• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cormorant Down-July 13/ 2006

Strike,

I've finished reading the report (I'm glad it had a glossary!). As you stated, the problems in training seem to be due to a culture that does not fully appreciate the value of automation in modern aircraft. The CH149 pilot training course was not updated to take into account the increased automation as a result of the transition from the Labrador to the CH149. This combined with the restrictions on flight time due to the tail rotor crack meant that the crews of 413 (TR) Squadron expressed a lack of confidence in their own proficiency. These restrictions focused on possible mechanical failure at the expense of necessary training time.
As well, the opportunity to use the flight simulator in the UK more frequently seemed to have been disregarded by the higher-ups. I hope that the CH149 pilot training course has been updated and that crews are given more access to the flight simulators and are directed to make full use of the automation available in such a sophisticated craft as the EH-101. Old habits are hard to break, I know.

Having read the report, it seems to me that for all of this to happen, there has to be a cultural change in the military bureaucracy which will allow for a quicker acceptance of advances in technology and the incorporation of these advances in the training programs.

I`m very sorry about the loss of life but happy for you that your buddy did get out. Next time you see him, tell him that there is one more civilian out there who has a much deeper appreciation for what you guys do.  :cdn:

Richie

It is all well and good to say that Canadian pilots should take more advantage of tha UK Simulator, but what isn't quite so easy to see is how little benefit there is into flying across 8? maybe seven time zones, (from Comox to UK) flying two days of simulator, then getting back into the jet and flying back. Not to mention tha CF induced stopover to prevent having to book business class seats. you then have a completely jet lagged pilot or FE (flight Engineer), who is required to get right back on tha flying schedule, so someone else  can go to England. Do that twice a year, then I will ask you if you want more simulator time. How about building a Sim in Canada? North America even. I hope tha US101 project will come with a simulator that will be able to be configed for Cormorant.

Richie,

Thanks for reading the report.  I would have explained all that it said to you myself, but in a situation as complex as this it's better for you to get it straight from the horse's mouth.

kj_gully said:
It is all well and good to say that Canadian pilots should take more advantage of tha UK Simulator, but what isn't quite so easy to see is how little benefit there is into flying across 8? maybe seven time zones, (from Comox to UK) flying two days of simulator, then getting back into the jet and flying back. Not to mention tha CF induced stopover to prevent having to book business class seats. you then have a completely jet lagged pilot or FE (flight Engineer), who is required to get right back on tha flying schedule, so someone else  can go to England. Do that twice a year, then I will ask you if you want more simulator time. How about building a Sim in Canada? North America even. I hope tha US101 project will come with a simulator that will be able to be configed for Cormorant.

I agree that taking a crewman suffering from jet lag and just slotting him back in the flying schedule is not a good idea. I would have thought that the military would give you a day off to lose the jet lag before putting you back in the schedule.
One thing that surprised me about all of this is that we bought fifteen very advanced helicopters but didn't get a simulator. I'm not in the military and I'm not a pilot, so I'll ask if that is normal or was it a cost cutting measure on the government's part?

Finally, as you mentioned, if the Americans go for the EH-101 as the new Marine One, I'm sure they will get a simulator and hopefully you folks can use it!

Strike said:
Richie,

Thanks for reading the report.  I would have explained all that it said to you myself, but in a situation as complex as this it's better for you to get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Yes, you could have just told me what was in the report, but then I wouldn't have learned nearly as much as I did. If I'm trying to understand something, I prefer to have people do just what you did, i.e. point me in the right direction and let me read and learn for myself.  :)

Richie

Back