• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cormorant Down-July 13/ 2006

Gramps

Reaction score
Three people were killed and four injured early this morning in a helicopter crash during a Canadian Forces search and rescue training exercise off Canso, Nova Scotia.

The CH-149 Cormorant helicopter from 413 Transport and Rescue Squadron ditched at about 12:30 a.m. AT, the air force said in a brief news release.

Names of the victims and the injured were not released.

Military aircraft and Canadian Coast Guard vessels were on the scene.

RCMP from Canso were also assisting in the recovery operation.

Military spokesman Capt. John Pulchny says the four injured personnel have been rescued, while a recovery effort continues for the bodies of the victims.

Pulchny says the cause of the crash is not immediately clear.

More to come.

© The Canadian Press, 2006

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2006/07/13/scotia-crash.html

Same basic story but with a little more info from The Halifax Herald.

Three dead, four injured in military chopper crash off Nova Scotia

By The Canadian Press
ADVERTISEMENT

CANSO -- Three military personnel were killed and four injured early Thursday morning in a helicopter crash during a Canadian Forces search and rescue training exercise off Canso.

The air force said the CH-149 Cormorant helicopter from 413 Transport and Rescue Squadron ditched in the water around 12:30 a.m.

Names of the victims and the injured were not released.

Military spokesman Capt. John Pulchny said the four injured personnel were pulled from the water, while a recovery effort continued for the bodies of the victims.

``Three crew members were found dead and are now being recovered by rescue personnel,'' Pulchny said in an interview.

Pulchny said the cause of the crash was not immediately clear.

He added that while weather conditions were not good in the area at the time of the crash, he did not know if severe weather may have played a part in the tragic mishap.

``As far as we understand, it (the crash) just came out of the blue -- a sudden call by a coast guard vessel, in fact, that the helicopter had ditched,'' said Pulchny.

Military aircraft and Canadian Coast Guard vessels were on the scene.

RCMP from Canso were also assisting in the recovery operation.

Pulchny said one of the survivors was taken to hospital in Halifax, while the other three injured crew members remained in the Canso area.

http://www.herald.ns.ca/Front/9001021.html

Gramps thanks for the update..our thoughts and prayers are with the families.

New pics on CTV - looks like the front has been sheered right off, although they may have broken it while loading onto the CCG ship.

RIP heroes.  :salute:

My condolences to those who knew the three that lost their lives.

whiskey601 said:
New pics on CTV - looks like the front has been sheered right off, although they may have broken it while loading onto the CCG ship.

RIP heroes.  :salute:

Here is an updated article:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060713/nova_scotia_crash_060713/20060713?hub=TopStories

My condolences to the families of the personnel killed and a speedy recovery to those injured in this accident.

My condolances to the families and friends of the members who died...  :salute:  :cdn:

:cdn: Sympathy and prayers for those who were lost and their loved ones...God's speed in recovery to those who were injured  :cdn:

HL

My heartfelt condolences goes out to the families and friends of the SAR Crew.  I was there when 305 went down and it was a trying time for the Squadron and Wing.
"That Others May Live"
--formerly from 14 Wing TN

My thoughts and prayers to the families and friends. Good recovery for those injured in the accident.  :salute:

So others may live............RIP boys...and a speedy recovery for the others :salute:

My thoughts are with the injured, their family, friends and the squadron family. RIP to the 3, you truly gave your lives in the purist of endeavours. :salute: :cdn:

My condolences and prayers to the families, friends and unit and I wish a speedy recovery to the injured.

My thoughts are with their families and friends. Speedy and full recovery to the injured. Rest in peace.  :cdn:

Deceased have been IDed

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2006/07/13/scotia-crash.html

Military officials in Nova Scotia identified the dead as Sgt. Dwayne Brazill, Master Cpl. Kirk Noel and Cpl. Trevor McDavid.

Again - I am truely sorry for the loss.

My condolences to the families and friends. RIP and I pray for a quick recovery for the injured. :cdn: :salute:

Sgt. Dwayne Brazill was FE, Master Cpl. Kirk Noel and Cpl. Trevor McDavid were SAR tech. For the last 2 names I'm not sure so if someone can confirm that please do so.
If Cpl Trevor Mcdavid was SAR tech, he just graduated his SAR tech course here in Comox June 15th.
Thats sad.

Back