• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Criminal Records Check - CRC (Merged)

"Effect" is a noun, "affect" is a verb,  and 18 year olds are adults.  Demonstrate that you know these facts before going to see a recruiter.  A recruiter will be able to answer with facts; here you will only get opinions.  So, my point is this: facts are important.

fanmail said:
When I was 18 years of age I assaulted someone with a weapon. The weapon I used was a pipe wrench.

Like you, I also assaulted someone when I was in my teens, although in my case it was using a candlestick in a library.  I went on to have a successful career in the military.

Regards,

Colonel Mustard

(Come on, I know you were thinking it...)

fanmail said:
I guess that give me some hope...

Oh my - I'm guessing "Clue" is not as popular a board game as when us forty-somethings were kids...

The truth is as Technoviking explained it.  Every situation is different, and they'll have to evaluate your situation on its own merits. 

fanmail said:
Anyway if anyone could help out or answer my question I would appreciate it.

You may find this helpful.

"Criminal Record (merged)":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12896.0

Hi everyone.  I have been creeping around these forums for a few months and decided to join.  I apologize to the staff for not being able to locate a formal introduction thread.  In lieu, this will need to serve as my introduction to these forums for the time being.

Now, onto addressing the reason I came into this topic.

I have dreamed of joining The Canadian Forces since I was, as my profile states, "a snotty nosed kid".  I am going to my local recruitment office tomorrow and will be attempting to join the Canadian (Regular) Forces.  However, back in April 2012 when I was 18 years old I was charged with a DUI, blowing a 0.12.  I have for the most part quit drinking since then because of this and have not been in trouble with the law since.  At this point, it has been 10 months since I was arrested, 8 months since convicted and am now 19 years old.  I have $1,200 owing to the police and $500 owing to SGI.  Will this DUI charge or the $1,700 in fines disqualify me from joining? (I am applying to become an infantry soldier).

-Edit: Fixed some spelling errors.

I went to the Regina CFRC today and told the recruiter about my DUI.  He told me that having my license suspended (1 year) was a form of legal obligation up until the end of the suspension.  So in the end, after a nice chat about various things he politely told me to come back when my suspension is done in July and put an application in. 

-Edit: Spelling.

Dylan L said:
I went to the Regina CFRC today and told the recruiter about my DUI.  He told me that having my license suspended (1 year) was a form of legal obligation up until the end of the suspension.  So in the end, after a nice chat about various things he politely told me to come back when my suspension is done in July and put an application in. 

-Edit: Spelling.

The legal obligation is the hard and fast 'can't apply until'. On top of that, you can reasonably expect that a very recent criminal record will be a considerable detriment to your competitiveness for whatever you apply to.

At the end of the day, yes, many people make many mistakes. However, most people don't err so seriously as to end up with a criminal record. It's an indication that, at this point in your life, there is real reason to believe that behavioural and/or judgment problems may be present. Issues that are indicative of alcohol abuse are something that often generate particular sensitivity within the institution, as it's a classic 'dumb young male who hasn't got his stuff together' behavioural pattern. The thing is that we need to know that you are a mature, responsible person (or some approximation thereof) NOW, not that you have potential to be.

All this to say- by all means, apply. You have that right and I genuinely applaud your desire to serve. However the serious mistake you made not too long ago will quite likely work against you, especially when many of our trades are so competitive right now. Were I you, I would have other plans in place to see me through the next five years should this not work out.

Keep your nose clean and keep working at it, earn your pardon, and things will look up for you down the road. That's why the pardon system exists. In the short term, if you get in, you will probably be able to consider yourself lucky.

That is exactly what has me awake at night, the fact that I no longer go about my life as a carefree gadabout but will most likely be seen that way because of this DUI.  Around 6 months ago I went through a pretty "sobering" experience and now pride myself in my new level of maturity compared to how I used to conduct myself.  Sadly I know there will be little hope of proving this to the CF through paperwork. 

As I told the recruiter, I'm going to take this few months to upgrade myself in as many ways as possible, that made him crack a smile.  He said that I could potentially make up for my shortcoming in other fields such as fitness, grades, community service, types of work that i do, ect.  So i'm going to heed these words and do all that I can. 

Sorry for going off topic, but one question.  Would going to a alcohol screening and proving you're not an alcoholic help a person in any way at all during the application process?

A recent interesting court case that might have an impact on Criminal Record results and getting into the CF.

http://www.employmentlawtoday.com/articleview/17203-westjet-employees-bid-to-get-job-back-denied-because-of-involvement-in-drug-raid

Dylan L said:
That is exactly what has me awake at night, the fact that I no longer go about my life as a carefree gadabout but will most likely be seen that way because of this DUI.  Around 6 months ago I went through a pretty "sobering" experience and now pride myself in my new level of maturity compared to how I used to conduct myself.  Sadly I know there will be little hope of proving this to the CF through paperwork. 

As I told the recruiter, I'm going to take this few months to upgrade myself in as many ways as possible, that made him crack a smile.  He said that I could potentially make up for my shortcoming in other fields such as fitness, grades, community service, types of work that i do, ect.  So i'm going to heed these words and do all that I can. 

Sorry for going off topic, but one question.  Would going to a alcohol screening and proving you're not an alcoholic help a person in any way at all during the application process?

