• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jarnhamar said:
Black Americans who voted for Trump got called nazis and racists.

If you want to talk Trump, we have a US Politics forum for that.

mariomike said:
If you want to talk Trump, we have a US Politics forum for that.

No need to be  like that my friend, it's entirely relevant AND you manage to inject Trump comments into just as many topics, if not more, than I do.

Jarnhamar said:
No need to be  like that my friend, it's entirely relevant AND you manage to inject Trump comments into just as many topics, if not more, than I do.

Right you are, my friend. I put my reply in US Politics.

I'll admit I don't know much, if anything, about MacKay. He's got an Iranian wife who seems pretty entrenched in humanitarian business?

Not to succumb to identity politics but a saucy part of me wants Dr Leslyn Lewis to win just to mess with the Liberals and their conservative white male racist rwar grandstanding. We seen how ineffective Jody Wilson-Rayboulds intersectionality  was when crossing JT so I'm curious what kind of attacks the LPC would make on the good doctor.

Also will she repeal the firearm laws and let us conceal carry assault rifles?  :dunno:

Jarnhamar said:
I'll admit I don't know much, if anything, about MacKay.

Me neither. Seems like a nice guy. Apparently he wants to march in this year's Pride parade in Toronto.

If he prefers something a little more tame, there's the Newmarket Pride parade with Doug.

mariomike said:
Me neither. Apparently he wants to march in this year's Pride parade in Toronto. If decides for something a little more tame, there's the Newmarket Pride parade with Doug.

Does someone have to march in the Toronto pride parade for it to count though? Is the pride parade a Toronto or break kind of thing?
What if Peter marched in the Ottawa or Montreal or Calabogie parade?

Jarnhamar said:
Does someone have to march in the Toronto pride parade for it to count though? Is the pride parade a Toronto or break kind of thing?
What if Peter marched in the Ottawa or Montreal or Calabogie parade?

Since he apparently lives in Toronto, it's probably an easier commute.

Jarnhamar said:

It goes back 39 years to "Operation Soap".  Maybe back in the day it meant more than it does now.

I can assure you nooooobody! ( That's for you, Mayor Mel! He rode a vintage fire truck in it and seemed to have a great time. ) has to march in it to get my vote. Rob used to go to the cottage that weekend. I didn't blame him. There's an awfully funny pic of him at City Hall standing all alone during the flag raising.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on it. I don't live downtown.

Chief Blair became the first chief of police in the city's history to personally take part in the parade. He marched alongside politicians of all parties, including several federal and provincial cabinet ministers and Mayor David Miller. I think Mayor Tory marches in it too.

I've worked it when I was mandated to. 

It sets attendance records. That's a lot of voters from across Canada.

I think in the old days, politicians were maybe more free to go their own way on the Pride parade.

But, these days, you've got to play ball - if you want to get in and stay in.

[quote author=mariomike]

[/quote]

Great insight MM, I couldn't agree more. You gotta play ball.

It doesn't have anything to do with attending *a* Pride parade. It's about attending *thee* Pride parade, which is Toronto.

Anything less that Toronto Pride is considered heresy and, no offense, as you yourself eluded to when Ford wen to Newmarket, something to be ridiculed.

Pride has turned into identity politics. I can't help but smile at the thought of so called progressives being deflated when Peter made this chess move.

Who ever the CPC candidate will be is going to spend the whole time walking on egg shells and catering to this "well what about THIS minefield topic" game.

Jarnhamar said:
Who ever the CPC candidate will be is going to spend the whole time walking on egg shells and catering to this "well what about THIS minefield topic" game.

Doesn't mean you've got to believe any of it, or even do anything. Just that you've got to get along and play ball.

Every married guy must know that.  :)

I rarely find anything of value in MacLean's (or from Scott Gilmore for that matter) but this one actually has some good points:

Ten things that would guarantee the new CPC leader is a winner

Scott Gilmore: So you want to be the next prime minister? Just follow my simple list—or you’re a doomed fool.
by Scott GilmoreJan 31, 2020

Every columnist holds it as a self-evident truth that any politician can be elected and then preside over a period of unmatched peace and prosperity if (and only if) the candidate adopts all the views of said columnist.

The political punditry, by definition, believe what they want is obviously what Canadians want and therefore any politician who can’t see that is a doomed fool.

I am no different. I am unshakeably confident that if the new leader of the Conservative Party of Canada simply adopts my wish list below, they would swiftly be elevated into 24 Sussex, or into whatever AirBnB that will be housing our next prime minister.

