• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer ( CT ) - Reserve to Regular

There can be multiple reasons why they would recruit off the street vs CT at a specific time.  (In the discussion I am assuming that you are not only looking for a CT, but also an OT).

For example: The next DP1 Basketweaver course will start on February 1st, 2018.  Therefore, we are now recruiting Basketweavers off the street to get them on the 01 September 2017 BMQ so they will graduate ata the beginning of December, in time for the DP1 Basketweaver.

There will be no offering of CT / OTs into Basketweaver before October (ish), to get those folks in place for the same DP1 Basketweaver course.

Different intake plans will have different timelines - it's part of the personnel planning process to try to optimize training throughput.

dipwood said:
Hello
I just wanted to tell y'all that right now if you ct it should go through pretty fast. my ct from armd recce (res) to infantry (reg) only took around 5 months!

This doesn't seem right. I've had a Res Inf to Reg Inf CT in for 18 months now. I had it confirmed last February. Tried several times a month since then to get a hold of my CT Broker with no success. Finally managed to get a hold of them on the phone in March and was informed I was still at number 50 or so on the list. Hopefully with the coming of this new fiscal year more spots have opened up, but again I can not make contact. Congrats on your CT, fingers crossed mine goes through soon!

CT/OT and CT are different sets of numbers, that's why your file has been sitting for so long.

Hi,
I just receive my Letter of Offer to CT from Pres LogO to Dental Tech.  I am trying to navigate my offer and I could use a little help.
I was offered the Rank of Cpl with time credit of 2 years towards my promotion.  I have my BMOQ Land (I did it so long ago it was still called CAP).  From what I have read BMOQ Land will PLAR to PLQ.  If I am correct that is the course need for promotion to MCpl. 
First question:  Am I correct in my previous assumptions?
Second:  How do I put myself in the best possible light to be appointed to MCpl as quickly as possible?
Third:  Any Dental Techs out there who can suggest any DNDLearn courses I could take until I report to my new unit?

Thanks!

CFGF2MP said:
I just receive my Letter of Offer to CT from Pres LogO to Dental Tech. 

You may find these discussions regarding Officer to NCM of interest,

Switching from Officer to NCM ??? 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/25874.0

CT from Officer to NCM 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/58555.0

Officer to NCM 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/59171.0

Switching from Officer to NCM question on pay and rank 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/96892.0

Infantry officer to NCM: Advice?
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fBjygIOpjO8J:army.ca/forums/index.php%3Ftopic%3D122444.0+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

etc...

See also,

From CFGF2MP in Component Transfers (Reserve to Regular): Q&A
Reply #1131
CFGF2MP said:
I put my CT in recently PRes Officer wanting to go NCM Dental Tech Reg F.

CFGF2MP said:
Any Dental Techs out there who can suggest any DNDLearn courses I could take until I report to my new unit?

Dental Technician
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+officer+to+ncm&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Ms9JWd3SNNGR8Qf13LCQBw&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+dental+tech&spf=1498009732159

CFGF2MP said:
How do I put myself in the best possible light to be appointed to MCpl as quickly as possible?

Who has the greatest influence on a Cpl's promotion to Mcpl?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/101096.0

Training involved to go from Corporal to Master Corporal 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/679.0

CFGF2MP said:
From what I have read BMOQ Land will PLAR to PLQ.  If I am correct that is the course need for promotion to MCpl. 
First question:  Am I correct in my previous assumptions?

You would also need to have whatever QL5/DP2 trade course is required for appointment to MCpl if applicable.

CFGF2MP said:
Second:  How do I put myself in the best possible light to be appointed to MCpl as quickly as possible?

Learn the job, once you have experience(and some PERs in trade) and meet the pre requirements and merit it will eventually happen.

Hello, all.

I have recently received a component transfer offer for a Dental Tech position through NCM-SEP.

I just have a couple question about the NCM-SEP. I was able to find out through this website that I would get salary on top of getting all my tuition paid.

