record box saying "does not necessarily mean disqualification" - meaning it's quite possible they won't hold it against you. I would say do your probation, throw an application in and tell it as it is in the interview.

You're free to interpret things that way if that's what you choose to believe.

Brihard said:
You're free to interpret things that way if that's what you choose to believe.

Or you could contribute back to the topic and tell us all what we don't know?

Brihard, who has worked in recruiting, has expressed how the criminal record is actually viewed.

Reaper-1, who stated quite openly that "I don't have experience in the area," but went on to suggest without any substantiation whatsoever that 'maybe it's merely a check in the box, and it may matter for some deployments.'

Brihard, apparently wanting to avoid another toilet-bowl swirl of uninformed posts, simply responded with a "hey, believe whatever you want."

Why are things so fucking difficult in the Recruiting threads?    :brickwall:

skyhigh10 said:
Or you could contribute back to the topic and tell us all what we don't know?

@skyhigh10 Criminals have a harder time getting into the military. #noshit #yourewelcome

I keep forgetting you need to communicate with people differently these days...

Journeyman said:
Brihard, who has worked in recruiting, has expressed how the criminal record is actually viewed.

Reaper-1, who stated quite openly that "I don't have experience in the area," but went on to suggest without any substantiation whatsoever that 'maybe it's merely a check in the box, and it may matter for some deployments.'

Brihard, apparently wanting to avoid another toilet-bowl swirl of uninformed posts, simply responded with a "hey, believe whatever you want."

Why are things so ******* difficult in the Recruiting threads?    :brickwall:

Round of applause. 

I have to manually click to see what it is that you post these days because I find you nothing short of nauseating. Like you somehow feel the need to explain to me why it's harder for those with criminal records to get into the military.  ::) .  Please try and explain to me further why the CF doesn't want to hire criminals ?  While you're at it, tell me where you receive telepathy lessons. 

Reaper-1  asked a few questions regarding CR processing. I know it is really hard for you to read and comprehend  without reporting, deducting MP points or shouting individuals down like an adult, but back on topic,  the response was "feel free to interpret it that way", courtesy of Brihard. Instead of being abrasive, maybe you should consider telling him he's way out to lunch for such and such a reason. Somehow that translates into a crap shoot.

Brihard said:
@skyhigh10 Criminals have a harder time getting into the military. #noshit #yourewelcome

I keep forgetting you need to communicate with people differently these days...

Reaper asked the question, not me. 

skyhigh10 said:
I have to manually click to see what it is that you post these days because I find you nothing short of nauseating.
    :'(

Like everyone else on this site, if you find what you read not to your liking for whatever reason, you can:

1. Use the Report to Moderator function and let them adjudicate;

2. Unlike the several other people who slagged you for your response, you seem to have sand in your ovaries over my posts only.....so don't bother unclicking <ignore> . The people I have on ignore are there for a reason and I'm not the slightest bit curious what they have to say; and/or

3. Go away and start up your own site that's more to your liking.

Anyone of the above will not hurt my feelings. You are hardly the first person to come here believing that they're the only one in step because they misunderstood when their mom said they were "special."

This:

Locked.

Army.ca Staff

When I was 18 years of age I assaulted someone with a weapon. The weapon I used was a pipe wrench. They charged me as an adult with a summary offence with an assault with a weapon charge. I am almost done probation and I was wondering if I could qualify to join the military. Long story short about the pipe wrench is someone was bullying me for weeks and I just snapped, I barely hurt the person, just a small bruise. I know what I did was wrong but I guess the term paying for your mistakes are here for a reason. Anyway if anyone could help out or answer my question I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Back