• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Criminal Records Check - CRC (Merged)

George Wallace said:
You could read some of the topics on CRIMINAL RECORD, SECURITY CLEARANCES and PARDONS to get a better idea.

Thanks George,

but i have, and it tells me that as long as i have no obligation to the courts that i can get into the cf, which i already know. and as i said in my post, unless i am missing something most of the security clearance topics are not related to criminal record and a security clearance but to other issues like being from a different country and such. and as far as pardons go, i can not get one for another year and a bit. i am just wanting some info on if this criminal and shady past will stop me from getting the clearance i need for Sig op, which i believe is level 3.

Have a look over this thread. It has 10 pages worth of information and advice.

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/12896.0.html

As for whether it will prevent you from getting your clearance, I cannot speak as to whether or not it would outright prevent you from doing so, but I can tell you that the security clearance application form (Form 330-60E if you would like to do a google search to see what other information is required) specifically asks whether or not you have been convicted of a criminal offence for which you have not been granted a pardon.

As well, in general, the point of the application forms, as far as I can tell, is to be able to provide information to the government sufficient to prove that you have been an upstanding citizen for the time period during which you're required to outline, which for all security clearances is 10 years.

In light of this, I frankly think it would be highly doubtful that you would be granted the highest level of trust that the Government of Canada bestows upon anyone with an unpardoned theft and fraud conviction on your record a mere 6 years ago.

gcclarke said:
In light of this, I frankly think it would be highly doubtful that you would be granted the highest level of trust that the Government of Canada bestows upon anyone with an unpardoned theft and fraud conviction on your record a mere 6 years ago.

This is the important part of all the discussions so far. 

Bottom line is, no one here can tell you with any certainty. All the info is in the other threads. It's going to be a crap shoot and your dice are loaded. Roll 'em and live with the consequenses.

Milnet.ca Staff

I started the whole process in late august. I frequently call the cf recruitment center for an update (every 2 weeks or so) and they tell me the same thing along the lines of "It is still processing, call back in 2 weeks" Now, my frustration grows from the fact that the recruiter says it should be done by now considering when you started the application. Secondly, I read a blog which read "The Enhanced Reliability Check can be completed at local Recruiting Centres with the exception of the criminal records and credit checks, which are conducted by Deputy Provost Marshal Security. If an applicant does not appear on either the Canadian Police Identification Centre or the Credit Bureau of Canada, the Enhanced Reliability Check can be completed in as little as 72 hours. If problems arise with either check, however, this time may be extended considerably"  Now, I know that I do not have a criminal record, never had finger prints taken from me either. So....I'm just wondering, is this normal? Could there be something wrong with my record I don't know about and is essentially holding me back?

PS: I called the recruitment center today and he told me that they are still waiting and the holidays slow things down, call back in 2 weeks.. I'm feeling the freeze  :snowman:

If there is a problem on the criminal records side, and you said never had one, maybe your full name is common enough to include someone that does have a record, and they are in the process of checking that person is not you?

If credit issue, can contact the credit bureau yourself or file for a credit check yourself to see if anything if blocking somewhere. If to young or whatever to have a credit record at all, can be same as above, too common of a name or maybe family?

Apart from that, Holidays certainly slows things down with any bureaucracy.

I have just applied for Signal Tech, I do have a criminal record 6years ago going on 7 and have a pardon in the works , ther is a assault on the record , its been 2weeks since I heard anything, should I even bother expecting a call?

Topic: "Criminal Record": 
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/12896/post-882296.html#msg882296

Topic: "Pardons - Regulations pertaining to Pardons":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/92937/post-920989.html#msg920989

Topic: "Pardons":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/12874/post-190365.html#msg190365

Also, there's no such beast as "Signal Tech".  You're either talking about Signal Operator, or LCIS Tech.

Do a search before asking questions, as your question has most likely been asked before.

Robbie4296 said:
I have just applied for Signal Tech, I do have a criminal record 6years ago going on 7 and have a pardon in the works , ther is a assault on the record , its been 2weeks since I heard anything, should I even bother expecting a call?

Apply and find out.  It all depends on what is on your record and how recently anything has happened.  I have a criminal record from 7 years ago, and will be sworn in this July; it did slow down the application process though by several months because I had to get fingerprinted and wait for the results to be sent through the appropriate channels in Ottawa. 

Thanks for the info, and your right it is Signal OP, and yes I have read alot of posts regarding "criminal records" and havent really got much info other than pardon info which my papers have already been submitted, I was more asking what kinds of offences almost always dont get you in no matter how long its been i.e. drugs, violence, etc.I hear lots getting in with records but nobody really says what the record is? But thanks to all for there answers you have been helpful.

