• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer ( CT ) - Reserve to Regular

There have been instances where reservists are not given recruit school bypass because they do not have the time-in to earn it.

PuckChaser said:
There have been instances where reservists are not given recruit school bypass because they do not have the time-in to earn it.

- Thus my above post "Why not?  Off to CFLRS St. Jean you go!"

Hello, was wondering if I could get a little advice on my current situation.  I am currently a naval reservist attending a regular course BMQ at CFLRS (currently on Christmas break and with only three weeks to go until graduation).  I was wondering how and when i should go about applying for a component transfer to regular force (I have been told by different sources that i should wait until my return to BMQ to request this and others have told me i should go on-line, and yet others have told me i should wait until my BMQ finishes) , i would also like to change trades during this process from NCIOP to Mar El.  I have heard that this process can take several weeks to complete and I was also wondering if can go on contract while still on reserves to continue working full time after my BMQ ends (and while my application is in process) and if so who can i talk to in order to achieve this.  Any assistance in this matter would be very much appreciated.

GazHead-Go through CFRC upon completion of your BMQ for your CT (as it involves an OT). As for going on contract while your CT goes through, go through your home units CoC.

GazHead said:
Hello, was wondering if I could get a little advice on my current situation.  I am currently a naval reservist attending a regular course BMQ at CFLRS (currently on Christmas break and with only three weeks to go until graduation).  I was wondering how and when i should go about applying for a component transfer to regular force (I have been told by different sources that i should wait until my return to BMQ to request this and others have told me i should go on-line, and yet others have told me i should wait until my BMQ finishes) , i would also like to change trades during this process from NCIOP to Mar El.  I have heard that this process can take several weeks to complete and I was also wondering if can go on contract while still on reserves to continue working full time after my BMQ ends (and while my application is in process) and if so who can i talk to in order to achieve this.  Any assistance in this matter would be very much appreciated.

My advice would be to finish your BMQ, go back to your unit and apply for a CT to ET then. If there is no course starting soon, you may get a contract to do your basic trades training in Quebec. If there is a course for ET starting , it may be a wait of as little as a month before you can get into the regs.

Love793 said:
GazHead-Go through CFRC upon completion of your BMQ for your CT (as it involves an OT). As for going on contract while your CT goes through, go through your home units CoC.

The online form is still used for CT-OTs, not CFRC.  The CFRC only becomes involved after they get contacted by DMCA, to arrange interviews with the PSO, make sure your CFAT scores will permit a OT, etc.

ONT said:
Reservists can attend a regular force BMQ?

If your unit knows the right people to call, and you've got the free time to do it during the year, you're good to go.

So can you request your unit to send you on a regular force BMQ or is it something that just happens once in a while?

Reg F serials are being run at capacity right now.  NavRes stood up their own school at Borden to train Naval Reservists - and their spare capacity is being used for Reg F overflow.

Army Reserve will not be loading people on course in St Jean because they do not own the courses - and a Res candidate would get bumped for a Reg F candidate.

In addition, the Reg F serials are a somewhat rich product.  The number of mind-numbing periods on topics of key utility such as the ins and outs of the CFSS, how to open a bank account, and others are not all required for the average Res F soldier.  While the Res courses may be too thin in some areas, Reg F training could do with a bit of trimming as well - either assume the folks coming in have basic skills (and select on entry to be sure of it).  or even (gasp) stream people on entry, with 9,11 and 13 week courses, depending on entry evaluations - let the streamers go faster.

Reg force courses may be longer but also seem to have too much downtime and boredom. Reserve courses on the other hand can miss out on some cool stuff, but may end up being more of a culture shock in the end. Personally I'm glad I did my basic courses in the reserves, but for trades training etc the reg force courses are probably best (especially if you can attend as a reservist, thus having the best of both worlds)

Just my 2 cents.

popnfresh said:
Reg force courses may be longer but also seem to have too much downtime and boredom. ...

- I take it you never went through one of my Cornwallis platoons?

;D

dapaterson said:
... In addition, the Reg F serials are a somewhat rich product.  The number of mind-numbing periods on topics of key utility such as the ins and outs of the CFSS, how to open a bank account, and others are not all required for the average Res F soldier.  While the Res courses may be too thin in some areas, Reg F training could do with a bit of trimming as well - either assume the folks coming in have basic skills (and select on entry to be sure of it).  or even (gasp) stream people on entry, with 9,11 and 13 week courses, depending on entry evaluations - let the streamers go faster.

- Longer/shorter courses would be a scheduling nightmare at the same base.  Longer courses allow a better look at the recruit, gives them the time to develop physically and result in less injuries.  I agree that bumpf periods could be deleted, if the elements could agree on which periods are bumpf.  There should be MUCH more emphasis on weapons firing.

TCBF said:
- Longer/shorter courses would be a scheduling nightmare at the same base.  Longer courses allow a better look at the recruit, gives them the time to develop physically and result in less injuries.  I agree that bumpf periods could be deleted, if the elements could agree on which periods are bumpf.  There should be MUCH more emphasis on weapons firing.

Meh.  We already have variable length courses - folks who are unfit are loaded into Fitness And Training platoons until they can meet a bare minimum standard, then start their course.

Perhaps we need to move to a higher enrolment standard?

Back