1. But would be getting the full salary?

2. Would I be eligible for PLD while I study? (I do need to move out of my current home for a year.)

And if there is any dental techs out there who are willing to share any experience, I would appreciate it since I couldn't really find that in this website.

Thank you.

bsycunja said:
I just have a couple question about the NCM-SEP.

This may help,

Subsidized education plan for Non-Commissioned Members 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/101843.0

NCM SEP questions
https://army.ca/forums/threads/89568.0

Few questions on the NCM-SEP program 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/92910.0
2 pages.

NCM SEP 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/112035.0

SEP and beyond 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/95261.0

etc...

NCM-SEP program questions 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/102062.0

SEP
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+ssep&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=vMhfWd-kOs-fXo7BtuAG&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+sep&start=0&spf=1499449533935

I appreciate your trying to help but as I have already mentioned, I have looked those over multiple times and there is no information on

1. Whether I would be receiving full salary for my rank while in school for NCM-SEP, and

2. If I am eligible for PLD

Ref the part about *full salary*...once you transfer into the Reg Force, yes you should be getting Reg Force pay (except for any period of LWOP, for example) on your transfer date.

About PLD...here is the reference for it.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-205-officer-ncm-allowance-rates.page#sec-45

A question that applies, though, is will you be posted to the area or on a restricted posting i.e. not entitled to a move at public expense and your principle residence, D HG & E remain at your *enrolment* location.

Normally, the first full posting will come after you complete all your initial occupation training...assuming you do your DA program and then have some bridge/follow on training at a CF Training Establishment, you would likely not be posted until after that is all complete and then afforded a move at public expense.

Your CT offer and subsequent messages should have some or all of these details, and I would recommend asking these questions to your broker.

bsycunja said:
I have looked those over multiple times and there is no information on

1. Whether I would be receiving full salary for my rank while in school for NCM-SEP

Forces.ca

When you enrol through the paid college program, the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) will pay for your tuition, books and academic equipment. You will also receive a salary and benefits while you attend school. Your salary includes medical and dental care, as well as vacation time with full pay. In exchange, you must complete two months of service in the CAF for each month of paid tuition. That usually works out to three to four years.
If you qualify for paid college, you will begin your studies at a Canadian college through the Non-Commissioned Member Subsidized Training and Education Plan. During the summer months, you will attend basic training and on-the-job training.
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/education-benefits/paid-education/college.html

The Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) or the Non-Commissioned Member Subsidized Education Plan (NCM SEP) are programs that pay for college or university education.
The CAF pays for classes, books and equipment. While they are in school, CAF members are paid a salary and have health benefits.
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/life/info-families.html

bsycunja said:
2. If I am eligible for PLD

NCM-SEP
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/104683.25
I said:
I have read the pay scales and added PLD and deducted taxes but I don't want to budget off of my own calculation.

Occam said:
Factor it into your budget, but be aware that PLD is subject to change (or cancellation!) at the government's pleasure.  Don't make any financial commitments based on it always being there.  Live within your means based on salary alone.

aesop081 said:
PLD comes and goes. You might get amount X this year, Y the next.

That and, the future existence of PLD is not looking good right now.

See also,

Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/threads/34108.1150.html
47 pages.

As always,  your Broker is your most trusted source of information.

Wow, thank you so much for all information, Eye In The Sky and mariomike! I didn't know brokers also deals with anything after the offer. I'll ask him any further question. Thank you again for steering me into the right direction :)

bsycunja said:
Wow, thank you so much for all information, Eye In The Sky and mariomike! I didn't know brokers also deals with anything after the offer. I'll ask him any further question. Thank you again for steering me into the right direction :)

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

bsycunja said:

The goal, of course, would be to ask the questions BEFORE your eff date of transfer;  officially, after your transfer date you will be part of the Regular Force BTL (Basic training list), which is where you will *belong* until MOC qualified and posted.  It would be better to ask before...asking after, I wouldn't be surprised if you were told to ask your BTL Supervisor or Orderly Room.

I've had my CT In for four years now (INT O, then added INT OP two years ago) Res to Reg.

