• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comparing the Regiments (PPCLI, RCR, and R22eR) and thier bases

The Six said:
DON'T KNOW ABOUT 1PPCLI, BUT 3 PPCLI TREATED THEIR NEWLY-RETURNED AFGHAN VETS LIKE CRAP. 
What do you have to back this up with? Who are you for that matter and why haven't filled out your profile?

The Six said:
DON'T KNOW ABOUT 1PPCLI, BUT 3 PPCLI TREATED THEIR NEWLY-RETURNED AFGHAN VETS LIKE CRAP. 
pop by my office. It's lunch. We'll close the door, there's nobody close enough to overhear. Lay it out for me. I'm upstairs in the Ops WO office, right between the Ass Adj and Ass Ops O. They're both gone on taskings. Come on up and spill your guts.

Edited: Removed saucy post

He (paracowboy) is serious.

Troop should go have a chat with him.

no. I'm very serious. If some troop coming abck has a legit grievance about how they were treated on their return, I want to know. I'm in a spot where I can be heard, and I have enough 'cred' up here that I get listened to. I may get told to piss off sometimes, but I DO get heard. I know for a cold-certain fact that the CO and DCO would want to know if their troops were getting screwed over, and would take steps to correct it.

So I want to hear this. If it's legit, things will be sorted. Or at least, I'll be heard ranting about it for weeks. (Yes, I rant just as much in person, at work, as I do on here. Except I swear even more in person.)

Hmmm.... he went quiet all of a sudden
wonder who peed in his corn flakes....

If the man has a legit beef, there are several people here who can act & fix things
If the man ran off at the mouth & fired from the hip, he's gonna find his credibility will be questioned at every turn.

IT makes me feel good knowing that if something hit the fan or just shouldn't be there (like the thoughts in my head, I shouldn't be thinking period), that something will be done to rectify it. Kudos PC.  :salute:

tlg said:
IT makes me feel good knowing that if something hit the fan or just shouldn't be there (like the thoughts in my head, I shouldn't be thinking period), that something will be done to rectify it. Kudos PC.  :salute:
well, here's something that has always driven me nuts - every OC has an OC's hour, where kicks out everyone above the rank of MCpl (in some cases Jacks go to. Which isn't a bad idea.) and lets the troops go. "What's buggin' ya, boys? What's pissin' you off? Let me have it."

And nobody says a damn thing. Just sit there. Starin' at the Major. Who's starin' right back, waitin' to hear what the troops want to gripe about. He doesn't care if pay, food, or training. He can't fix it, if nobody speaks up. And NOBODY DOES.

Then they go and whine and bitch about how everything is screwed up and nobody listens.

At least every 3 months or so, AT LEAST, a Bn CO will do the same thing. Kick everyone out above the rank of MCpl and ask the same thing: "What's buggin' ya, troops?" and if the sergeants aren't there to start it, nobody speaks.

Boys, the CoC will listen if you talk to them. They may tell you to stop whining and suck it up, but they WILL listen. And your complaints are heard. If enough troops have the same complaint, then only a complete dickhead will ignore them. And the other MWOs, WOs, and Officers know who the dickheads are, and will go out of their way to check on the troops under said dickhead's command.

Remember, that Sgt-Maj was a private once, too. And his boss used to hit him. So he knows what it's like. And worse. You're his kids, and he has responsibilites and duties to you, as well as to the CoC. He has to balance them, but he will try to work for you IF YOU TELL HIM THE PROBLEM.

Or he'll just have you pick up cigarette butts for three days.  ;D

paracowboy said:
Boys, the CoC will listen if you talk to them. They may tell you to stop whining and suck it up, but they WILL listen. And your complaints are heard. If enough troops have the same complaint, then only a complete dickhead will ignore them. And the other MWOs, WOs, and Officers know who the dickheads are, and will go out of their way to check on the troops under said dickhead's command.

Preach it brother!

Really - when they ask - they really want to know...

Especially in the Patricias.

Another thing is that said WOs and MWOs AND CWOs have an obligation to the troops.
If they know that their troops are being screwed over and he/they don't do anything about it, they along with their officers are subject to a whole lot of grief.

1st thing to do - is to speak up and come forward with some specific "for instances".

+1 Para

I only wish things had been like this when I was in.  :salute:

Dude has no idea what screwed over upon return really is, especially when you have a chain of command like this.

I'm with geo on this one. Any OC or CO who needs to go around his chain of command to 'get at the truth' is, knowingly or not, probably demonstrating a lack of confidence in the ability of his/her NCOs and Officers to do their jobs.

And obviously, any soldier who speaks up in this kind of forum could also be hammered for it later on, out of site of the OC/CO, so likely no mysteries there about why soldiers clam up in these kinds of public meetings.

I had no problem speaking up about my concerns when I was in, even as a lowly private. I was never charged for speaking my mind, however nobody ever really listened surprise surprise. Mostly I was just told to shut up.

So I left to civie land.

daftandbarmy said:
Any OC or CO who needs to go around his chain of command to 'get at the truth' is, knowingly or not, probably demonstrating a lack of confidence in the ability of his/her NCOs and Officers to do their jobs.
bullshit. This has been a tradition in the Canadian Army for as long as we've had one.

And obviously, any soldier who speaks up in this kind of forum could also be hammered for it later on, out of site of the OC/CO, so likely no mysteries there about why soldiers clam up in these kinds of public meetings.
again, bullshit. Any troop who gets hammered for speaking up would immediately be able to go to the CO about it. That's why it's done. So the CO can talk directly to the troops. Any NCO or Officer who tried to shit on a troop for something troopie said in a CO or OC's hour, would get a blast of shit from his superior, and would lose all respect from his peers and subordinates.

At most, all that NCO or Officer can do is grab the Coy or Bn or whatever-size unit, and explain to the troopies the Why's and Wherefore's. Anything else just loses them all credibility, and can get them shat upon by their CoC.

We're an Army. But we're an Army of volunteers, with a history of egalitarianism. The Patricias far more so than The RCR.

paracowboy said:
bullshit. This has been a tradition in the Canadian Army for as long as we've had one.

Exactly, we just called them 'smokers' back in the 80's. Everyone knew there would be 'talk-time' and you trusted your buddies to shut you up if you "talked" too much. :warstory:

What were the good points of Shilo, besides the range, and Winnipeg being two or three hours away? Cheap rent?

Cheers,

V 

V - if you have something to contribute to a discussion about a unit, please pipe in anytime now..... if you want to simply hang around here and troll with comments that  make no sense or make no point, think again.

V said:
  What were the good points of Shilo, besides the range, and Winnipeg being two or three hours away? Cheap rent?

The good points of Shilo would be its resemblence to the Western Front during the Cold war. It was very often used by nations such as Germany for training because of the similarities.

And nobody says a damn thing. Just sit there. Starin' at the Major. Who's starin' right back, waitin' to hear what the troops want to gripe about. He doesn't care if pay, food, or training. He can't fix it, if nobody speaks up. And NOBODY DOES.

So, if it's apparently so safe to speak out, any thoughts on why the troops choose to remain silent?

Back