• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfers (Reserve to Regular): Stories

Well the plan is to go either Res Inf or Amrd. pref. armd....

Im not so concerned about redoing upper phases... but IAP/BOTP would be a bummer after completing full Reserve training.

I had heard last year they were still putting Reservists on the phase I courses at CFLRS.... and it happend two years ago when I was there, but I dont know about now, with the shortage of training spots.....

anyone?

hey ya i am in the res inf and i have had my ct to reg f inf it has taken one year so far  i was accepted as skilled on oct 15 and they still haven't come up with a offer!!!  all i have been getting from my file manger; who  is a full time university student who is never in the office, always gives me the run a round ...... now it is x mas break and will not hear ant thing until i make my usaual bi weekly call to the old cfrc

Hey jhonnyt99 keep calliing the CFRC and if you're recruiter is not returning your call ask to speak with someone who will return your calls.  I had a slack-*ss recruiter who did nothing for me, and I mean zilch.  Thankfully the recruiter I have been dealing with lately is just the opposite, he's top notch, returns my calls promptly and almost always, if not always follows thru by contacting up the chain of command when there is a need to do so.

Remember, if you really want to CT then it takes a lot longer than a fresh civvy applying.  There's less paperwork to have to try and track down, less qualifications to be reviewed, etc.  So stick with it and eventually it will happen.  It only took me 3 yrs and about 2 or 3 months, and I'm QL5 Reservist with about 12 years in (lots of B time) and a civy journeyman in the same trade.  Go figure that one!

Cheers and good luck!

DME

I am currently doing a component transfer. I put my application into my reserve unit in June 04 then it sat there until late October 04, once the recruiting center received my application things picked up a bit.  Did my aptitude tests,medical and interview in early May 05 all on the same day! then since I am currently working on a class B contract I did my expres test in early June (this one is good for one year due to being conducted by PSP at the base gym) . The place I am working has been really supportive with un asked for calls to "friends" at the recruiting center (these are MWO's and CWO's making these calls). The latest info I got was that all they are waiting for is the security check response (which I find entertaining as I already hold a lot higher clearance). I keep being told that it should only be a few weeks now! Oh well all I can do is sit here and wait (at least I have a contract until the end of September!)

The latest info I got was that all they are waiting for is the security check response (which I find entertaining as I already hold a lot higher clearance). I keep being told that it should only be a few weeks now!

Are you tallking about the Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) and did you have to provide fingerprints?

san said:
I am surprised you had to go through all of that for a CT?

I'm not.  I just CT'd last week.  From application to enrolment it took 14 months, so I had to in fact do the express test twice.

I find it odd that you are waiting on the reliability check.  My CFRC would not interview me until mine came back GTG.  The hurdles that I experienced were:

1.  Getting my file from my unit to the correct CFRC.  Approximately a 6-month delay as my Pers File had not returned through LFCA and CBG from when I was on tour.

2.  Waited for 20 odd days of Christmas leave to be completed

3.  Waited 2-3 weeks for reliability check,

4.  Waited 6 weeks for RMC applicants to be processed and interviewed etc.

5.  Waited 2 months for managing authority and MOC selection board to sit.

6.  Waited 1 month for offer.

7.  Waited 3 weeks for RMC applicants to be enrolled before getting any direction.

8.  Waited 1 business day from the date of enrolment until the time I boarded a plane.

I called CFRC every 2 to 3 weeks once I knew they had my file up until the day before I enrolled.  The only thing that happened without my direct prodding was the offer.

Maybe you can clarify the "component transfer"?  Is that not between Army / Air / Navy?

san said:
Maybe you can clarify the "component transfer"?   Is that not between Army / Air / Navy?
Actually it is between reserve force and regular force!

Thanks .... In that case, I'm not surprised.  I'm also not surprised by your experience waiting for the file to go through.

Best of Luck!

san

kincanucks said:
The latest info I got was that all they are waiting for is the security check response (which I find entertaining as I already hold a lot higher clearance). I keep being told that it should only be a few weeks now!

Are you tallking about the Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) and did you have to provide fingerprints?
Yes and yes

Sigop2004 said:
Yes and yes

Ahhh so it possible that you did something illegal and you find that entertaining because you already have already have higher clearance?  For those that don't know, every person who wants to transfer must have an update ERC done because things can change between the time a reservist is enrolled and when they transfer.  Things like criminal convistions and credit problems.  Actually, it should be a few more months.

doesnt the military keep on top of things like that? I know a few Reservists who found themselves in a bind with the law, and the CF was hot on their heels, maybe moreso than the police were...

It usually has to be brought to someone's attention before it becomes known to the C.O.   There is also an obligation of a member to notify the C.O. of any ongoing problems with things like criminal investigations or money problems.  Can someone confirm?

san said:
It usually has to be brought to someone's attention before it becomes known to the C.O.   There is also an obligation of a member to notify the C.O. of any ongoing problems with things like criminal investigations or money problems.   Can someone confirm?

Yes there is an obligation for the member to keep his CO informed and the MPs check with the local police and courts on a regular basis but if something happens out of the area it can sometimes be missed and the member thinks they can hide it.  I am not saying that is what happened in this particular case though.

kincanucks said:
Ahhh so it possible that you did something illegal and you find that entertaining because you already have already have higher clearance?   For those that don't know, every person who wants to transfer must have an update ERC done because things can change between the time a reservist is enrolled and when they transfer.   Things like criminal convistions and credit problems.   Actually, it should be a few more months.

The reason for the fingerprints actually happened back in 95 and I have gone through a security clearance update (including interviews with NIS etc just 2 years ago and was re-cleared to my current security level) I have even done an overseas UN tour since this event .  I do realize that it is going to take longer than usual and will just be waiting anyway.

I wonder if it would take as long if you were doing a CT to go to Dwyer Hill?

Vigilant said:
I wonder if it would take as long if you were doing a CT to go to Dwyer Hill?
probably not as I would just be put on class "c" service and everything I currently have would follow me.

Vigilant said:
Don't you have to formally CT though, because of the contract?

Actually no it is just a contract that gives all of the benefits of regular force but you are still a reservist. When that contract is done you just go back to being a regular reservist .

Back