I have never had a phonecall.

I have never had a real interview.

The only thing I get without hounding are emails when the trade closes.

My "Case Manager" I am informed is my Chief Clerk...

My friendly neighbourhood PSO hasn't been any help, despite that HE IS AN INT O. He has to be the least connected person in the CF.

I send emails, I make phone calls, I ask my CC and I get a lot of crickets and a lot of "I Don't Know." If I ever get a response to an email, it's to ask for yet another copy of my grades and then nothing. I have people tell me they'll look into it; officers, senior NCOs, random Corporals who "Know a guy". I had a friggin recruiter who was getting out say he'd look into it for me after I helped him turn his kit in. No one knows anything useful. I've passed out my SN and name so many times, it's probably become a slang term in the CT world.

Online, it says the trade is open. The only advice I've had from my CC is to VR and re-enlist off the street. However my reaserch indicates that doing this would put me in limbo for the next year before I can re-enlist.

Yes, I read the Int thread. But I feel like this is more a CT process question than an INT question, because...FOUR YEARS?! I think I'm getting screwed here.

First of all; a know a lot of people who have CT and not a one of them had a CC as a case manager/file manager/case officer whatever the title is. They all got the name of some poor unfortunate in TO Or Ottawa and called them often until lo and behold they got an offer. My Chief Clerk is way too busy to help me, certainly not like if I had the name of someone actually in the CT process. And their three predecessors were the same. Probably because they are Chief Clerks and have a whole unit to worry about, not just me. Would seem to make them a poor choice for his job, eh?

Yeah, yeah; "Competitive" sure, sure I know. Well there has never been a competition. I get asked about my CFAT and if I've seen it. Don't these people know that they won't let you see your CFAT? Well the CFRC says mine is near the top, anything but pilot. I'm not a big self-promoter, but I can about guarantee if would ever top a course, it would be the INT course.

yeah, yeah; very busy, undermanned. I can tell because every time I send an email or make a phonecall, someone is on leave and will get back to me.

Here's how I think it should be;

I think my name should be on a list and it should be shuffling it's way along. That makes sense to me. After four years it should be near the front. That's what I said at the beginning; just put me on the list, I know this process takes a while. And here I am.

They should be calling me, emailing me by now to line me up for the next course. Nothing. Something is wrong here.

The trades have opened and closed about four times now since I started. I never hear when it's open, but I get emails sometimes when it's closed; so it must have once been open. It says it's open online as of last week.

But I'm worried I've been lied to since day one and that my name is nowhere. I'm beginning to feel like I've wasted four years of my life because someone lied to me right off the bat. The story of my life is finally getting to the end of any ordeal and learning that back at the beginning, some idiot gave me bad information or just lied to me and that put me on the wrong track. Ironic for someone who is trying to go INT, no? But I ask and ask and I never hear anything back from anyone that contradicts what they tell me.

I have my clearance and I put myself through the six worst years of my life to get the education to be allowed to do this job.

Somebody, please help me.

AFAIK you can't pick an officer trade and a NCM trade at the same time. You can pick 3 NCM trades or 3 Officers trades, but I'm unaware of being able to mix officer/trades. I'll gladly be corrected as I haven't looked into CT's for over a year now  8). I had a CT in for MARS/LOG and I also got the same advice from both CFRC and my broker "If you want it bad it enough, VR and reapply as there are more spots." I was told that the alternative was to wait 5 years for the trades to open up to APPLY.

<rant>
If you look on the DWAN you can find the SIP, which will show the entire intake plan. You will be blown away how many spots are allocated to civilian versus CT (U). Everyone always talks about how so many reservists quit after University (which I'm not denying), but then we don't bother to recruit the ones that actually want to make a career out of it. So eventually they get a full time job and end up saying "no thanks". I have several friends who would of joined the regs (myself included), but there weren't any spots allocated for CT's... These people now have great careers with the RCMP, Corrections or doing a similar job in the civilian world. Oh well...