To save me the trouble of sending this to each and every candidate, I’m publishing my list here and would encourage anyone who aspires to lead this country to clip and save it in their wallet for future reference.

To see his ten points, go here:

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/ten-things-that-would-guarantee-the-new-cpc-leader-is-a-winner/

:cheers:

FJAG said:
this one actually has some good points:

They are interesting,

1 ) Nonetheless, over 70 per cent of the population now lives in a metropolitan area, and that proportion is growing. Not surprisingly, they aren’t voting Tory.

2 ) It is no longer a national political party, but a western alienation movement.

3 ) We are not only growing more urban, but we are becoming less white and less straight. The role of women in the workplace and household continues to evolve.

4 ) Canadians will embrace a politician they trust, someone who is self-evidently honest, someone who can still blush.

5 ) the vast majority of the jack-assery is coming from the CPC benches

6 ) Believe in climate change.

7 ) Now, it eschews market mechanisms like a carbon tax in favour of half-baked incentives, regulations and subsidies.

8 ) I want the next leader of the CPC to not care who I sleep with, what I smoke or what gender I choose.

9 ) Andrew Scheer ran on a very vague platform. Doug Ford didn’t have one at all.

10 ) They love to revel in the cheers of their hard core base, and to point fingers at other conservatives who aren’t as conservative as them. This will only keep you in opposition.

11 ) the CPC is not popular among female voters.

I find the site useful as well, as I will be looking for green light candidates. Much harder to find a green light candidate vs red ones.

milnews.ca said:
Different take on the same angle ....
... When questions turned to his leadership campaign, MacKay said he wanted to raise the bar for political discourse.

“I'm at a point now with some further private sector experience and some reflection that I'd like to do politics a little differently,” he said.

“Everybody says that but having been in it and left and coming back to it, I think I bring a new level of compassion, a new level of understanding of perhaps how things could work on a practical level and I'd also like, and everybody says this, but I would like to see some civility."

In response, CTV News questioned MacKay about a tweet his account sent out on Saturday, which criticized Trudeau for using $876.95 in Liberal party donations for yoga sessions, spa visits and other health club expenses.

MacKay said he did not agree with the tweet.

“That was something that happened that I'm not proud of,” he said. “I don't have the opportunity always to vet every single thing that goes on that social media account and so we are going to do better.”

It was then that MacKay’s media handlers shut down the interview.

“I think we're done,” said one. “You just went way over. I'm sorry,” another one added.

“She's just doing her job, she's a journalist” MacKay said ...

mariomike said:
It goes back 39 years to "Operation Soap".  Maybe back in the day it meant more than it does now.

I can assure you nooooobody! ( That's for you, Mayor Mel! He rode a vintage fire truck in it and seemed to have a great time. ) has to march in it to get my vote. Rob used to go to the cottage that weekend. I didn't blame him. There's an awfully funny pic of him at City Hall standing all alone during the flag raising.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on it. I don't live downtown.

Chief Blair became the first chief of police in the city's history to personally take part in the parade. He marched alongside politicians of all parties, including several federal and provincial cabinet ministers and Mayor David Miller. I think Mayor Tory marches in it too.

I've worked it when I was mandated to. 

It sets attendance records. That's a lot of voters from across Canada.

I think in the old days, politicians were maybe more free to go their own way on the Pride parade.

Considering how the Pride organizers here treated the Vancouver PD (who have worked hard to be inclusive)  I would tell them to piss up a rope, until the Pride parade becomes more inclusive and less judgemental of others.

Colin P said:
Considering how the Pride organizers here treated the Vancouver PD (who have worked hard to be inclusive)  I would tell them to piss up a rope, until the Pride parade becomes more inclusive and less judgemental of others.

Political candidates don't have to attend.

mariomike said:
I've only been to the one in Toronto when mandated. 

Nobody can order a political candidate to attend a parade.

No but a certain part of our society sure does villianize politicians for not attending Pride paradesPride Toronto parades.

Speaking of which I wonder if Pride Toronto ever released the dollar amount of what it's organizers were stealing.

Jarnhamar said:
No but a certain part of our society sure does villianize politicians for not attending Pride paradesPride Toronto parades.

Speaking of which I wonder if Pride Toronto ever released the dollar amount of what it's organizers were stealing.

I could care less who goes, or doesn't go. 

Not sure why some seem so obsessed with them.

mariomike said:
Political candidates don't have to attend.

Most members of this site know that "you don't have to attend" is translated as "you're in a world of shit if we don't see you there".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back