• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfers (Reserve to Regular): Stories

Arctic Acorn said:
I actually just did the calculations with a clerk friend of mine. I have 4 years and 20 days time counted towards promotion...thats a lot of B and C time for a guy with only 5+ years in. Man, I suck...

That gets me to Cpl 0, which is too bad...Although I swore I'd never want to be a Private again, I'd pay a heck of a lot less when I buy back my reserve time. So, I won't lose my rank, and I'll jump straight to 25 days leave per year. Not too bad.

You wouldn't jump straight to 25 days leave. The 25 days starts after you start your fifth year.

Is it the 5th year? Ah well.

Yeah, RoKo, it happens. I know of one case in particular, but she got her Cpl's pretty quickly. Time in is time in, and they make exceptions for no one. 

Didja say hi to Johnson for me???

Ah, you learn something new every day. I would have thought that they would be shy about taking in people from the reserve into the regs unless they have experience.. But then again, I suppose you can have a tour under your belt and still not have enough equivalent time in to make CPL in the regs...

No, I haven't seen him recently. Although he's with our Pl, he doesn't live in the same city. He drives up when he gets the chance to.. He's a great guy to have around.

Next time I see him, I'll definatley tell him you said hi.

Now, I had over 3 years of PRes service.  However, I get a big fat zero for time credit or IPC levels when I enroll as DEO next month.  Supposedly, no PRes NCMs get time credit if they then go RegF DEO.  Does this sound right or have I gotten the shaft?

Casing, you should be able to buy that time back towards your pension, provided you have enough time in to buy. As stated before in this thread, it all depends on how many days you worked. My buddy had 3 years in and only was able to buy 6 months back for his pension.  As far as IPCs, a 2Lt makes about the same as a Cpl, so unless you were a WO in Res, it won't amount to squat.

Cheers

I'm fine with the IPC I got, but I was a little surprised by my file manager's comment that "no PRes NCMs going RegF DEO get any time credit at all".   Is there a DAOD or something somewhere that lays this out?

Not that I know of. Feel free to try and find it.

http://www.dnd.ca/admfincs/intro_e.asp

You can link to the QR&Os, CFAOs and DAODs from that site. There's a lot of bs in there, don't forget your rubber boots.

They don't credit a Res NCM with much when going Reg Officer, they don't even credit Reg NCM much when going Officer.   I'll give you an example of this, when I was on SLT I met a guy that was in 3 Commando CAR, when it disbanded he went JTF2, he was a WO that CFR'd (commissioned from the ranks), they made him do BOTC II. They made a bloody door kicker do BOTC II! Anyways, the point is, they don't credit squat for Res NCM's, a little more for Res Officers, and a little more for Reg NCMs.   In the end, everyone gets to Capt in 3 years and makes the same amount of money. I'm on Capt (PLT) IPC basic, I make more than a WO IPC 4 and less than an MWO IPC basic. My 4th year as a Capt and I'll be making more than a CWO IPC 4. I don't necessarily think that's right but that's the way it is.

Yes, I'm good with the IPC.  I was just hoping to be able to purchase some pensionable days back.  I'll get over it though since in the end it really wouldn't have amounted to whole lot anyway.  I did a quick browse through all those docs you linked to.  I thought I saw something last year in there about time credit but I didn't find it this time around.  No biggie.  Just happy to be swearing-in in 23 days!

I started out with 1 BN RNBR in Fredericton, NB. Spent four years there. Total weekend warrior.
I got out for a bit and moved around trying to see as much of Canada as I could. I ended up in Ottawa. Cash was low so I joined 28 SVC BN as a Veh Tech. Spent two years there (mostle class B) with a short trip to Borden for my QL3. I had just started my QL4 in Petawawa when I got the bug to go reg force. I liked the life and the perks that I could get. I figured I was ready.
So I picked my trade (not a mechanic) and started the process. Luckily I was sharing a house with a clerk. She and I did the paperwork ourselves and within a week I had everything ready for signatures. I had all the required ones within another two weeks and I hand carried my paperwork to the recruiting centre downtown. I had been given a name by my clerk friend and the MCpl took my file and went to work.
I am now reg force and have been working at a small station outside of Ottawa for 2 years now. I love my job.
Total time from start to finish to get my transfer was 3 months.....I started in Oct. and I showed up and my first reg force posting on Jan 8.
The lesson here is do as much of the work yourself as possible. Be prepared to pester people. Don't let your file go stale on someone's desk. I myself was getting out so I said "screw the chain of command". I didn't care if I stepped on some toes or if the O's got upset with me. I didn't want to wait.

