• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Contrasting the Regular Force and the Primary Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I‘ll tell you where it should start first of all get rid of the weekend wonder courses taught by unqualified and unexperienced NCOs.I have taugh on several Reserve QL 3 courses and I must sy the quality of troops that we were getting was patheic,I don‘t know what is taught on a Reserve QL 2 but of all of the courses I have taught not a single one of the troops that were received shouldhave even been there,they were not much better than civies of of the street.The quality of the Reserve NCOs was very poor as well their methods of Instruction and wepons skills were very weak,as was drill and deportment..There were some exceptions but as a rule they should not have passed their JLC (which is a joke anyway).There is no reason why the Reserve Rcruit cannot be trained QL2/3 all in one shot over the summer,his would allow for standards to be maintained across the board at the basic training level.
Reserve NCOs must have some type of assesment to go on course just like in the Regs time in should not be the deciding factor but job knowledge and skill..which is not the case now.There should be a program instituted to have reserve units conduct training with Reg forces in short there should be only one QL4,5,6A,6B standard as is not the case.

Holy crap..Tom...something we agree on....I‘ll get the next beer. I agree that standards are not the same and that includes PT. The standards for the forces in general have been declining. The BFT use to be done over 2 days. Now its a 13 Km + firemen’s carry. The BFT is not monitory in the Res. Its left up to the individual to stay fit and there is nothing that a Res SNCO can do to

I have been lucky enough that most of my courses (last being 6A) were all run by the Reg force. I feel that the standard should be the same. Your not going to be able to put 6 months worth of stuff into 2 months and you wouldn‘t have too. There is equipment covered on the Reg courses that we will never see. So if the reg force course teaches A, B, C and D. If "C" is for A.D.A.T.S. (example only). We will never see it...So the Res course would be A,B and D Keep the same standard, but only teaching what is absolutely relevant. Another thing is that the Reg force guys have excellent faculties on base for physical training. Unless you’re on full time staff the average Res soldiers has to pay for a gym membership. So if more facilities could be made available, then actually setting a standard that must be met....that would also help.

Cheers :cdn:

I have to agree on the standards issue. I‘ve been in the Reserves a meer 9 years or so. My QL2/QL3 ran the entire summer, 8 weeks straight if I remember correctly, plus GMT back at my Regiment prior to my departure to Pet in the summer. It was RCR run with both REG and RES instructors. Apparently, the year before that the RCD taught and the year before that, the Airborne!
I have seen things deteriorate over the years. I don‘t have a big issue with Unit run courses, as I took two QL4‘s at my Regiment. But, when I hear about what is taught on the new BMQ‘s, it‘s a disgrace. Lowering the age to 16 now to? (RES anyway), wow! REG and RES standards should be equal, if not, how can a Reservist be expected to properly augment the REG‘s when the time comes? Leaving out equipment shortages as that is a major issue in the RES and will never be fixed!

Having the same standard, in terms of dress, deportment, dedication, and professionalism, on courses, should be a given. Frequently it is not. That should not be.
I can‘t think of any reserve instructor who is not lamenting the loss of more demanding courses. Course content, as well as restrictions imposed by political correctness has been foisted on us from on high.
Expecting reservists to attend 7 month courses as routine is not possible, however.
Eliminating kit that reservists will never see is only a partial solution. Distance learning, and other more creative solutions would help as well.

I think we need to take one pace step back, and keep in mind that Regular and Reserve units have different resources and focuses. Each side will claim the other is better off, and there is generally alot of hair pulling and chest beating about the issue.
The point is each component has a role to perform, and each component does what it can, given it‘s imposed limitations.
We should move past this, and concentrate on on solutions, not on our differences

You‘re right on. When I first joined the military over 27 years ago, the Regs hating the Res was a fact of life and the majority of Regs felt that way. It slowly has gotten better where now just a few of the die hard "old boys" still feel that way, but they are probably the same ones that think females don‘t belong in the military except as cooks & clerks. (Let‘s not even go there ha ha) I was initially a bit shocked to see the issue is still "thriving", but after thinking it over, I believe that it‘s the minority and things ARE getting better. ;)

I think you are right when you say that things are getting better. I‘ve seen an improvement in the 8 years I‘ve been in.

:cdn:

I‘m really disappointed by the childish remarks earlier in this thread (I‘ve been busy and away on TD, so I haven‘t been reading this until now).

Winners are not whiners, and
A loser is a loser, whether Reg or Res.

I‘ve only got 25 years in, thus I hope you will forgive me for being bored by purile insults by "anonymous heroes" (and, no - I‘m not going to "whip mine out" so we can compare).

As Albert Einstein said:
Not everything that counts is counted, and
not everything that is counted counts.

Adieu for now - I‘ve got better things to do (and read) - I look forward to reading intellectually stimulating comments elsewhere.

P.S. (if somebody were as good a soldier as he purports to be, perhaps he‘d realise his "signature block" in not in accordance with QR&Os/CFAOs/DAODs ... or could it be that his insecurity/lack of self-esteem leads him to believe there are one set of rules for everybody else, but a special set of rules for him ... ? Perhaps he should reconsider peeing in the pickle jar)

Finally!!!
An island of sanity, in a sea of self pity, mediocrity and self loathing. Some people just can‘t stand the truth. Self styled importance = infantile issues of self worth.