I understand that isn't as simple as giving CPL bloggins a job, because he was a reservist. However if we look at the "big-green machine" what is the difference between a CT (U) and someone being hired off the street? The CT (U) has Basic done and that is about it, they still need to take all relevant trades courses in their new occupation. Obviously if we take a reservist from any unit we then need to replace the member. However, if a member has indicated that they want full time work, why is it expected that the reservist will stay with the unit working part-time indefinitely? This is the piece of the puzzle that I've never understood.
</Rant>

My honest advice is to call any broker and ask who your broker is. Once you find out who your broker is then ask for a "no bullshit" assessment. If you don't like what you hear then release and reapply. I think it is a 6 month waiting period if you have already met your trade standard, but you might want to verify that. Alternatively, you can apply elsewhere and deny your CT once you finally receive it. I would imagine that it would be still be fairly difficult to get into INT O or INT OP off the street. You might want to look at other trades...

Good luck,

runormal said:
AFAIK you can't pick an officer trade and a NCM trade at the same time. You can pick 3 NCM trades or 3 Officers trades, but I'm unaware of being able to mix officer/trades. I'll gladly be corrected as I haven't looked into CT's for over a year now  8). I had a CT in for MARS/LOG and I also got the same advice from both CFRC and my broker "If you want it bad it enough, VR and reapply as there are more spots." I was told that the alternative was to wait 5 years for the trades to open up to APPLY.

My honest advice is to call any broker and ask who your broker is. Once you find out who your broker is then ask for a "no bullshit" assessment. If you don't like what you hear then release and reapply. I think it is a 6 month waiting period if you have already met your trade standard, but you might want to verify that. Alternatively, you can apply elsewhere and deny your CT once you finally receive it. I would imagine that it would be still be fairly difficult to get into INT O or INT OP off the street. You might want to look at other trades...

Good luck,

When I first asked about VR/re-enlist I was told 100% DO NOT DO IT; INT does not take people off the street. I know now the second part was a lie.

More recently what I was told was that if I VR, there is aone-year cooling off period before you can re-enlist and you take your chances.

Broker is the term? Did that; they swore to me that my broker was my CC. Sound like BS? I think so too, but every time I've asked, this is what they tell me. Just thrills my CC too.

I've been dying for a no bullshit "Where am I on the list" so I can make an informed decision about what to do. I can't get one.

Legions of people telling me to give up though. Wow is that a popular refrain.

Shrek1985 said:
Broker is the term? Did that; they swore to me that my broker was my CC. Sound like BS? I think so too, but every time I've asked, this is what they tell me. Just thrills my CC too.
Who is this "they" you keep referring to?

So I just looked at my email

CONFIRMATION - RECEIPT OF COMPONENT TRANSFER (CT) APPLICATION

The Director Military Career Policy and Grievance (DMCPG 5-5) has received a component transfer request for Cpl XXXX

2.  *** Email us a copy of your official high school or college or university transcripts with your name and your service number***

3.  ***PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO YOUR CHIEF CLERK**
*:  Unless otherwise specified, you will be the unit’s point of contact to assist the member with their component transfer.

I'm pretty that whoever is telling you "chief clerk" is confused by this. When I went to my chief clerk, they didn't know the procedure (the cc was reg-f). However I got my CC a contact and then they had a discussion, just so that they understood the process.

There are CT Brokers who are in charge of hundreds of files, when I called mine he said "you are position 5 on the list for NAV COMM, I estimate that it will take 2 years". He was right, but by the time I got an offer, I had a better job on the civilian side.

The CT broker is equivalent to your "File Manager" when you joined initially.

Is there a stipulation stating that your pay cannot go down upon transfer to the RegF, or is that hearsay? As an OCdt in the PRes on Class B, I made approximately $2800 monthly, after taxes and deductions. As a Civvie U ROTP OCdt in the RegF, it seems I will be making $1200 monthly under the same circumstances.

I know that former NCMs are pay protected at their former rank, and I realize that I have no "former rank" to be pay protected at, but am I in any way pay protected at my Class B rate?

Back