The biggest problem I had with adjusting to reg force life was the PT. I was totally not ready for it. For the longest time I was always the last to finish our runs. It took me a long time to prove myself.

Arctic Acorn:

My component transfer was a complete horror show! It took about 11 years and 5 attempts to finally get my file through. All I ever wanted to do was go from R911 Sup Tech to 811 MP. Each time, my file was either sat on by pionty heads or misdirected.

The 4th attempt proved to be the most brutal and frustrating. After the past 3 failed attempts, I thought for sure my file would finally make it out and I would be gone to Reg Force Land....I was wrong. ::)

My file got misdirected and sent to Tulley's Pasture in archives, right next to some WW1 Vet! It took a year to get out of there! Brutal! :eek:

My final attempt finally worked but not before recruiting, (those sweet lovely individuals), contacted me and said the MP was closed and did I have another choice. I told them that I wanted MP only and I would wait. Recruiting stated that it would be at least 4-6 years before the trade would accept applications in, but if I went with another trade I could always OT (Occupational Transfer) to 811 MP. After 11 years of waiting to get into the Reg's, I said I would go Supply and OT out after words.

Boy if I could have that time back. ::)

I'm on my 6 attempt, (6th year and my last attempt) to try to get a OT to MP from the PSO. I'm a trained police officer with Police Foundations and Policing degree. I have countless Civilian Police contacting me for recruitment, but I still want MP. The 5th OT interview with the PSO said that I needed more training....?!

Just brutal! :mad:

So, my friend, make sure that what you get to be in the Reg's is what you want cause OT's are extremely difficult.

THEY MOST CERTAINLY ARE! :mad:

;)

Holy crap, WOG...I've heard some horror stories in my day, but that takes the cake. I hope you redressed your problem...yikes!

Ok.. here goes. I've been going thru this for almost a year now. I have only Class A days. 492 to be exact. I'm doing a component transfer to Regs, and I've been told I must re-do my BMQ which I did on a weekend course Jan04-Jun04. I've also been told by CFRG (via CFRG HQ) that even though I've apllied for Recruit School By-Pass, I've been denied, due to the fact I have only Class A days. What DATES do they use this little formula to make these calculations? I was sworn in in May03 as PTE(0) and now that May04 has passed I'm PTE(1). I've been offered a conditional offer over the phone, so nothing is signed yet. I don't want to re-do BMQ, especially when I was told by recruiting and my unit it will go towards my transfer, which was initiated in Jan04. No one seemed to know of this Class B time requirement in CFRC until this week, and my file has been sitting around for a few months, and I could've done QL3 this summer.

To make matters even more confusing, when and if I do get this whole situation figured out, because of the competition, I have QL6A, and considered a semi-skilled member. This seems to mean nothing to CRFC.

GuinnessDrinker

Arctic Acorn said:
I actually just did the calculations with a clerk friend of mine. I have 4 years and 20 days time counted towards promotion...thats a lot of B and C time for a guy with only 5+ years in. Man, I suck...

That gets me to Cpl 0, which is too bad...Although I swore I'd never want to be a Private again, I'd pay a heck of a lot less when I buy back my reserve time. So, I won't lose my rank, and I'll jump straight to 25 days leave per year. Not too bad.

It's a shitty deal when they calculate your time in, though. For anyone who is interested, they do count the B & C time 1 for 1, but the calculation for class A is a bit dodgy. They don't divide the specific number of class A days you served by four. Instead, they total the amount of time that you were on class A service. For example, if you served for two years doing only class A time, when they flip over, they take that two years (730 days), subtract any B & C time (lets say 50 days total). That gives you 680 days. Thats the number they divide by 1/4.

So, say you have two privates from the same unit, and they're both applying for a CT with two years in. Both joined on the same day, and were on the exact same courses (resulting in the same number of class B time). However:

Private A was a real keener, and he logged a shitload of class A time, volunteered for advance party and rear party duties to get extra money on weekened Ex's, and did all sorts of extra jobs at the unit. In short, lots and lots of Class A time.

Private B, once he finished his trades courses, only paraded the minimum. In fact, he paraded the minimum amount to keep his *** off the NES list. (1 class A day a month, or close to it).

When they do the calculations to determine time in credit for the regular force, they come out exactly the same. Since they were on class A from date A to date B, they total the number of days that might be, and divite the total by 4...voila!