I would propose that if this issue, ever again, rears it‘s childish head that the more mature users of this forum not answer, debate, defend or attack. Just let it die the it‘s well deserved, unanswered death.

If you find a need to bolster your ego by discounting others who try to the best of their abilities, go to SOCNET. They will surely tell you how to get your cranium out of your rectum, ...without the niceties.

Yes...bossi and suffield. You are right. However, it may be a childish argument..but its there, its a underliying problem at all ranks and it does not help. I have experance this first hand and it is a form of prejuduce that is perpetuated. A solution needs to be worked out to stop that way of thought. We just can‘t stick our heads in the sand... :cdn:

And if this is the only topic we can truly bitche about, then the army must A-Okay.

No wonder I have other things to do. :rolleyes:

ladies and Gentlemen,
Why reserves do not work when called up in peacetime, from the BBC.
Yours, Jock in Sydney

Tuesday, 25 June, 2002, 16:42 GMT 17:42 UK
US reservists feel the strain
Thousands of US reservists have been mobilised

By Nick Childs
BBC Pentagon correspondent

One of the hallmarks of the US war on terror since 11 September has been the number of National Guard and reservist personnel who have been mobilised.

They are everywhere, from the front lines in Afghanistan to airport security lines back home.

The Navy Operations Centre, in the Pentagon, is run by reservists

Thousands volunteered for duty, but for many the length of the campaign brings special problems.

Deep in the heart of the Pentagon is the US Navy Operations Centre. It is the hub of communications between the fleets and the Chief of Naval Operations, the head of the US Navy.

Vital role

When the USS Cole was blown up in Yemen two years ago, the first call the commanding officer made was to the operations centre.

It is run by reservists, people who give up their time - and in some cases put their jobs on hold - to work there.

Commander Neal Bundo, of the US Navy Reserve, is the battle watch captain in charge of the centre.

He is also one of the 85,000 National Guard and reservists - men and women - currently mobilised for duty.

"Most people I‘ve talked to say they want to know some way they can contribute to the effort since 11 September," he says.

"I am privileged I can do so at this level."

‘Total force‘

But while he says his position is a privilege, it has its strains too. The Pentagon operates what it calls a "total force" strategy.

The reserves are indispensable in time of war. But as the months drag on, some are worrying increasingly about will happen to their civilian jobs and their families.

The Pentagon is having to deal more and more with questions of morale.

The Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence for reserve affairs is Dr John Winkler.

How long are we going to pay the employee? How long should they remain on the job? The government doesn‘t provide any benefit for that

Peter Liashek, US Navy reserve
"We have been encouraging the services to bring people on active duty in the fewest numbers needed for the shortest period required," he says.

"Recently we have been working with them to advise us on how some demobilisations can occur."

Peter Liashek is a dental surgeon in Germantown, Maryland, and a captain in the US Navy Reserve.

Many reservists have had help from their employers over and above the call of duty since 11 September.

Salaries made up

As well as keeping their jobs open, the companies have paid the difference between their employees‘ military and civilian earnings.

But Mr Liashek is his own boss in a small practice which would present its own problems if he suddenly got the call to serve.

"Everything stops. So my concern is the employees," he says.

"How long are we going to pay the employee? How long should they remain on the job? The government doesn‘t provide any benefit for that."

But for Mr Liashek and his family, for other reservists and for Americans in general, the country changed course on 11 September.

Whatever the upheavals, he says he would have no problems if the call came tomorrow.

I am starting to feel that this problem will not be solved here...so if we can only come up with b*tch*s and no solution...maybe its time to move onto other subjects. :cdn:

Me and about 180 reservists have been busting our balls to keep our jobs for the upcoming roto. We have been getting the cock left right and center to make sure our slack and idle bodies dont look like the retarded younger brother of the regforce guys. Being able to watch Delta Coy from the outside (as I have a different posting) they have been acting more professional than most of the other units whether it be on parade or on patrol. And I have the regs say it to. Sure we have our share of ****pumps but so does everyone else.

As we do our job and our cocky overconfident attitudes to ourselves its all good.

Im just wondering what exactly is the beef between the reg force and the reserve forces. What does the reg force think about the reserves (in particular infantry)

Also i have question to learn as much as possible about feild operations I generally approach master corporals and seargants and ask them questions (in a social setting) I ask them for tips and tricks for the feild and dos and do nots. For the most part they are good hints until a individual told me the best idea if you carry the carl g is to get the BFA for it so mud doesnt get in it. My section commander laughed his *** off when i asked for it to be issued to me. I felt F***ing dumb when i thought about it.
My question is what tips and tricks can i trust or is that just dependent on who told me?

"Anything anyone tells you is a lie"
You have to decide for yourself whats true and whats not.
"The universe is my eyes and ears, all else is hearsay" hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Some tips will be good, others bad. It‘s up to you to take them all in and decide for yourself what works and what doesn‘t.
Reg force complains about the reserves. Reserves complain about the cadets. Its the natural pecking order thats all

If you do a search of these forums you will find some answers to that question. That topic has been covered before

I saw a BFA last week while in my platoon hide. It was going through my ruck sack. Stands for "Big F**king Animal".
Massive raven, about 70 pounds! I ran up to it waving my arms trying to scare it away but it just looked up at me, shook its head then went back to sorting through my ration pack. I decided to skip lunch due to the BFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back