Once your prohabition is over and you have paid your fines off, you are eligible to apply.

The_Green_Basterd said:
A recent interesting court case that might have an impact on Criminal Record results and getting into the CF.

http://www.employmentlawtoday.com/articleview/17203-westjet-employees-bid-to-get-job-back-denied-because-of-involvement-in-drug-raid

Not really, it basically describes what already happens.  In this instance, she choose to challenge her denial, and lost the challenge. 

Hatchet Man said:
Not really, it basically describes what already happens.  In this instance, she choose to challenge her denial, and lost the challenge. 

The_Green_Basterd said:

Title of the article pretty much says it all.

Hatchet Man said:

What I felt was interesting was that she was never charged with the crime yet the court is saying it can still be used to deny reliability status.  It doesn't say, but I think the database she showed up in was PRIME, because the article says her involvement in the case was erased everywhere else, but i am only assuming.

Proud_Canadian said:
What I felt was interesting was that she was never charged with the crime yet the court is saying it can still be used to deny reliability status.  It doesn't say, but I think the database she showed up in was PRIME, because the article says her involvement in the case was erased everywhere else, but i am only assuming.

“While there may not have been sufficient evidence to convict the applicant, the facts reasonably support a belief she was either closely connected to this activity or willfully blind to it,” said the court. “A criminal conviction is sustained on proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Denial of a security clearance requires only a reasonable belief, on a balance of probabilities, that a person may be prone to or induced to commit an act that may interfere with civil aviation.”

The court also found the Minister of Transport has the legal discretion to grant or refuse security clearance, regardless of the reason.

Remember, this is a reliability check. It is a judgement on how reliable someone is. And part of that is whom the person may be associated with.

Proud_Canadian said:

She was charged, however the charges were stayed.  Doesn't mean she didn't commit any crime or is innocent of any involvement. 

cupper said:
Remember, this is a reliability check. It is a judgement on how reliable someone is. And part of that is whom the person may be associated with.

Also IIRC from what the MCC's told me, whomever grants the reliability status, it's their ass on the line, if they saw red flags, but grant the status anyways. 

Hey guys kinda new to this forum, and I know there a bunch of posts asking the same question but I just want to narrow it down to my perspective.
So I applied for infantry, MP, and Artillary via online registration back in January.
I then got my first charge in april for possession of a weapon for dangerous purpose but it should get dropped since I was defending myself in my own home. A few days after i got charged my recruiter called for an interview, real shitty.  Now the rest of the charges happened just from plain stupidity while I was livingon the streets. I'm trying not to plead on any of the charges but I just want to know if I could join if I do get convicted. Anyways I'll list my charges below.

Weapons dangerous
2 theft under $5000 ( I stole my own bike and got charged?)
4 possession of stolen good under $5000
3 Recognizance/OIC Undertaking breaches (I got one breach dropped)

But now I am back living at home on bail waiting for all this to go through and i havent gotten into any trouble with the law since. But i was wondering if this would stop me. I've been told by a lot of people the weapon charge will screw me for it. But lets say I atleast get that charged dropped, would the take me once probation is over? What would be the best charges to get rid of? Thanks!

P.S.  I do not have a youth record!

brandon9367 said:
Hey guys kinda new to this forum, and I know there a bunch of posts asking the same question but I just want to narrow it down to my perspective.
So I applied for infantry, MP, and Artillary via online registration back in January.
I then got my first charge in april for possession of a weapon for dangerous purpose but it should get dropped since I was defending myself in my own home. A few days after i got charged my recruiter called for an interview, real shitty.  Now the rest of the charges happened just from plain stupidity while I was livingon the streets. I'm trying not to plead on any of the charges but I just want to know if I could join if I do get convicted. Anyways I'll list my charges below.

Weapons dangerous
2 theft under $5000 ( I stole my own bike and got charged?)
4 possession of stolen good under $5000
3 Recognizance/OIC Undertaking breaches (I got one breach dropped)

But now I am back living at home on bail waiting for all this to go through and i havent gotten into any trouble with the law since. But i was wondering if this would stop me. I've been told by a lot of people the weapon charge will screw me for it. But lets say I atleast get that charged dropped, would the take me once probation is over? What would be the best charges to get rid of? Thanks!

P.S.  I do not have a youth record!
Did you mention any of this to the recruiter whilst you did your interview?
Site: http://www.forces.ca/en/page/faq-101
LEGAL OBLIGATIONS

Additionally, you must not have any form of legal obligation. Every CF applicant must complete the reliability screening process and be conferred with Reliability Status (RS) prior to enrolment. Reliability screening is a systematic method of confirming that an individual can be expected to be reliable and trustworthy based on the verification of Reliability Checks (RC) as follows: personal data, employment history, education / professional qualifications and personal and employment references, as well as the completion of a Criminal Record Name Check (CRNC) and a credit background check.

Assuming that you meet the eligibility criteria listed above, if you have a Criminal Code of Canada or Controlled Drugs and Substances Act conviction (or more than one conviction) as long as you have served your sentence(s) and no longer have a legal obligation then you may apply to the CF. Please note that you do not require a pardon in order to apply.

Good luck.

Back