• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineer education qualifications

Pieman

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Hello,

Normally this would go in the recruiting section, but I felt that I might be able to get more detailed answers here. Mods, feel free to move it if necessary.

For someone who wants to become a Combat Engineer, but does not have a Engineering degree, rather a B.Sc. in the pure sciences such as Physics, Maths,  etc.

The DND recruiting website says that they prefer people with specific Engineering backgrounds, but will accept  applications from people with B.Sc. backgrounds too. But what are the odds of being chosen if you don't have a Engineering degree? Would someone with a B.Sc. be put on the 'just in case' pile, or would their odds be good?

Thanks.

Pieman

Pieman said:
Hello,

Normally this would go in the recruiting section, but I felt that I might be able to get more detailed answers here. Mods, feel free to move it if necessary.

For someone who wants to become a Combat Engineer, but does not have a Engineering degree, rather a B.Sc. in the pure sciences such as Physics, Maths,   etc.

The DND recruiting website says that they prefer people with specific Engineering backgrounds, but will accept   applications from people with B.Sc. backgrounds too. But what are the odds of being chosen if you don't have a Engineering degree? Would someone with a B.Sc. be put on the 'just in case' pile, or would their odds be good?

Thanks.

Pieman

I can't realy answer your question but if its any indication, i have never met, in my 11 years as a sapper, an engineer officer that did not have a civil, chemical, mechanical or environmental engineering degree.

Wow, that says a lot. Plenty of Engineers out there, so I guess there is no need to shop elsewhere. However, in my mind a little diversity in the disciplines of a group, would be healthy and add to their capabilities.   

I've met quite a few engineers who do not have an engineering degree.  I don't, another guy has a degree in physics, another just has a diploma.....I've met some combat engineers who claim that going into this trade was a waste of their degrees....

take that for whats it's worth....

Well, I tossed my hat in the ring for Engineer Officer. The recruiters were saying to me that there are only 12 Engineer positions open this coming selection board. They think I make a strong candidate, but when there are that few positions, and a preference for people with B.Eng. degrees, the odds are probably against me in this situation. Oh well, we will see what happens. My other trade choices are just as interesting, so no real loss either way.

Go for Sapper first and do it and see what it's like and see if you like the life of a Sapper.

Pieman said:
Well, I tossed my hat in the ring for Engineer Officer. The recruiters were saying to me that there are only 12 Engineer positions open this coming selection board. They think I make a strong candidate, but when there are that few positions, and a preference for people with B.Eng. degrees, the odds are probably against me in this situation. Oh well, we will see what happens. My other trade choices are just as interesting, so no real loss either way.

Well, for what it's worth, in the IAP/BOTP courses that ended in December, I believe there were only 3 Engineers. Lots of Sigs and CELE though. So there may not be many people applying for the Engineering position. That might make it easier to make it in.

Go for Sapper first and do it and see what it's like and see if you like the life of a Sapper.
That would be ideal, but I can't afford the pay cut going the NCM route at the moment. (external financial stuff)

I *think* I have a fairly good understanding of what a Eng. Officer does, my aim is to get a good mix of technical skills while getting my hands dirty in the combat arena.

I believe there were only 3 Engineers. Lots of Sigs and CELE though. So there may not be many people applying for the Engineering position.
Could be that there were only 3 Eng. positions open? With the amount of Engineers pumped out of Universities each year, I would find it surprising that so few would not be attracted to the CF.

Pieman said:
Could be that there were only 3 Eng. positions open? With the amount of Engineers pumped out of Universities each year, I would find it surprising that so few would not be attracted to the CF.

Well, that may be possible, but to be honest, I doubt very much that MOC 24 attracts many engineers. I'm just starting out, but from my understanding of the training, it is pretty demanding, not too mention after the training. It is a combat arms trade so a lot of people aren't attracted to the idea of getting their hands dirty and being very close to the front lines.

i hope being a sapper is all its cut out to be.

I'm going for my BMQ Monday then I'm off for my sapper course. i saw in a earlier post that only 12 positions were open for the next sapper opening ,   makes me glad i got picked, out of the bunch .!!! ;D

i saw in a earlier post that only 12 positions were open for the next sapper opening
Those 12 positions are for the Officer selection board this coming June.

Good luck on your BMQ! Would be interested to know how many sappers are on your course, so drop a line when you get time.

Back