• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brihard said:
What a gong show...

Certainly taking the air out of this...

The CBC explained, to their credit, that due to COVID, they could only have a certain amount of counters and verifiers in the same room, hence why it’s slow going.

Also they underestimated the amount of actual ballots they got.  175K.  That is quite something for a leadership race.

Still a gong show though but I can cut them a little slack.

stellarpanther said:
So assuming Mackay wins, what right does he have to sit in the HoC during question period if he is not an MP?

He doesn't... he'll run in a by-election and by custom because he is Leader of the Opposition, the other parties won't even contest it.

stellarpanther said:
So assuming Mackay wins, what right does he have to sit in the HoC during question period if he is not an MP?

None.

ballz said:
He doesn't... he'll run in a by-election and by custom because he is Leader of the Opposition, the other parties won't even contest it.

So Toronto center?

It's an option, it might be an interesting move to do so because 1) it's a Liberal strong-hold and 2) if the Liberals planned on putting Mark Carney in there....

ballz said:
It's an option, it might be an interesting move to do so because 1) it's a Liberal strong-hold and 2) if the Liberals planned on putting Mark Carney in there....

Its definitely a high risk, high reward move. They'd have to be pretty sure they'd win the riding to do that.

ballz said:
That would depend on where he runs.
If it is a Liberal stronghold he will face strong opposition.
If a Conservative gives up his/hers seat in a Conservative strong hold than it wouldn't be contested too hard by the Liberals. But if out West, Wexit would contest it as best they can. Winning a seat would give the Party a big boost. In Alberta if the NDP were the number 2 party in the last election than the NDP would also try for the seat hoping the Conservatives and Wexit split the right vote.

I think it would be more of a bind to put the Liberals in... I don't think the Liberals would want to break a custom almost as old as politics when they can just have one of their sitting MPs step aside for Mark Carney.

Plus at the same time, every seat in Parliament right now is pretty value given that it's a minority government.

If the Liberals contested it with Mark Carney I don't think any Conservative would stand a chance.

X Royal said:
That would depend on where he runs.
If it is a Liberal stronghold he will face strong opposition.

Like I said, there's a longstanding custom that when a new leader is selected for the Opposition party, that the seat is not contested so as to allow the Leader into the House so he can do his job.

So what you're saying is not a given, in fact it'd be an anomaly. But we do live in interesting times...

With a minority situation I doubt the LPC will give up any of “their” seats or riding.

I see someone stepping down to make room.

To not contest a seat is a tradition that never should have started, IMO.  Every seat should be contested if they have the ability to do so.

dapaterson said:
Nope.  The PM must be a MP as they are the head of government.

There is nothing in our constitution thats says that the PM has to be a MP. The only requirement is that they are a leader who enjoys the confidence of the House. So technically they don't even have to be a Canadian citizen, they could be a ten year old, or even a dog if the party felt like it.

I think if Mackay wins I can't see anyone stepping down to offer him a seat before the confidence vote.

So after the first ballot, MacKay looks to be in trouble.

Leslyn Lewis did really well. 

Sloan eliminated.

Remius said:
So after the first ballot, MacKay looks to be in trouble.

Leslyn Lewis did really well. 

Sloan eliminated.

I feel like those who picked Sloan first are more likely to have voted for O'Toole.

Yeah, I think maybe most most of Sloan’s vite may have gone to Lewis but probably enough of that also went to O’Toole over MacKay.

Remius said:
Yeah, I think maybe most most of Sloan’s vite may have gone to Lewis but probably enough of that also went to O’Toole over MacKay.

MacKay is the only Red Tory in the race, it's going to go to. The thrid ballot, but I think that OToole might actually take it.

MacKay has a slim chance now.  O’Toole likely has this unless Lewis makes major gains and rides up the middle.

Both those scenarios are unlikely though.

Remius said:
MacKay has a slim chance now.  O’Toole likely has this unless Lewis makes major gains and rides up the middle.

I would love to see liberals try and call Lewis racist when she disagrees with them on something.

Remius said:

Same system that let Scheer run up the middle in the last vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back