I also had  a record  that was only a few years from now but went through the process and got in. Start BMQ in September try giving the CAFR, office a call Good luck. :salute:

Hey guys, I recently went through majorty of the application process, I completed the CFAT qualifying for all trades and have recently returned to school and completed my high school to look good on my millitary application along with working full time for more then 3 years and gained a trade as a flat roofer.  At the moment I am almost 20 years old and have a young child and a the begging buds of a family but I got a couple bone sin the closet which is gut wrenching.  Whn I was fiften almost sixteen I was hanging out with the wrong crowd and got mingled in with some skinheads which I HAVE distanced myself from now but before I did was was charged and convicited of 4 Aggrivated Assaults, 2 weapons charges, 2 Breachs of a court order, one of a bail condition where I was accused of threatening a material witnss and another breach of probation where I had fleed my home province for over a year and 1 count of damage under 5000$. I have not reoffended since I was sixteen years old and have spend time ina  youth jail, more then a year on deffered custody and more then four years on probation I was released only two months ago.  Keep in mind that was all under the youth criminal justice act and I have not reoffended in a long time and I had my probation lifted early and the judge remarked that he was pleased to release me after seeing how much progress I had made after attending anger mnagement and several other courses.  Anyways I was told youth records don't matter when you join the millitary but one as extensive as mine is is even plausable that I will pass the reliability screen and be able to join.  I am going in for finger printing tommorow to finish my applicatio.  I want to hear from someone with experience in thsi field thank you.

As your offences were all under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, they will not be brought into play with regards to reliability status or anything of that nature. The nature or severity of the offences doesn't come into play when the offences are under the YCJA.

The only way they could affect you would be if a disposition was still in effect, which you already stated is not the case, or if you were working in a position with youth (e.g. CIC), in which case they may show up on a Vulnerable Sector Screening (I'm not entirely certain what exactly shows up on these). However, unless a VSS is required (only for CIC, or PRes or RegF having unsupervised contact with cadets, to my knowledge), it will not come into play, and the CF cannot discriminate based on the youth record.

Are you sure of this information?  Or is this an educated guess?

Sections 118 to 129 of the YCJA specifically prohibit the disclosure of information relating to youth offences to very specific criteria. In a quick perusal, I found nothing that would permit the disclosure of these records to the CF. Further to that, section 82(3)(c) specifically prohibits it from being used against an applicant to the CF.

82(3)(c) does no such thing. It only requires that the Canadian Forces application form doesnt have a question on it requiring the applicant to disclose a youth conviction.

The answer is- it depends. Several of those offences require you to have been rearrested (the breaches etc) and the seriousness of the offences (4 aggravated assaults) would suggest you may have a lifetime weapons prohibition. I believe for youthes it may be discretionary. So the answer is- nobody can really tell you without knowing dates, and court orders. Your CPIC and background checks would be extremely convoluted and may or may not cause you issue. For example, a fellow recently was turned away due to his weapons prohibition due to his violence convictions. He had a pardon but his prohibitions were still hangin around.

Also, they may affect your ability to obtain a security clearance. Even reliability so that would also exclude you from the forces depending on the rules governing the clearances that day.

The only way you can know is if you apply- worst thing is they dont accept you. But it wont hurt to try- either way you lose nothing and can possibly gain. Thats not a bad situation.

Also- keep in mind that if you commit another offence over the next few years its going to bring forward all your youth convictions and they'll be on your record permanent. So if you get tempted by the wrong people again- you have alot more to lose than they do. Things that might get other people warned would probably result in charges for you since you've got a track record. I've seen it happen.

If things are the way you say they are I hope it works out for you (genuine)

You are correct on 82(3)(c). My apologies for misreading.

However, at the end of the access period (which after looking again, may not be for a little bit yet - 5 years after completion of sentence on an indictable offence as per 119(2)), the data pertaining to his offences would be purged from CPIC, with the exception of any prohibition order, IAW 128(4). His CPIC check would therefore not be the least bit convoluted after this time period concludes (assuming no prohibition order).

For this part, assume no prohibition order. WRT the security clearance, could you elaborate on how this could affect him (I'm not entirely in the loop on how they work at this time)? Section 128 states that at the end of the access period, all records, both court and police, are to be forwarded to the librarian and archivist of Canada or the province and they cannot be personally identified (126), as even court orders would not permit it (127(4)).

To the OP: as Container said, keep working forward with your application. You have nothing to lose and much to gain. Also, please try to use better spelling and grammar in your next post, as this is part of the guidelines for use of the site.

Edit to fix error with access period.

I'm about to apply for the ROTP program. I have one concern about the interview process :

I picked up a criminal record when I was in high school. It's going to be erased in one month because of its nature, and my age at the time of the crime. Technically, it should literally disappear, and it should never haunt me afterwards.

My thought is that it's a better idea for me to wait until after next month to apply to avoid complications in my application process. However, I might be asked if I committed any criminal offenses in my lifetime.

Considering that my criminal file is going to be completely erased, and wanting to be honest during my interview process, what should I say? I don't want to tell them everything if I don't have to, but I'm also worried that I might be accused of lying in the odd instance that the file somehow pops up in the background check.

Thank you very much

Back