So, a warning to all those aspiring to join the regs. While being a keen soldier will reflect well on you and put a few more dollars in your pocket, DON'T think that it will get anything extra out of it when they total up your time.

Anyone wonder why Master Corporals and such who've been in the militia for a long time get busted to private when they CT...thats why. 

BDTyre said:
A friend of mine put in his component transfer...1 1/2 to 2 years ago...and is still waiting.

As a postscript to this, I believe my friend has given up.  All he wanted to do was go from ResF Sig Op to RegF Sig Op.  I believe he's decided to stay in the reserves, but is not actively pursuing other career options.

Here is our 'horror story'.  This process never seems to end -

My husband has had a component transfer on the go since February 2002.  His unit said that he had to do basic first, so he did basic and REDID his transfer all over again in September 2002.  So far he has done this process twice.  A few weeks ago he got a letter in the mail saying that if he didn't contact recruiting, his file would be closed, even tough he had been in contact with them.  They put a note on his file and yesterday he received a phone call saying that they want to close his file because "it would be sitting down there doing nothing" because he doesn't have his degree yet.

(Further info - he is in university, graduating in April of 2005 and he is going DEO.  At first they told him that he could go into the continued education program but after when he put his file in, they told him that he could only go in direct.  When he inquired about his, he was told that he had two choices - to keep his application as direct, or to enter as an NSM and transfer to officer later.  However, she said that this would take the same amount of time and recommended direct entry.)

So at this point, he has followed the advice of recruiting by staying direct and having his file closed to REAPPLY in March 2005.  This will create a lot of extra paper work for his home unit, and he (and I) is frustrated with the process.  We haven't been given any straight answers or the correct advice from anyone.  This is something that he's always wanted to do, but we can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for listening :(

LAURA
TheMilitaryLife.com

BDTyre said:
A friend of mine put in his component transfer...1 1/2 to 2 years ago...and is still waiting.

Similar to a buddy of mine who's waited just under three years now.  QL5 qualified and his trade is open and offering bonuses right now.  Go figure.

A Master Corporal from my reserve unit (1NSH) put in for transfer something like over 2 years ago.He had to redo the process all over again, and again.I don't know why, he was an excellent soldier, probobly one of the best ones we had in the entire battallion =/. Eventually though he just got fed up and quit, he went off to be a police officer in ontario where he was born or something.GL Darrell  :salute: :cdn:

Wow... Im scared.

Ok... out of curiosity, anyone know of any ResF O transfers to RegF O?

Say you are a commissioned 2LT or LT in the ResF....  basically just barely qualified to do anything.... do they make you resign your commission and restart as an OCdt in the regs?

Meridian said:
Wow... Im scared.

Ok... out of curiosity, anyone know of any ResF O transfers to RegF O?

Say you are a commissioned 2LT or LT in the ResF....   basically just barely qualified to do anything.... do they make you resign your commission and restart as an OCdt in the regs?

No, a commission is a commission, regardless of whether you're Reg, Res or CIC.

I had a friend who was a Capt in the Res, he did a tour with 3VP and then component transfered to 3VP when he got back. IIRC, it didn't take more than a couple months. It may have been a special circumstance, he is a Pathfinder afterall.

As long as you do the Reg Phase training, it shouldn't be a problem, if you do the MTSIP(?) training, it may not transfer as easily. This is of course if you're going for the same trade. I think you do go down a rank though no matter what the situation, I knew another guy that went from Capt Res Infantry to Lt Reg Intelligence.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

Well, personally Id push for the phase training.....  but I'm told its harder to get on as a Reservist... and I've heard the units tend to prefer the shorter blocks since you get someone trained faster supposedly that way...

Ahhh well, the CF can change a lot tomorrow, let alone by the time it will apply to me, but I like to research ahead of time.

Cheers!

(As a Pathfinder with roto service, Im not surprised he had an easy transfer.. hardly the ideal reservist example :p)

Hey guys,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think that regular force infantry officer phase traininig is offered to army reservists any more, and the old mitcip pgoram has also been phased out.  The current program for reserve infantry officers is based on the so-called "modular" system with CAP-R program running 5-6 weeks, and then followed by reserve Platoon Commander running another 6 weeks.  There is no mech. infantry officer training for reservists. I have no idea what regular force equivalency is granted to this training, probably not much.  That's the current training system as described to me, if someone has additional information please weigh in, mdh

Back